What's new

Best Kontakt library for 80's synthwave sounds?

DivingInSpace

:rofl:

Damn, I might be new around these parts but do members here really fall for this shit as often as it seems around here?!
People here usually use their ears and form their opinions from that. Have you tried the library? Because chances are that it might actually be that good.

*Edit*

Listening to the review it actually does sound really good, but this definitely seems like a marketing stunt lol.

Last edited:

reutunes

I had to laugh at one of the posts above that pointed out the chain of events between VST Buzz saying "Have a free copy" and the recipient claiming "It's brilliant". However, I'm not going to start another discussion about NFRs for reviewers and potential bias - as that has been done to death on VI Control.

What I will say is that I think @Mike Fox has done a good job with the video and there are ample audio examples there for people to make up their own mind.

I helped to test Power Move, wrote a demo track, created the official video and also programmed the Multis. This kind of library is right up my street as I'm a big fan of synthwave music and I have to say that I had such a fun time working on the product. I urge anyone who's even semi interested to log in to their VST Buzz account and check to see how much Power Move is with their reward points. A couple of composers I know had enough points to pick it up for free!

poetd

For some amazing 80s synth sounds the free vst SQ8L is as authentic as it gets.

As fiddly and difficult as the original it's based on, but it can load original patches for the SQ80 (loads on the web)

32bit only, so you'll need a bridger for 64bit, but well worth the entry price.
http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/index.html#sq8l

OP
Mike Fox

Mike Fox

@ionian @DivingInSpace

With the way the chain of events occurred (and with my genuine, yet over-enthusiasm for this library) I can see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't read too deep into it.

It's really nothing more than VST Buzz giving me a free copy of the library, and then me overly geeking out about it.

Besides, if this was a marketing stunt, don't you think this would be all a bit too obvious? ;)

I'm just glad to see that others have come forth to share similar excitement for the library.

Last edited:

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Not to take away steam from Power Move as it does seem like a nice library but there are quite a few Kontakt libraries that have been focusing on these sounds for a long time as well as usable interfaces to manipulate them to the extent that these samples can be manipulated. All of them have done so at some pretty affordable prices too.

Some that come to mind are:

https://www.cl-projects-sound-design.com/
http://www.hollowsun.com/
and
http://www.kontaktbanks.com/

Having said that I personally prefer soft synths a little more for anything synth related as they are more tweak-able and of course you can create something from scratch if you dig in and learn.
Stuff from UHE have always been famous for that "analogue" sound and I've recently been really impressed by the sounds coming out of Ultra Analog VA-2 by AAS. ******* I'm thinking the upgrade to the full version for $49 is a better investment for me than another Kontakt synth library.

On the other hand, a genre focused kontakt instrument can certainly be a great way to assist in a fast workflow for projects calling for that type of sound, so there is definitely merit in that and I have gotten use out of my Pink Studio stuff from Kontaktbanks.
Lotsa luv here for hollowsun libs. THX for these other two !! Can't believe my unawareness. Will be picking up some libs from each to audition.
If you have definite favs from kontaktbanks and CL-Projects …. some tips appreciated ! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bansaw

Sound Design
+1 for VPS Avenger. The ability of Avenger to combine analog samples (and there are many within its factory library too) with other OSCs in one preset has the potential to make the sound really thick. If you're going for Synthwave you need a beefy sound. With most synths to rival Avenger's big sound you have to put down more than one track.

Last edited:

pderbidge

Lotsa luv here for hollowsun libs. THX for these other two !! Can't believe my unawareness. Will be picking up several to audition.
If you have definite favs from kontaktbanks and CL-Projects …. some tips appreciated ! :thumbsup:
Glad I can help:) Kontaktbanks (Pinknoise) has a few 50% off sales throughout the year so I would wait for one of those unless your desperately in need of something along those types of sounds. Also Hollow-sound puts a lot more into their interface and tweak-ability whereas pink-noise is more about having those sounds with basic tweaks, however they are on version 2 of their libraries and it looks like from the screenshots that they have completely revised their interface to have more of that synth like tweakability so they might be on par now in that area.
Virology is their most popular since it takes samples from the popular Virus synthesizers. I actually don't own that one cause I felt I had a lot of Virus sounds already but this video will give you an idea of those sounds: Keep in mind the video is showcasing the first gen of this Instrument. Virology 2 looks completely redesigned.

CL Projects also has a Virus type library called Virologic. I actually haven't picked any of their stuff up yet but have been eyeing them for some time but as I said I got side tracked onto softsynths like Monarch, Ultra-Analog 2, Hybrid 3 and Synthmaster one (the last two not being known for their analog synth sounds but still cool and fun to work with nevertheless.

For more musical sounding from Pinknoise I would look at Lemon, Orange, Virology and perhaps Analog Night or Analogue Mosters. I have Lemon. I also have Revolver and Deepflight which seem to fit more of the experimental side of sounds.

