Best Mic for a soft vocalist?

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by fustrun, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's the mic everyone uses for spoken voice, and some people use it for vocals. I haven't used one, but my sense is that it's more of a safe choice and very forgiving mic than an ideal one for a folksy voice. It's a dynamic mic, and if I had my druthers I probably wouldn't use one for this kind of intimate, detailed voice.

Again, I haven't actually used an SM7b, so maybe my impression (based on hearing it a lot in comparisons and asking a bunch of audio snobs on rec.audio.pro :) ) is off. I did research that mic, though, because I was hoping to land a gig that might have wanted it.

That's an interesting idea - a simulator. C12s are very expensive, and they either sound great on something or not that good.

2. paularthur

paularthur Jedi in training...

Oct 4, 2017

3. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    ^ I agree with everything in that post.

4. OP
    OP
    fustrun

fustrun Active Member

Apr 3, 2013
    SM7b is on the list however i am totally aiming for a ribbon or condenser mics.

5. GtrString

GtrString Active Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Denmark
    start with the u47's, then the u87's. Everything after that will be completely chance

6. Hasici

Hasici New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    How about the sleeper rode NT-1 (not the NT-1A). Colorless and response is flat like a pancake. You can literally dial any sound as the mic is nearly transparent.

7. storyteller

storyteller Senior Member

Dec 26, 2015
    For breathy/tubey, I think the Avantone CV12 is great in that price range. It was used on Taylor Swifts first two albums (and maybe others afterwards). Probably not best suited for the Adele-like voice though.

EDIT: Just thinking about it, I'd also say the Rode K2 is another exceptional mic/value for this purpose in your price range. I had one years ago and loved every single recording from it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019