What's new

Best mixes you've heard

Not orchestral, but the song "Reckoner" by Radiohead is probably one of the best mixes I've ever heard. Everything has its own space but it's all glued together masterfully. The mix was done by Nigel Godrich who was the producer for "In Rainbows".

Thank you, I have to very much agree, this is great

Not orchestral, but the song "Reckoner" by Radiohead is probably one of the best mixes I've ever heard. Everything has its own space but it's all glued together masterfully. The mix was done by Nigel Godrich who was the producer for "In Rainbows".

This is indeed a gorgeous example of a great mix. I think I may have mentioned this one before, but one of my favourite mixes in the pop domain is Blue Nile’s album A Walk Across The Rooftops. Especially the title track:

I rarely listen to orchestral music - not a lot to contribute here.

But as far as rock goes, this is an incredible production.

It's very dynamic and yet powerful and transparent - extremely unusual, going by contemporary standards.

And: the drums sound like actual goddamn drums! You simply don't hear drums any more. You hear a bunch of bullshit, but not drums. It's a lost art. This here sounds absolutely fantastic. Having a drummer of that caliber of course helps matters as well.

I like what has been posted by others above.

Lately nothing orchestral has blown me away.

However this small ensemble showed up on my radar. Even on my cheap-ass pc speakers it sounds great. An impressive mixing job.

I am led to believe that a large % of the listening audience is likely hearing your product on a mono system so this factor plays heavily on a mix engineer's mind.

Audio Engineer listed as Leon Michaels.

Last edited:
In the orchestral world, many (if not most) of James Newton Howard's scores are just sublime. And of course many of Zimmer's classics - I still think Gladiator is one of the best recorded & mixed scores of all time. I'm very fortunate to have a pair of large PMC mastering monitors - put on "The Might of Rome" and prepare for assault on your chest cavity. Freaking insane.

In the synth/electronic world, BT's new record "The Lost Art Of Longing" is a master work - so inspiring on every level.

Anything on Bob Katz's Honor Roll is pretty stellar:

::edit::

A few videos of things on that list, from softest to loudest ^ (though I do recommend reading Katz's thoughts on each)

Last edited:
I keep listening to HZ's Sherlock Holmes score and can't keep help but thinking...damn, it's really well mixed! Fucking Alan Meyerson

Top Bottom