What's new

Best VI Drum Machine?

pfmusic

Hello,

I recently bought u-he zebra 2 and Diva and experimenting with some electro sounds with my main focus on cinematic vibes.

Can you recommend a good drum VI? Something that covers 80's to modern electro / cinematic music?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Patrick

Electronic drum sounds are synthesized - there is no black magic going on behind the scenes. You can program those sounds with Zebra or Diva or whatever else you happen to have.

Electronic drum sounds are synthesized - there is no black magic going on behind the scenes. You can program those sounds with Zebra or Diva or whatever else you happen to have.
I understand that but looking for something that has a programmable grid and sequencer. I have some of that but asking if there's anything interesting out there.

Best I've found are Evolution and Revolution by Wave Alchemy.

And also buy sample kits like from That Sound or Ghxst and punch in the drums yourself. It's worth learning the basics of high hats and kicks, etc

Best I've found are Evolution and Revolution by Wave Alchemy.

And also buy sample kits like from That Sound or Ghxst and punch in the drums yourself. It's worth learning the basics of high hats and kicks, etc
Thanks, will check them out :)

I understand that but looking for something that has a programmable grid and sequencer
I don't see why that is needed. Isn't your DAW essentially a sequencer with grids? I used to own FXpansion Geist which had what you describe, but I soon found out it's super clunky to essentially use a sequencer inside a sequencer.

Last edited:
I don't see why that is needed. Isn't your DAW essentially a sequencer with grids? I used to own FXpansion Geist which had what you describe, but I soon found out it's super clunky to essentially use a sequencer inside sequencer.

Hi, I'm asking to see if there's anything different out there, rather than what I have.

I've just finished a complete set-list of classic 80's synthpop covers and used Spark 2 (pretty much 80% the Linn Dream preset).

I disagree. The reason I like evolution and revolution is because apart from the great sounds and tweakability, it's easy to punch in a pattern into the built-in grid and loop it while trying different hits and adjusting velocity. Much easier than fiddling with pencil tool blindly in Logic piano roll (and Ultrabeat is no better). It's easy to drag the pattern into midi channel too

I don't see why that is needed.

All depends on how you like your workflow. If you used to do it back in the day then using a drum machine VI is probably easier than using a piano roll.

Depending on how your DAW drum grid/piano roll looks it's a lot easier to keep everything in the VI window too. I'd hate to program drum patterns in Pro Tools.

After doing my 80's set, and with more synthwave stuff to do I've even gone out and bought a TR8s to do it like I used to back in the day. Punching physical sequence buttons to create patterns is very therapeutic! The TR8s let's you load you load your own samples too so best of both worlds.

Let's see...

Really like Sonic couture Electro Acoustic:
https://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/28-rare-and-experimental/g58-electro-acoustic/
Wonderful samples and amp/room/ sound system mics! Check the videos, I use it all the time.

Heavyocity DM307, wait for a half price sale...
https://heavyocity.com/product/dm-307/
Many different sets of sounds, good when I'm looking for something different yet "produced". Some great beats and a beat machine too.

If you like quirky like Konkrete mentioned above, check this out:
https://soniccharge.com/microtonic
No aax, but Au and vst and a great online library of endless free sounds. So cool.
Also microtonic is all synthesized, no samples like the others, very small and works great. Like U-He some great sounding oscillators and filters.

But all three have some great solid stuff, just different styles.

Sounds like you should check out Mashcine in all it's forms. It's built in Drum synths are outstanding! Better yet, you can host synths within it like Zebra, Reaktor, or ANY VST for additional drum synth goodness all under one roof. Also, U-He is reported to be releasing a drum synth VST soonish and with their track record, it should be a must have...

I second the Revolution recommendation. I have it and love it. The samples are really extensive; they give you multiple versions (tape, mastered, lofi) of each drum machine and sometimes they include two different hardware versions of the same model. Plus the interface and corresponding key commands are a really nice touch for creating your own grooves, old school style. Add a very comprehensive efx section and you have a winner. Highly recommended.

https://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/revolution/pid179/

I still use Stylus RMX, old I know. Great selection of patches and sounds, along with dozens of third party libraries out there in RMX and Rex format. I know it’s loop based, but you can manipulate the hell out of it. Once you get under the hood there is a ridiculous amount of voodoo and wizardry to get you great results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom