Best perc library for trailer music?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by hansandersen, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    If it doesn't matter which library the OP chooses, what is the point of asking, or answering the question?

If the answer is, "disguise it out of recognition," which I partly agree with, then it doesn't matter that much what you start with as long as the raw materials are strong, don't have too much of a sonic signature that is recognisable, and have a wide range of dynamics.

Personally, I don't find Damage has as much dynamic or sonic range as other offerings available today. If you want hits and intensity ready-made, it still has plenty to offer -- I'm not knocking it -- but if I only had one drum library and a willingness to tweak, Damage would not be my go-to choice.

Agents and music library folks have heard Damage-laden tracks now for a loooonngg time. Personally I think it's a good idea to try something else. My agent told me years ago not to use one of the libraries (not Damage; another library) I really liked, not because it sounds bad, but because it was overused.

I do like Damage and still sneak it in. As others noted, it has some punch that is handy and many layers in its rhythmic material that do allow one to carve it, but it has a far smaller role than it once did, eight years ago or whenever it came out.

2. Studio E

Studio E Eric Watkins

Much respect @JohnG but I was just going to comment the opposite (before I saw that you were pushing the other direction, haha). I recently started template building again, only this time with much better resources. As I was running through almost all the patches in Damage, I was shocked how much stuff is there and how much material there is . I personally think it's one of the best all-in-one percussion libraries out there. Just my 2 cents.

karelpsota, InLight-Tone and Mike Fox like this.
  3. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

100% second this! Otherwise you may find yourself requiring two or three HZ Perc Volumes to finally fulfill your needs. Heavyocity will do provide you with everything that you may ever need for the lowest price! Check out Damage too! Usually this one is enough in most cases:
    https://heavyocity.com/product/ms-ensembledrums/ for all of my trailer needs! ($60'ish on Black Friday if I recall? ;p)

4. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Here's a thread on whether DAMAGE is overused and recognizable... from five years ago. Take from that what you will!

The thing about it is, anyone who has a KOMPLETE has Damage at this point, and the loops totally have that Heavyocity fingerprint... but the standalone hit patches are sweet.

hansandersen likes this.
  5. Daniel James

Daniel James Senior Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I think it might just be because someone has a very specific question which might get buried in an older thread. This was a very direct question which generated almost 3 pages of good responses, where as you may have to trudge through 20 pages of comments to find the info you need. Thats not mentioning the fact that threads like this, (particularly when it comes to epic or trailer music) have a section of people who have no intention of answering the question at hand, but instead want to let you know they do no infact like epic / trailer music and you should feel bad for pursuing it.

Also keep in mind that the sample library industrry is pretty fast moving, so a thread about percussion a month a go might be outdated by now. So a new thread allows you to have the 'percussion discussion' with the context of the new options and sonic landscape available to you.

Anyways I hope the OP has enough clues to go on now. Happy hunting, and here is to a future fellow perc whore xD

-DJ

brek, ScoreFace, Sopranos and 2 others like this.
  6. Daniel James

Daniel James Senior Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Its a saturation problem. 5 Years ago there wasn't much in the way to layer with DAMAGE particularly well (there were some great options but the 'great' part may have been limited) the composers were using DAMAGE as the main focus of the percussion...sometimes just by itself. Now days not only have many moved onto other libraries entirely but there are also new amazing libraries to layer with it giving you even more options in tone and originality. Solving that 'overused' problem, as layering will give it whole new characteristics.

Look back like 10 years, when EVERY hybrid score was basically a Distorted Reality demo track. Its because those types of sound didn't exist in the way they do now. So that distorted reality sound became 'overused, cliche, cheesy' etc. However nowdays I can blend some of those old samples into my current work and people love it...because they havnt heard those sounds for years AND they are mixed into the new context of my current sample setup which is VASTLY different from the days when people were throwing around the 'cliche, overused' labels.

-DJ

7. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Evolution Taiko is good, but I can't recommend Stormdrums 2 and 3 enough. Those libraries cover so much ground and imo sound great. Grab them at the next EW sale, you won't regret it!

8. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    I see this a lot, and not just in regard to trailer music. Not cool, I agree.

9. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Those 2 Dragon hits patches in SD3 are crazy good!

Parsifal666 likes this.
  10. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    GREAT stuff! :) \m/

Mike Fox likes this.
  11. Rap-sody

Rap-sody Music... again and again

Aug 29, 2017
    Apocalypse Percussion is from Soundiron, not Impact Soundworks, and I highly recommend this library.

12. X-Bassist

X-Bassist Senior Member

Sep 26, 2015
    If I had to turn in all my Trailer percussion yet could keep only three, they would be (in order of importance):
    Strikeforce
    Hz Perc
    Cineperc

I could probably let go of the other 18 (8Dio, Auddict, Heavyocity, Soundiron, Audio Imperia, Evolution, Albions, Arks, etc) and not miss a beat for a few years.

And for heaven's sake, get Botdog Sample's Lali Drums. It makes every big hit seem 3dB louder! :)
    https://www.botdogsamples.com/lali-drums/
    Donate $5 or $10- well worth more!

Jonas Hallstrom likes this.
  13. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I get stupider as I get older. Right you are. Apologies to Soundiron.

Shout out to Impact Soundworks for Rhapsody Orchestral Percussion, which I also use and enjoy for more traditional perc.

14. Rap-sody

Rap-sody Music... again and again

Aug 29, 2017
    I agree. Rhapsody Orchestral Percussion is a great dry library (I agree about that, not about the stupider part about yourself)

15. kavinsky

kavinsky misty orchard in the middle of Czechoslovakia

Jul 4, 2012
    the sequences are actually midi loops.

16. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Both are true ;)

17. ScoreFace

ScoreFace Member

Nov 21, 2018
    I guess he meant that HE uses the single instruments and not the loops of the lib. This is what I really love about Action Strikes: it has loops, but even in the ensemble.nki, you can always get away from the loops and play with the single sounds instead.

Or you can play a loop and while you're holding a key that triggers the loop, you can play single notes to it which have exactly the same sound. I use that a lot and it sounds perfect to me:) On notes C, D, E, F, G, they have the loops and variations, on A and B they have singles, and there are low, mid and high seperated - pretty much freedom and a really clever concept:)

18. Phil Harmony

Phil Harmony New Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Another one for NI Action Strikes - I absolutely love this epic percussion sound, it is bombastic, but still very naturalistic and warm, I use it all the time! :)

I'm not a fan of Damage, but this is more a matter of personal taste.

19. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    Glad to see you mentioned 8Dio Epic ensembles...They are awesome, especially if you get into the sequencer and the filter options there...some truly unique effects can be had.

to OP...no one library will be enough, you need a variety to cover a few bases...All the ones mentioned are perfect examples...there is no one library really.

20. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    I think that with percussion, it's best to be creative and mix and match stuff. The possibilities with perc samples are almost endless, especially when you open up to additional processing (transient shapers, pitch, filters, EQ, compression, reverb) as well. There's just so much you can do combining and layering percussion samples and shaping them to your liking, if you're willing to put a little more creative effort in it beyond going "well, I got all the tonal stuff ready, time to dump some hits and booms on top of it".

jononotbono likes this.