1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best online courses for composing and orchestration?

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by Hanu_H, Dec 29, 2016.

1. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    How do you like the mockups? I was listening to some of the demos, and some of them are quite good, but some of them were lacking, e.g. strings intonations, I guess it's just how samples behave.

For studying composing and orchestration I would rather buy a score and listen to a well recorded and played version of the music. I think I'm much more from that than from listening to samples playing.
  2. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

Brilliant to know and When I can afford it I will likely buy the package of six.
  3. wcb123

wcb123 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Does anyone know if the Adler book or anything orchestration related was turned into an audio book ever? Love listening to stuff like that when im in bed or in the car etc.
  4. mikeh-375

mikeh-375 Senior Member

Feb 8, 2016
    The 2nd edition Adler came with set of 5 cds, but that was years ago, probably doesn't help you, why did I even post.........but maybe you can still get them somewhere.....
    wcb123 likes this.
  5. jonathanparham

jonathanparham Senior Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes I have the 3rd addition of these. I also have the workbook unused @wcb123 if interested.
    wcb123 likes this.
  6. Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo -

Jul 1, 2016

This looks really good.

Is there courseware that goes with it?

Or is it strictly reference material.
  7. milesito

milesito Senior Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Hi Massimo, I have been going through MITA for the past few years. It has been a great experience and it has dramatically expanded my writing abilities and perspective. I would be happy to chat more about it if you like but it is structured as online Skype lessons with materials and assignements. I have taken my fair share of music composition and theory courses throughout my life but this definitely has a lot of new info to supplement and challenge what I already know.
  8. Massimo

Massimo Senior Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Thanks a lot for your feedback about MITA, I have actually decided to enrolled and had my first lesson last week... Cheers, Max
    milesito likes this.
  9. marco berco

marco berco Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Paris France
    I am not a young man now and after having studied traditional Harmony, Fugue and Counterpoint at the conservatory in France when a young man, then studying modern writing at Berklee College of Music between 1979-1981 and at last studying EIS with David Blumberg for 3 years before he passed away, I am now studying the M.I.TA. course. since this last summer.

What I can say, it is by far the best course I have ever taken in my whole life. This, I don't say the other courses and methods were not good, they all were very good and I have done my professional career thanks to them but, none of them gave me as much pleasure than M.I.TA. and also I discovered tons of musical devices I was not aware of before.

What is great is it doesn't replace what you have done or learnt before, but it adds to your knowledge and skills. I am about the middle of the way at Lesson 25 and I have made a really big jump in my writing, even if I write compositions-orchestrations-arrangements for decades, this proves there is always something to learn to improve your skills until your death.

This course is a must, especially for one who want to master the film scoring, TV shows, Video Games writing. It needs also to put a lot of work in it as there is no secret apart the efforts you have to do in order to be successful in your tasks. Here, there is no button to push for getting a big sound, only a lot of writing.

Generally, the assignments are divided in two parts, one is for the technical part of the Lesson and the second part is devolved to orchestrate a piece mainly with the devices studied in the concerned lesson.

With no doubts, M.I.TA. is a choice one should consider if he wants to master the film scoring and Video Games writing.
    Massimo likes this.
  10. Robin Wade

Robin Wade New Member

Feb 16, 2016
    I’ve been studying M.I.T.A. since 2016 and completely agree with Miles Ito and Marco Berco about the effectiveness of this approach. The initial attraction of M.I.T.A. to me was that it promised to end writer’s block. It’s already done this and opened my mind to so many useful compositional ideas! Highly recommended!

Welcome Massimo by the way :)
  11. Massimo

Massimo Senior Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Thanks Robin and all the very best for your musical journey ;)