Best Solo Cello?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Daniel James, May 10, 2019.

1. Daniel James

Daniel James Senior Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Best solo cello out there, other than Tina Guo by Cinesamples???

-DJ

2. chapbot

chapbot omnivore

Feb 7, 2017
    Chris Hein, Virharmonic

Pixelee and Daniel James like this.
  3. stfciu

stfciu Active Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Depending what you're looking for.

When I was looking for one, first thing for me was the tone.

I use Emotional Cello and it is a lovely instrument. Very comprehensive and you receive a lot of things than regular articulations. I hear some small quirks in the legato transition volume/intonation when you engage the RR and there are some few faulty samples on below medium dynamics where what I can describe "strange knocking" is present (somewhere around lower part F and G) but it is nothing that I can get through. Still think this is one of the best.

Still have my eyes on Chris Hein. Also great tone and a lot of articulations as well. What is more, you receive four instruments at once with different timbre and style.

Then, on my radar at least, there are:
    Cinematic Solo Strings
    Audio Modeling Cello (imagination is your limit here but you have to work on this more than others)
    Spitfire Solo Strings
    Embertone Blakus Cello
    Virharmonic
    ...in that order

Hope this helps.

BR
    Sebastian

4. zimm83

zimm83 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2017
    France
    OT's Nocturne cello. Very agile legatos ( 14 types .....).

whiskers likes this.
  5. oxo

oxo Active Member

Feb 27, 2011
    i do not know what is "the best". for me the best sounding cello is the tina guo acoustic cello legato ...but as you know for sure, it is only very limited useable.
    when i look at the market, i usually see solo cellos that are either easy to play, where you can quickly get "into the flow"...but they are not very flexible and are only suitable for a few situations (tempo, style, etc). or i see monster libraries with lots of articulations that require a lot of effort to program, so the cello sounds good in the composition (for example chris hein solo cello, nocturne cello, emotional cello ...).

i own chris hein solo cello. with the current update you get 4 different sounding cellos. the library is extremely flexible with tons of articulations and options for customizations and tweeks. chris did a very good job. theoretically everything i can wish for. but .... the operating concept deviates strongly from libraries i'm used to otherwise. it is very logical and ingenious, but difficult for me to get used to. i lose myself in programming, instead of playing.

so what is "the best"? you can play immediately out of box beautiful lines ... but only suitable for certain kind of music. or is "the best", you can almost do everything ... but you feel like a midi cc event juggler.
    in addition, one must like the sound and that it must fit well into the mix. everything depends on the personal taste.

6. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Active Member

May 8, 2017
    Call me "unsophisticated" but i love the first and second chair cellos in LASS.

pderbidge likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Daniel James

Daniel James Senior Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I want to hear what all of your personal favourites are. I know best is subjective. Thats why I am asking the group and not individuals :)

-DJ

8. KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    Emotional Cello for me

SoNowWhat? likes this.
  9. mikeh-375

mikeh-375 old school

Feb 8, 2016
    Earth
    Just finished programming a cello concerto of mine in lieu of a real player and used mainly Hein. None come close to the real thing obviously, but Hein has some reasonable control on portamento which helps, along with a good choice of articulations. I also used some Emotional cello, SFA Wigmore cello and VSL in places. If I could only have one, it'd be Hein, unless Isserlis or Yo Yo Ma are available..;)

10. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
  11. Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    I'm waiting (and hoping) for a solo cello from Embertone of the same calibre as the Joshua Bell violin. It's always a special moment when I load that up.

kessel, Sean, MPortmann and 1 other person like this.
  12. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Beware of the legato. It's not that great. It has the dub dub dub sound during the legato note transition. I find it very unusable. Other articulations sound great though. I've owned it for years but end up didn't use it at all.

Vladimir Bulaev likes this.
  13. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Emotional cello for me...

SoNowWhat? likes this.
  14. Dominik Raab

Dominik Raab Active Member

Apr 29, 2011
    For a few months now, their site has been displaying something along the lines of: "We dropped the price of our solo strings to 99 bucks in anticipation of a large update."

I really hope that's it.

Sarah Mancuso likes this.
  15. Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Has someone tried the VSL Solo Cello 2? Would like to know what you think about it.

16. Rv5

Rv5 Senior Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Throwing forward my own offering: The Alder Cello, something a little different.

https://www.waverunneraudio.com/shop/alder-cello/

Also think it was the first if not only (correct me if I’m wrong) solo cello library offering the ‘seagull effect’ articulation ala George Crumb, much loved from my uni days.

We will update this library with legato one day. Spicc and Pizz to be added soon... Plus, for every sale, we plant a tree.

The Low Tide violin and cello patches are just glorious - you could score a scene with these alone. I find myself wanting to play these patches not as a traditional stringed instrument at all and layering up loads of intervals, and the tone and expressiveness makes for a spectacular blend of real and unreal when played like that.” - Guy Rowland

erica-grace, stfciu and ism like this.
  17. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I recently wrote this about the cello in spitfire solo strings:

(It's not hyperbole, but its obviously dramatized in a way that probably makes more sense in the context of the origional thread that this one).

And then tried to capture this sense in slightly more technical terms on a different thread, with refecence to this noodle:

So for Bach - Blakus cello tends to be my favourite. So long as I don't really need to use the dynamics or vibrato (which are simulated and at best okish)

For Tina Guo-esqe lines, well, Tina Guo Cello is easily my favourite cello (similar note about dynamics, and vibrato is baked it).

When I need languorous, long smoothly evolving phrases, (that don't especially need to coordinate with surrounding performances) or very fast legato, the Bohemian cello is usually my favorite (although I'm very interested in the Chris Hein also).

Then the's this sonorous, lyrical sweet spot that the above demo hints at in the Spitfire Solo Strings cello. And while I barely know how to describe what exactly it is, or how exactly the musicianship of the performer is captured so convincingly in the design choices made in the sampling and scripting, or even what exactly it is the tree mic is doing (though what ever it is, it should keep doing it), it makes this my absolute all time favourite cello (for the type of lines I'm writing this week).

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Tilt & Flow likes this.
  18. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016

Can't wait for the legato. Kicking myself for not pick this up on the intro sale.

19. StillLife

StillLife Senior Member

Mar 18, 2017
    I really like the Spitfire celli (Artisan/alternative) and the one in the Solo Strings. But then I have very little to compare them to.

20. ism

ism Senior Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Spitfire artisan/Alternative cello is my favourite Vc Sul Tasto, bar none.