Best Reverb for Air?

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by puremusic, Mar 15, 2019.

1. puremusic

puremusic Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    For those of you who mix with the Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, what reverb do you use to bring other instruments into its space well?

musicalweather likes this.
  2. Anders Wall

Anders Wall 55°28'54"N 13°30'44"E

Sep 26, 2013
    Sweden
    Here’s a great starting point.

Best of luck!
    /Anders

SchnookyPants and rottoy like this.
  3. paulwr

paulwr New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Spaces II is pretty fantastic. Find a hall you like that includes instrument placement and apply to all your orchestra sections. Then add overall a good hall sampled front and back and gently add that to everything, the orchestral way of 'gluing' everything together. This outperformed, for me and my libraries, following Allan Meyerson's instructions, though that sounds pretty good too.

4. Divico

Divico Senior Member

with front and back you mean a quad setup or do you use two types of IRs stereo?

5. Will Blackburn

Will Blackburn Active Member

Oct 28, 2012
    London
    Haven't watched that Alan Meyerson video. Can you elaborate? Does he use Spaces?

6. robgb

robgb I was young once

Apr 6, 2016
    I'm pretty sure any basic hall IR would do the trick with some equalization to help match the sound of Air. I would also think it wouldn't be too hard to create an Air IR using your Spitfire instrument and a sharp, percussive sound. I'm not sure if that would violate a EULA, however. While I appreciate the Air "sound," I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Another alternative is to Deverberate the Spitfire instrument to get it a bit drier and find a suitable alternative hall. I've experimented with the latter with varied results.

puremusic likes this.
  7. paulwr

paulwr New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    No, he does not use spaces or spaceII. Wealth of good info in the video though:

rudi and Will Blackburn like this.
  8. paulwr

paulwr New Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Not quad setup. I mean they have impulses taken from the back of the hall and the front of the hall in addition to many stage locations of instrument sections. In the making of Spaces II they also took care to fire impulses in the predominant direction the instruments do, such as the french horns area of the stage, they fired the impulses to the back. It is an impressive spacial tool and pretty light on the cpu at the same time... winning combination for me!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  9. Jeremy Gillam

Jeremy Gillam Active Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Los Angeles, California
    Right now with my Spitfire stuff I'm using Valhalla Vintage Verb on the default setting with some tweaks to the EQ parameters in the reverb (roll off some highs and lows), changing the decay based on length of the articulation, and changing the color mode to 1980s. It's probably more of a gravy reverb than a natural reverb but I like it :)

I always feel like I got good results with Valhalla Room too, both for a slight natural reverb extension (I think there's a setting called Large Hall I've used for that), and for more of a special feathering effect. I don't think Christian and Jake liked that one though :sad:

Edit: I do believe I've read that Alan Meyerson likes the Valhalla Room however

10. Greg

Greg Senior Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I personally love the TC Electronic VSS3 Large Warm Hall.