Best mid-range 88-key controller for orchestral instrumentation

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by dsblais, Jun 8, 2018.

1. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    Didn't try any of those, honestly, so I'm the wrong person to ask. However none of those you listed offer you pitch/mod wheel and some knobs/sliders, which is a pretty nice thing to have.

Levitanus and dsblais like this.
  2. Levitanus

Levitanus Senior Member

nobody argue with that)

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon KSP Wizard

May 25, 2010
    Croatia
    You sounded a bit like you did argue about that. ;)

4. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    Interestingly, the M-Audio Hammer 88 gets a good review in the most recent issue of Electronic Musician (Keyboard magazine): http://www.m-audio.com/hammer88

5. Geoff Grace

Geoff Grace Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    AllanH likes this.
  6. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I don't know whether they're more accurate with dynamics - although to be honest I'm skeptical of that - but the overriding factor is the feel. There are both good and bad weighted and unweighted keyboards.

I personally use a weighted one for everything, because I find it easier to control. It's a Kurzweil K2500X, with a Fatar action that's pretty good.

Meanwhile I have two project controllers. One is a Kurzweil K250 I brought out of retirement. It needs new caps in its power supply, and its wooden weighted keyboard is outstanding.

And a friend just gave me a Kawai M8000, a weighted controller from the early days of MIDI, because he's moving out of town and has horrible arthritis that prevents him from playing. It has some bad keys, but he tells me it just needs a thorough cleaning. Will see...