What's new

Best reverb for BBCSO pro to sound a little cinematic when needed

I guess any reverb can handle your basic needs. I prefer VSR 24 and Seventh Heaven but you can make your samples sound bigger with your DAW's reverb as well. When you say cinematic I assume you mean big lush tail, which any reverb can create actually. The quality of a reverb is a second subject. And then you start looking for some better options, but try your DAW reverb first with Hall preset and just tweak size, predelay and lenght first. You'll see / hear it works just fine.

Which reverbs do you have? I concur with Patryk, any good quality reverb will get you there.

Here is a bit from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack that I mocked up with BBCSO:

That's just the standard Jake Jackson mix 1 with a bit of VSS3 on the master bus. Sounds cinematic to me and pretty close to the original soundwise in my opinion. It didn't take much reverb to achieve this sound. Just a touch on top of the mix 1. I think almost all good reverbs should get you there.

Does bbcso include close mics?
The Pro version does...you NEED the pro version if you truly want to sound cinematic...my opinion. You may also not need much reverb if you blend the array of mics available...also the close mic and the leader instruments add a sense of clarity that you may also require. The LOTR Shire is very detailed...it's full sounding, but detailed, and the basic mic really doesn't get there I don't think...close, yes...but no library is going to be dead on with a live orchestra anyway.

I recommend getting 7th heaven (standard)...it's about $79 and will get you there...it's probably going on sale soon for BF, so I'd wait it out if you can.

The Pro version does...you NEED the pro version if you truly want to sound cinematic...my opinion. You may also not need much reverb if you blend the array of mics available...also the close mic and the leader instruments add a sense of clarity that you may also require. The LOTR Shire is very detailed...it's full sounding, but detailed, and the basic mic really doesn't get there I don't think...close, yes...but no library is going to be dead on with a live orchestra anyway.

I recommend getting 7th heaven (standard)...it's about $79 and will get you there...it's probably going on sale soon for BF, so I'd wait it out if you can.
alright thx

I personally use two reverbs. I use Pro-R directly on the strings group (with Mix turned down) on the Vienna Hall setting, and then I run a bus to Blackhole for the extra tail. For spiccs I usually layer with something like Jaeger for the extra bite.

I personally use two reverbs. I use Pro-R directly on the strings group (with Mix turned down) on the Vienna Hall setting, and then I run a bus to Blackhole for the extra tail. For spiccs I usually layer with something like Jaeger for the extra bite.
Good tips. Thx man

I guess any reverb can handle your basic needs. I prefer VSR 24 and Seventh Heaven but you can make your samples sound bigger with your DAW's reverb as well. When you say cinematic I assume you mean big lush tail, which any reverb can create actually. The quality of a reverb is a second subject. And then you start looking for some better options, but try your DAW reverb first with Hall preset and just tweak size, predelay and lenght first. You'll see / hear it works just fine.
Thank you

After watching a couple of spitfire videos with jake Jackson and also using the bbcso template as a basis for my own template I went with 2 verbs. The the setup is each section has its own copy of the 2 verbs and then the section breaks down into group buses for longs, shorts, special etc each bus has 2 sends to the verbs.

my 2 verbs are seventh heaven and Valhalla room and were based on a combination of information in the videos and advice on here

It’s gives a more complete sound having both, one is for early reflections and the other is for late reflections

Top Bottom