What's new

Best solo cello library?

eross2121

what are the best solo cello libraries out there. i just heard a sample of the
Best services emotional Cello and it sounded great. just curious what else is out there that is comparable in all price ranges.

It is a matter of taste - and it could be a matter of money...

One of my favourites
  • https://orchestraltools.com/soloists_series/libraries/nocturne_cello.php

Beat

I vote for Emotional Cello. I spent a long time searching for the perfect Cello library and to me it came down to Emotional Cello, Tina Guo Cello or Alternative Solo Strings. I settled on Emotional Cello because it sounded the best to me, the fact that it was on sale might have helped too :laugh:

I vote for Emotional Cello. I spent a long time searching for the perfect Cello library and to me it came down to Emotional Cello, Tina Guo Cello or Alternative Solo Strings. I settled on Emotional Cello because it sounded the best to me, the fact that it was on sale might have helped too :laugh:
so do you use it a lot?

so do you use it a lot?

I'm currently using it in a song, along with Emotional Violin which I got at a discount on account of owning the Cello. It's more versatile than I expected it to be however it is unmistakably 'emotional' (liberal use of vibrato).

I'm currently using it in a song, along with Emotional Violin which I got at a discount on account of owning the Cello. It's more versatile than I expected it to be however it is unmistakably 'emotional' (liberal use of vibrato).
ohh, thank for that heads up on the vibrato. i’ll have to keep that in mind.

Tina Guo is my Guo-to cello library heheh

I only have the legato version of it, but there is an expansion pack with additional articulations if you need them. Unless you need to write a very agile cello part, I find it's difficult to make it sound bad. Pretty good price too at $69.

https://cinesamples.com/product/tina-guo-acoustic-cello-legato

I agree 100% on that. The expansion adds more but my fave is the legato. It’s very controllable and well done.

I’ve always wanted the Erhu you hear in these great movies like Ip Man, etc.
Everyone I buy has that scratchy chalkboard annoying tone, even though the demos sound pretty good.

With her Cello it might be because of the way she plays it but I love the sound even though I don’t see doing Chamber or Symphonic, it’s a great lead/solo sound. Ip Man would be proud, so would Michele Yeoh in Sword of Destiny.

soo i’m looking for two articulation for solo cello. short staccato stabs, and legato articulations for melody writing. anything that fits this specifically. i have Albion One for ensembles, mainly i’m looking for solo instruments, specifically cello

I've gotten a lot of use out of the Embertone Blakus Cello, which is quite flexible and can be very realistic in my experience, though that flexibility does come with a need to be good at automation to make your performance. But I learned and so can you :emoji_slight_smile:

Chris Hein Solo Cello is pretty amazing. It has a lot of articulations and a large variety of short articulations. I do believe there are 3 or 4 Celli included. Well worth a look.

Depends on the use case, doesn't it?

For live playing, I really like the SWAM cello + EWI wind controller.

There's a bunch of parameters you can dial in - I've set it so MIDI expression drives the vibrato depth and bow position, so it's very responsive.

Most realistic? I don't care, it feels like playing a cello. :grin:

I think that Emotional Cello is pretty good, although I don't like the legatos.

Tina Guo Acoustic Cello Legato is amazing, I use this library a lot.

I hope Cinesamples will develop a deep sampled and detailed solo cello library with Tina Guo in the future.
She is a real miracle, Cinesamples would be able to create the best virtual cello with her. Something like the Emotional Cello, but with her unique passionate performance and stunning sound of Cinesamples.

ahh this looks nice thanks
I have the Guo Cellos, Cinestrings solo strings, Embertone Blakus, Cinematic Studio Strings, and also Emotional Cello and the OT one. Most cellos disappoint. I can say that out of all of these IMO only the OT Nocture cello is capable of approximating Guo's real playing (better than the out of tune Guo 1 library actually). The only downside is that it has only one velocity layer and the price.

My first choice for Solo Cello would be Emotional Cello, I also like the Audio Modeling Solo Cello, it sounds great especially if you use a breath controller to take advantage of all the realtime parameters you can control.

https://audiomodeling.com/solo-strings/swam-cello/

Every time i start a new composition, the first thought in my mind is.....how can i fit 'Emotional Cello' into this piece.

It is as close to a flawless virtual instrument as i have ever used.

Tina Guo Cello.
Absolute realistic sound.
Maybe Second edition sounds a bit cold and mechanic.

I prefer First edition for slow pieces.

Top Bottom