What's new

Best upright piano 6000- 8500 USD..?

OleJoergensen

hello Forum.

Anyone who can give advice concerning a good New uprigth piano, good sound and capeable of being used many hours each day. Price range 6000-85000 USD...?

Ole.

Edit December 2020: Piano bought :).

Last edited:
It's hard to go past a Yamaha U3 for a new Japanese piano in that price bracket (although probably at the upper end of your budget). Also, I wouldn't dismiss a fully restored German or American upright from the 1920-1930s. These were some of the finest upright pianos ever made (considered to be the 'Golden Era' of piano manufacturing). It would need to be from a reputable restorer/workshop. Brands to look for are Bechstein (Berlin Germany) Richard Lipp (Stuttgart Germany), Mason & Hamlin (USA), Baldwin (USA), Ronisch (German).

I sold my 4 year old Yamaha U3 in 1990 and bought a large 1928 Richard Lipp & Sohns upright piano from a piano tuner. Never regretted it. The Lipp is an incredible piano (still has the original Ebony & Ivory keys in perfect condition) with a depth of tone I could never achieve with my Yamaha U3 (even after tuning & extensive voicing).

Richard_Lipp_Upright.jpg

I'm on the hunt for an upright piano as well (although with a more limited budget). I remembered about C. Henson's Schimmel so I went to watch some videos. Man, no comparison with what I heard so far, they are absolutely incredible!

It's hard to go past a Yamaha U3 for a new Japanese piano in that price bracket (although probably at the upper end of your budget). Also, I wouldn't dismiss a fully restored German or American upright from the 1920-1930s. These were some of the finest upright pianos ever made (considered to be the 'Golden Era' of piano manufacturing). It would need to be from a reputable restorer/workshop. Brands to look for are Bechstein (Berlin Germany) Richard Lipp (Stuttgart Germany), Mason & Hamlin (USA), Baldwin (USA), Ronisch (German).

I sold my 4 year old Yamaha U3 in 1990 and bought a large 1928 Richard Lipp & Sohns upright piano from a piano tuner. Never regretted it. The Lipp is an incredible piano (still has the original Ebony & Ivory keys in perfect condition) with a depth of tone I could never achieve with my Yamaha U3 (even after tuning & extensive voicing).

Richard_Lipp_Upright.jpg
Thank you for the detailed post, I will remember that.

I'm on the hunt for an upright piano as well (although with a more limited budget). I remembered about C. Henson's Schimmel so I went to watch some videos. Man, no comparison with what I heard so far, they are absolutely incredible!
Do you lnow what model it is?

I also think what type of music you will be playing will factor in greatly. If you lean more towards pop you are gonna want a Yamaha.

It is actually for teaching purpose. So both pop, classical, film music etc. + it has to be an instrument there can handle many hours of playing each day.
Of course I must try out the different brands. If a didn’t have a limited budget it would be easy (and a concert hall) :).
For privat use, Im happy with a powerful computer, midi controller, Embertone Steinway and a good reverb :).

Im quite suprise to discover Bechstein top end upright piano cost 40.000 USD (at least in Denmark).

No better place than Craigslist for that.
There’s 9 excellent ones this week there.
I’ve already got one from last year.
Spent about 1200 bucks restoring it, 500 buying it.

I don’t care much for the feel or sound of new Pianos.
Or the price even though craftsmen deserve money.
I have my restorer go with me.
Also got an ancient 48 track recording console for 40 bucks.
Matching tape decks, Otari and Teac were 650.

CList is a onestop shop.
Check it out first.

I had the pleassure to visit 3 pianoshops and try many wonderful piano and grand piano. I din’t know there were so many wonderful brands.
Particular Wilhelm Steinberg. I tried a grand B model (212 cm). It has such a wonderful and musical tone and timbre, also a beautiful instrument. I tried a piano W. Steinberg model 125, which also is wonderful. Both comes in 2 version. 1. Build in Asia and adjusted in Leipzig- Germany.
2. 100% build in Leipzig. The German version cost 2 times the price for the piano and 1.5 the price for the grand piano.
I also had the plesseaure to try the top grand piano of Steinway, Bechstein and Fazioli. Oh mine!
Boston, Kawai, Hoffmann, Yamaha.
It was a great day.

Last edited:
Reactions: CGR
Finally the musicschool I teach at, recieved the new pianos :)
I made a short video, showing Wilhelm Steinberg upright piano, German model s125.
It has similar mechanical and keyboard as used in Steinway and Fazioli.
It is a quite exspensive piano. In Denmark it cost app. 12500 Euro.
I dont have the best hardware to do recording but I think it can be used.

It is new to me to record "live" audio and film, so any inspiration will be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Reactions: CGR
A demo of the Chinese/ German model- Wilhelm Steinberg P128.
This model is half the price compared to S128.
It does not have the same advanced mechanical as S128, and it is build in China, imported in Germany and regulated.
It has a wonderful bass and soft tone.
Here recorded audio and picture with Osmo action cam...

Last edited:
Top Bottom