What's new

Best perc library for trailer music?

I don't have Cerberus but I can probably help with the discussion about Rhapsody, SAGA and Drum Fury as I have all of these...

Impact Soundworks - Rhapsody (currently discounted at APD to $50)
Of the three, this is the most 'traditional' sounding percussion library. If you want to use it for very heavy-hitting trailer percussion you'll need to add a little distortion / overdrive to the sounds. The range of percussion is comprehensive and it has 3 mic positions. One of the great things is that you don't have to hunt around for certain sounds as there are a small number of patches, each containing many instruments. Rolls and swells on the modwheel are a very useful feature. Some people have mentioned to me that the sound is a bit flat but as it's a traditional percussion library I would say that's just the character.

Sample Logic - Drum Fury (intro pricing at $99)
This library certainly has some big drum hits which sound very clean, and it also has some fun FX sounds too. The interface couldn't be simpler and it's great option for getting some huge hits out of the box. It has over 100 .nki files so you will maybe need to edit those down to your favourites for ease of use. The mapping is not as straightforward as the other two options here and separate mics have to be loaded as multiple patches. But with this one it's all about the sound.

Red Room Audio - SAGA ($149)
I would say that SAGA is the best of both worlds. The guy behind this company was involved with Impact Soundworks so he's basically taken all the functionality of Rhapsody and dialled it up to 11 with some epic samples. That means you get the rolls / swells / hit function, two mics, loads of velocities and round robins, extensive mapping options, auto ensemble and a full FX rack. I love the sounds in this one, especially the recorded ensembles. They're very suitable for trailers without being too overblown. It's a great all-rounder.

In summary, I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of these libraries (especially as some are heavily discounted right now), but they all do slightly different things.

Last edited:
I’m very curious about Cerberus and SAGA. Cerberus’s stacking option using RRs seems like a great idea.
I find cerberus too limited. It's a drum kit. It sounds great but i think it's more appropriate to the rock/metal kind trailer music. Saga is much more versatile, has a great room, and plenty great options and RR as well.

HACK ALERT!!!

I've just discovered an amazing hack where you can get BOTH Rhapsody and Drum Fury for $130 - a $20 saving over and above the current discounts. The process is a little bit long winded but bear with me.

Step 1 - Buy Rhapsody for $49.99 from HERE which will also earn you $25 in reward money.

Step 2 - Go to APD Shop HERE and redeem the max amount of the reward money ($20) on a $50 Sample Logic gift certificate. Pay the $30 remainder.

Step 3 - Purchase Drum Fury HERE using your $50 gift certificate. Pay the $49.99 remainder.

End Result : $49.99 (Rhapsody) + $30 (gift certificate) + $49.99 (Drum Fury) = $129.98 Total

Shoot me questions if you have any problems with the above process. As far as I know it should work.

I heard some great sounds from Lux | Nox, Perc + from VI Control. Now I'm trying to install the program and can not find the ....

the "Online Install Guide PDF".
I did a Google search and nothing came up.

Any suggestions here where to find the PDF ?

I went to a Dorico meeting a few years back and another composer mentioned the SpitFire sounds as well.
Dorico is a new music notation program - a few Sibelius programmers made it about 2 years ago under the Steinberg company.
www.Dorico.com

Have a great weekend; thank you for your help.
Mr. Kerry Kennard
www.KerryKennard.com

I heard some great sounds from Lux | Nox, Perc + from VI Control. Now I'm trying to install the program and can not find the ....

I went to a Dorico meeting a few years back and another composer mentioned the SpitFire sounds as well.
Dorico is a new music notation program - a few Sibelius programmers made it about 2 years ago under the Steinberg company.
www.Dorico.com

Mr. Kerry Kennard
www.KerryKennard.com
Mod Wheel revamped Perc+ a few years back. If you own the original they will sell you the upgrade for a simple donation:
Installing the original is easy (I have both), just unwrap the RAR and place the folder where you want it to live before batch resaving the library.

But here are the original docs with 1.0 (attached zip, 3 pdfs)

Attachments

• Perc+ 1.0 Docs.zip
    7.8 MB · Views: 9

www.Dorico.com

Mr. Kerry Kennard
www.KerryKennard.com
And here is the user guide from MW Perc+ Redux. Worth the donation IMHO.

Attachments

• PERCReduxuserguide.pdf
    619.5 KB · Views: 12
And here is the user guide from MW Perc+ Redux. Worth the donation IMHO.

Thank you Mr. Bassist - didn't catch your name.
You can catch me at FB as well.
www.KerryKennard.com
has all SM links.

Are you on LInkedIn at all ?
Always nice to hang there as well - lots of groups with like minded people in Music / Music Tech, Film Music, etc.

thank you again - maybe another night to install the software.

Mr. Kerry Kennard

Top Bottom