What's new

Best modern scoring drums?

Phil Harmony

Hi everybody,

I have long been a silent reader of this great forum. Now I have logged in, because I hope for tips on scoring drum libraries running in Kontakt. What do you use as drum sounds to sound modern but still blend well with orchestral music?

Thanks for your advice!

Hi Phil, is it an orchestral Drum kit you are after? If so I could recommend CinePerc's Drum kit, sounds huge and I generally go to this if I'm using a kit with an orchestra!

Thanks Joe - well, it is mainly Drum Kit I need, but I would love to have some "modern cinematic" sounds in it as well, maybe even loop elements? I have Damage, but this is too far on the tech side for me - the sounds and loops in there feel a little too TV Action to me.

Sometimes in modern film scoring, I hear orchestral score with drum set sounds plus a few modern percussive sounds that make the over-all impression modern. Imagine a cinematic soundtrack for a high tech thriller, it uses percussion, drum set and a little "extra", like fresh and "trendy" cinematic sounds, if you know what I mean. :)

Cerberus has a nice kit and sounds imo in general really great, but I unterstand that’s not really the sound you are after?!

I don't think this is completely off-topic, how useful do people find the NI Komplete drumkits for scoring?

Hey Phil, speaking of drum set, I would also recommend the drum kit in CinePerc, it really sounds cool and blends well with orchestra.

I don't really know any Hollywood-style libs with both modern drum set AND flexible cinematic loops, would be interesting for me, too.

If you are looking for cinematic percussion loops with a modern touch, I would try Action Strikes from NI. They have single instruments and an ensemble nki with tons of loops, very versatile. You can design your own percussion ensemble in both historic or modern thriller style and it simply sounds fantastic! The downside is that they only have a few drum set sounds, not a full set.

I dont know if its exactly what you are looking for but I actually looking for something in the greyzone of ambient (where one general opinion is NO drums at all)/cinematic/epic and have done lot of searching to find something in this field especially in case of "sounds" (for the rhythm I mostly go with jamstix even if it dont have any real drummer for this cases but mostly I find a drummer/style mix that can produce something I like).

Not really satisfied yet but my last tries with the epic soundlab stuff were not so bad, with a mix of the drums included in The Forge and Maliki and some additional percussion (the soundiron stuff for example) it goes in the direction I imagined.

To be honest: in the actual song I am working on (some ambient voice/holy orientated song) I just kicked out the whole drums last night cause it just sound better without it but will go on experimenting in this direction so happy for any new ideas :)

Thanks guys, I think I'll check out Audio Imperia Sinfonia Drums first.

Action Strikes looks very nice with their flexible and cinematic loops and singles - seems to be percussion only and no drum set, but in the videos, it sounds totally epic:).

Top Bottom