What's new

Best tin whistle library?

Guffy

Been checking out Ilya Efimov's tin whistle.
Anyone got this?
I couldn't find any videos demonstrating it, but the demos sound great.
I'm curious as to how easy it is to use.
The Duduk sounds fantastic out of the box, and the playability is great.
Does the same go for this library?

Any other alternatives out there? I already have Embertone Shire Whistle, but i'm looking for a more deep sampled tin whistle.

Recording my own isn't an option (I suck etc).

Thanks!

CineWinds Pro also has a nice Irish Flute and penny whistle, but at 49€ For that many articulations (10), Ilya Efimov Tin Whistle is a good deal (they also have sales from time to time). Their Accordian is also sweet sounding and easy to play as the Duduk. They do a great job with guitars too. :)

https://www.ilyaefimov.com

Thanks for starting this thread. I listened and priced them out, ended with the Embertone for $20, immediately wrote an "Irish Meadows love theme from wistful Braveheart" sort of dealio. :)

Tin whistle from T.D. Samples contains various articulations - £3.99. It is also available as part of a wind instrument bundle featuring eight instruments - £12.99.

https://www.sampleism.com/tdsamples

I've got cinewinds pro, eastwest (Ra) and embertone (shire whistle), and of the three I would take embertone any day. The embertone one is a lot more deeply sampled and I find it a lot more nimble and expressive than the cinewinds one. I haven't heard the Ilya one, but if it's anything like his other libraries I'm sure it will be fantastic.

What I find funny is that almost all of these sample packs are more expensive than an actual tin whistle! You can get quite nice and very playable whistles for around $20. They are also very easy to play (I started playing them about 2 months ago and am already using them in my scores) and no sample will come close to the sound of an actual live played whistle.

Here's an example from a score I did earlier this year. I recorded the whistle with a single condenser mic sitting right in front of my PC.

Last edited:
Been checking out Ilya Efimov's tin whistle.
Anyone got this?
I couldn't find any videos demonstrating it, but the demos sound great.
I'm curious as to how easy it is to use.
The Duduk sounds fantastic out of the box, and the playability is great.
Does the same go for this library?

Any other alternatives out there? I already have Embertone Shire Whistle, but i'm looking for a more deep sampled tin whistle.

Recording my own isn't an option (I suck etc).

Thanks!
Full Disclosure: Ilya kindly let me do a demo for him with the Irish Tin Whistle.

That aside, I've used it in a number of other pieces since then. It's really a terrific library and extremely flexible. I love Shire Whistle, but there are certain distinctive "tin whistle" stylings that the Irish Tin Whistle does very easily but are much more difficult to pull off with Shire Whistle.

Kurt

Top Bottom