Edit: Pink noise has a free download patch for each of their libraries so you can get a taste of how they sound and work.

Last edited:

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
Glad I can help:) Kontaktbanks (Pinknoise) has a few 50% off sales throughout the year so I would wait for one of those unless your desperately in need of something along those types of sounds. Also Hollow-sound puts a lot more into their interface and tweak-ability whereas pink-noise is more about having those sounds with basic tweaks, however they are on version 2 of their libraries and it looks like from the screenshots that they have completely revised their interface to have more of that synth like tweakability so they might be on par now in that area.
Virology is their most popular since it takes samples from the popular Virus synthesizers. I actually don't own that one cause I felt I had a lot of Virus sounds already but this video will give you an idea of those sounds: Keep in mind the video is showcasing the first gen of this Instrument. Virology 2 looks completely redesigned.

CL Projects also has a Virus type library called Virologic. I actually haven't picked any of their stuff up yet but have been eyeing them for some time but as I said I got side tracked onto softsynths like Monarch, Ultra-Analog 2, Hybrid 3 and Synthmaster one (the last two not being known for their analog synth sounds but still cool and fun to work with nevertheless.

For more musical sounding from Pinknoise I would look at Lemon, Orange, Virology and perhaps Analog Night or Analogue Mosters. I have Lemon. I also have Revolver and Deepflight which seem to fit more of the experimental side of sounds.

Edit: Pink noise has a free download patch for each of their libraries so you can get a taste of how they sound and work.
Super cool Reply !! :thumbsup: I too have Synthmaster (both), Hybrid3, K11U (Monarch, +), Ultra-Analog 2 Sessions; although Omni2.5 is mainstream workhorse. Lotsa Virus content there.

Will be checking out the PinkNoise demos to learn a bit more.

Thanks and regards

Last edited:

JonSolo

Not Han's Brother
CL Projects is great and there are great deals to be had on it from time to time. From the Blue Orb series to the Viralogic, it is amazing.

I am also a fan of Hideaway Studios. I think I have everything they have done. Rich and analog!

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
CL Projects is great and there are great deals to be had on it from time to time. From the Blue Orb series to the Viralogic, it is amazing.

I am also a fan of Hideaway Studios. I think I have everything they have done. Rich and analog!
THX for tips on CL Projects. Will checkout Hideaway Studios next. :thumbsup:

ProfoundSilence

my hot take on vst buzz's library?

if you have a bunch of points hanging out - use them. Do these libraries have strengths and weaknesses? yes. Is this a one stop shop for everything you could possibly want? Depends on how invested you are in that sound.

in my case, I spent a steak dinner for a bunch of sounds I don't have - incase I feel like messing around with a genre I never write in. If you were absolutely serious about this stuff, you'd buy actual synths or modelled versions of these synths.

OP
Mike Fox

Mike Fox

my hot take on vst buzz's library?

if you have a bunch of points hanging out - use them. Do these libraries have strengths and weaknesses? yes. Is this a one stop shop for everything you could possibly want? Depends on how invested you are in that sound.

in my case, I spent a steak dinner for a bunch of sounds I don't have - incase I feel like messing around with a genre I never write in. If you were absolutely serious about this stuff, you'd buy actual synths or modelled versions of these synths.
Well said.

Curious though, what would you consider to be Power Move's strengths/weaknesses?

I personally couldn't find any weaknesses. My only nitpick is that I would like to have seen a bit more percussion fx.

Last edited:

ProfoundSilence

haven't toyed enough with it to know, and im not familiar enough with how it's supposed to sound to really have an opinion.

to me, it's pre-made synth patches that sound slightly more analogue. If I ever get the itch to make something electronic or hybrid, I'll probably poke around for sounds until I get something I like. Was just stating the obvious - that if someone was THAT picky about the authenticity of these sounds, they'd want to know how the actual synths operated, and find software modelled versions and make these sounds manually.

these are all things a typical listener would never in a million years notice when listening though.

whiskers

Perpetual student
re: Power Move - I'm having a hard time justifying this one to myself, having Omnisphere, Ethera, The Komplete synths, TAL-U-NO-LX, etc. More of a fan of the darker stuff anyway, less so of the nostalgic lighter pad sounds.

Think:
So I will probably be passing. Great review though, @Mike Fox!

nas

I recently picked up Synapse Audio's The Legend soft synth with the Modern Analog Expansion pack and I'm really impressed with the quality of the sounds. The Legend is probably the best software emulation of the classic Moog Modern D that I've heard and the Modern Analog expansion pack has some amazing patches that will get you into 80's analog synth territory, reminiscent of the Stranger Things soundtrack and some Vangelis Blade Runner tones.

Another often overlooked but great soft synth if you're in Logic is the ES2, which is packed full of wavetables and is incredibly versatile with some powerful routing options. If you can get your head around the U.I. it will deliver some of what you're looking for.

Top Bottom