What's new

"Best" sampled Baldwin

goalie composer

Hello hive mind,

I'm looking for personal recommendations for a great sample library of a Baldwin grand piano. Suggestions?

Thx

Whole sounds 1954 Baldwin parlor grand. Very realistic sound and overall very good piano. You can try, they have full functional demo with no restrictions except some sound beep every 10(15?) seconds. No half pedal but overall playability is good and no quirks. At the moment you can have it for 45$ (summer discount)

Shredoverdrive

Whole sounds 1954 Baldwin parlor grand. Very realistic sound and overall very good piano. You can try, they have full functional demo with no restrictions except some sound beep every 10(15?) seconds. No half pedal but overall playability is good and no quirks. At the moment you can have it for 45$ (summer discount)
I second this. I love it. But try it before you buy, as suggested since the option exists.

bigcat1969

I think that is the only commercially available Baldwin so that should help with the choice. I've communicated with the chap that makes that piano and he's a great guy, as are all Baldwin piano lovers ;P. My City piano is a Baldwin, but it is $100 less good than the Whole Sounds Baldwin so you would be losing $55 just by bothering with it.

Mark Schmieder

I bought it but haven't used it on final production as it's so good that I usually end up liking something else better. :)

My point being, that it does a magnificent job of recreating the piano model that it advertises.

I've just never liked Baldwins much, but they have their own sound, and I find it useful during mock-up phases.

Once I see how it's playing with the other instruments, it helps me to dial in another piano sound to work in the mix.

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
I bought it but haven't used it on final production as it's so good that I usually end up liking something else better. :)

My point being, that it does a magnificent job of recreating the piano model that it advertises.

I've just never liked Baldwins much, but they have their own sound, and I find it useful during mock-up phases.

Once I see how it's playing with the other instruments, it helps me to dial in another piano sound to work in the mix.
Wasn't sure what you were saying after that contradictory first sentence, until I read the rest of your post. It's as Baldwin-a-piano sound you can get! I use it often, and it's a great piano for playing live in a duo setting (guitarist/vocalist & piano) - holds together well with a lot of presence and without getting boomy, and sounds very raw and natural.

DanMcKinney

Good to hear some discussion of the '54 grand again! And, yes, I am working on the next - another Baldwin, bigger, more low end resonance, and recorded on location in a chapel so there's been an effort to carry over the great resonance from the room into the virtual instrument.

Some of the chapel's ambiance will be printed onto the samples themselves (mostly on the the mid, mono, and VERY much so on the far mic perspectives), but there will also be multiple convolution reverbs included that are taken from the church itself. The impulses for the convolution were recorded at different parts of the church - in the middle of the pews, just inside the front entrance, around the corner in a hall, etc. (Almost did the confessional, but it wasn't quite up to snuff!) There will also be a room tone layer that can be dialed in for additional warm fuzzies.

So, the space itself has become almost as significant in defining the sound of the instrument as the piano.

Getting the una corda layers in order now. Attached is the GUI as it appears while I'm working on the thing this morning - it's more up-to-date than the one posted on the website.

Sorry to have progressed so slowly with this, but as fall approaches, I see the completion of the piano within sight! Then on to the Acrosonics...

Attachments

bigcat1969

Awesome news. Church Baldwins are finally getting their due with the loving care they deserve! All the best on that project and don't hurt your wrist editing all those samples! ;P

Top Bottom