What's new

Best Modern SFX /Sound design Library that goes beyond just being useful for trailers etc

Paul Jelfs

Firstly, If this has been covered recently - I apologise, but could not find anything (Maybe because how I spell sound efx!)

I am looking for a sound efx / sound design library, that covers your usual hits and whooshes, subs and rises but also goes beyond trailers etc and can be used in very many different genres (if possible)

Its an area I have don't have many libraries in - the ones included in Komplete 11 (Rise and Hit, Evolve etc) as well as one by KEEPFOREST - EVOLUTION ATLANTICA - which is Excellent, but I am finding I am using the patches so often that I need more variety.

I love some of the Sound Efx in the Excellent Into the Spider verse by Daniel Pemberton, and had a look at BOOM sound EFX, especially

BOOM -Modern Neon Sci-fi I have heard nothing but praise for BOOM - I guess you get a bunch of samples that you just drop in ?

However being greedy I would love an all round sound efx /design Vst (In Kontakt or Plugin form) that could be used on things beyond trailers and epic sound tracks !

I guess I am looking for another Evolution Atlantica type library that covers a lot of ground, and can serve as ear candy or inspiration for new ideas!

I am all ears and thank you in advance!

PJ

jcrosby

I find UVI Meteor to be really versatile. It'll do the trailer thing easily, but easily crosses over into EDM or any other genre heavy on SFX as well... Although it looks like rise and hit on the surface it's way more versatile. I've used it to make braams, downers, pings and whoohes, to EDM risers, trailer risers, horror fx... Even just layer stuff together to make all kinds of unique one shot samples...

It's my favorite tool for quickly cooking up my own SFX, very straight forward to use with just the right amount of parameters to completely flip things into something completely different without getting lost in an overwhelming amount of controls.

I wish you could import your own content into it but you can't have everything...

Last edited:
OP
P

Paul Jelfs

Ohh never heard of that one though I do have some UVI libraries .

will also check out glitchmachines too.

does the zero-g Etherva range do the same sort of thing or is that more vocals and synth loops ?

jcrosby

Guessing you've already watched this but in case not the overview's very straight forward. Unlike some Kontakt libraries that oversell but underdeliver I've personally found Meteor's overview to be a very nuts and bolts summary of how to use it to design your own content...

Another you might look at if you don't have already would be Gravity... That said while I do love it it feels much more 'tied' to the sample content... Basically things are more or less pre-sound designed, whereas meteor is about having access to basic sounds with an engine that's lets you design them how you want to... Gravity's also quite pricy comparatively...

I don't have Ethera. I've watched a few things here and there and my impression is it's voice-based but may very well be wrong...

Last edited:

GMT

A second vote for Gravity. Once you dig under the hood and get used to the engine, it is endlessly tweakable. I use it in all sorts of music.

shponglefan

Collector of sample libraries
does the zero-g Etherva range do the same sort of thing or is that more vocals and synth loops ?

While the Ethera libraries do include other sound effects, instruments, etc., the main selling point is the vocals. I personally wouldn't buy those libraries if one is primarily after sound design.

Have you considered going the S&S route (e.g. sampling & synthesis)?

If your goal is versatile sound design, I'd look at instruments like Omnisphere, Pigments, and the like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom