1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best limiters/'louderners'

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by Eptesicus, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Rapollo

Rapollo Active Member

Sep 1, 2017
    United Kingdom
    +1 for Pro-L

I also use PSP Xenon and generally alternate between them depending on material, wonderful all-round limiters. I own Ozone 7 but just rarely seem to use it over the other two.

2. Gerhard Westphalen

Gerhard Westphalen Scoring Mixer

I just installed the new Eventide and it seems killer. A quick head-to-head with the Pro-L and it seems like it can be cleaner than the Pro-L.

3. Robert Jason

Robert Jason Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Fab Filter is a good value for what you get, and visually is amazing...if you want it to be. Sonically, as pristine as you'd ever want..though it can be pumped up.
    Slate Everything Bundle has numerous impressive sonic tools.

4. Tod

Tod Old Fart

Yeah, it's unlike any limiter I've ever had. It's been a bit complicated but once it's dialed in it's pretty amazing.

5. Cruciform

Cruciform Senior Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Another vote for the new Eventide Elevate bundle, especially the limiter. These are incredible tools, really deep in what they can do but fairly straightforward to use. Recently mastered a full metal album with these plugs. The team who worked on the album put it up against a test master from a well known studio using analog gear and it compared well, so well we decided to finish it in-house.

Up until now I've been using the Flux tools such as Elixir and Alchemist, and also Ozone 7.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  6. Serg Halen

Serg Halen Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Ukraine
    Fab filter Pro-L nice one, but with A.O.M. Invisible Limiter you can get more loudness without "pumping" and distortion.

7. T-Funk

T-Funk Member

Nov 18, 2017
    My go-to master bus limiters are listed below:
    • PSP Audioware Xenon
    • IK Multimedia T-RackS Stealth
    • iZotope Ozone 7 Advanced (Maximizer & Vintage Limiter)
    • Wave Arts FinalPlug 5
    • Voxengo Elephant 4.5
    Although I overall prefer Xenon, I tend use Stealth most often since I purchased it upon release.

8. dannymc

dannymc Senior Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Dublin
    mine too. love its clean sound.

Danny

9. conan

conan Senior Member

Nov 22, 2017
    I typically use Pro-L, as well. No coloration and it works well.

10. Rapollo

Rapollo Active Member

Sep 1, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Welp. Fabfilter have just announced their update to Pro-L 2. As my favourite limiter overall. HYPE! I love how they come out of nowhere with just enough time to get excited about it/allocate funds :P

8x oversampling. True peak, more/even better metering options and analysis. 3 (or 4?) new limiting algorithms. Just not so long ago I was thinking Pro-L was probably the only plugin they could really improve since it’s a few years old now.

Gerhard Westphalen and Quodlibet like this.
  11. Quodlibet

Quodlibet Leonard Richter

Feb 5, 2016
    Nice!

First impression of FabFilter Pro-L 2:

dannymc and Gerhard Westphalen like this.
  12. ceemusic

ceemusic Senior Member

Dec 14, 2008
    New York area
    Here's an overview of FabFilter Pro-L 2-

13. Noam Guterman

Noam Guterman Senior Member

Another FabFilter Pro-L enthusiast here! Excited for v2

dannymc likes this.
  14. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Highly recommend using Sonnox Limiter and Inflator. There is a reason it's still the choice at Abbey Road for Mastering. If you happen to use UAD the sale prices are very good right now.

FF L1 has always seemed hard to find the sweet spot for me when I tried it, hopefully V2 will fix that.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    sazema, tmhuud and fixxer49 like this.
  15. fixxer49

fixxer49 Bouncing Consultant

Jan 13, 2013
    New York, NY
    +1 for Sonnox. (Inflator can be very handy in certain situations. But handle with care.)

synthpunk likes this.
  16. germancomponist

germancomponist Senior Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Germany
    There are so many good plugs on the market now. I use the Sonnox and Waves plugs mostly.