What's new

Best headphones for writing/mixing?

The best is probably the one you know and got used to. For me, it's the ATH-50.

That´s a really good answer :) Whatever headphone you use: First get used to it by listening a lot of music you know (I mean... music where you really know what it sounds like). :)

I am on the Audio Technica ATH-M50x and I love it. :)

Because I am a total headphone slut, I just got the Ollo S4 too — and they are incredible. Similar frequency balance to my HD6XX but to my ears more height and width. And it's so nice to have something lovingly made from wood and steel.

Was using the AKG712 Pro but found them a little harsh on the top end. Now I am quite happy with Sennheisser HD650. If I really need to block out external sounds, I use Sennheiser HD280 Pro, as they are closed back, seal tightly and keep out much more noise.
You just did it again! My next purchase is open back HPs, and I was nearly sold on the HD650 (Guy Michelmore swears by them) but there's the AKG712 King-Of-The-Hill reputation so I wondered about that. So I searched HD650 and here's your reply. Harshness is the last thing I want, so it's 650's all the way. SO, you gave me the info to know how to set up my VI composing studio earlier, and verified which cans to get, all in 30 mins, lol. I owe you one, somewhere, somehow!

You just did it again! My next purchase is open back HPs, and I was nearly sold on the HD650 (Guy Michelmore swears by them) but there's the AKG712 King-Of-The-Hill reputation so I wondered about that. So I searched HD650 and here's your reply. Harshness is the last thing I want, so it's 650's all the way. SO, you gave me the info to know how to set up my VI composing studio earlier, and verified which cans to get, all in 30 mins, lol. I owe you one, somewhere, somehow!

Glad to help... I also do plumbing, calculus tutoring and marriage counseling!

Glad to help... I also do plumbing, calculus tutoring and marriage counseling!
Been on the 650s for a couple months now...

WHAT ON EARTH TOOK ME SO LONG

Paired with my new(ish) RME BabyFace Pro... Sonic Bliss. :thumbsup:

I picked up an HD 650 (HD 6XX to be precise) today, and I see what you mean about the "sparkle" of the DT 880 by comparison. That's the main difference I'm noticing between the these two so far.
I know headphone burn-in is considered a myth by some, but in my experience the Beyers do soften with use.

My DT990 were unusable without some EQ because of a massive spike around 10khz. The sibilance was really painful with bright material. A year after using them almost daily I don't need to EQ anymore.

I don't own the HD650, but I do own the HD600 and they are notably dark headphones.

I know headphone burn-in is considered a myth by some, but in my experience the Beyers do soften with use.

My DT990 were unusable without some EQ because of a massive spike around 10khz. The sibilance was really painful with bright material. A year after using them almost daily I don't need to EQ anymore.

I don't own the HD650, but I do own the HD600 and they are notably dark headphones.
I bought the HD600 a couple years ago and what a difference for me. My other headphones are hurting my ears. But the DARK of the HD600 is also something I worry about. How do you deal with it? Do you compensate with software?

I bought the HD600 a couple years ago and what a difference for me. My other headphones are hurting my ears. But the DARK of the HD600 is also something I worry about. How do you deal with it? Do you compensate with software?
To be honest, I don't use the HD600 anymore. My wife loves them though :)

I've seen mastering engineers using them as is, but I really feel I'm missing detail on the high end. I find reverb tails to be more obvious on other headphones.

You could use an EQ in your master bus, or an OS-wide EQ. I use an EQ to enhance the low end of my HD280 Pro which is a bit lacking.

On macOS I love Soundsource. It comes with an EQ but you can use any AU plugin instead. I use FF Pro-Q.

On Windows, I used Equalizer APO for some time. It's not very intuitive to use... and it has broken on me a couple of times so I don't use it anymore. I now rely on adding EQ on the master bus.

I have to spend more time with them. But, subjectively, the sound of the HD650 feels more "cohesive". As if nothing is sticking out more than it should. By comparison, the DT880, subjectively, feels like high end detail is more prominent and thus pushed forward into more of a "close up shot" or more like it's under a "spotlight" on the listening stage, if those mixed metaphors make any sense.

Now, which one is more "correct", I do not know.
I think what you're describing is the soundstage.

The HD650 are open headphones and the DT880 are semi-open. Open headphones have a bigger more open soundstage than closed or semi-open ones.

Also, regardless of the soundstage, of course the brighter DT880 will have more crisp high end detail vs the darker HD650. In general, Sennheiser headphones are considered to have something called the "Sennheiser veil" for their darker sound. I say "in general" because the new HD280 Pro do not have it. The high end is super detailed.

As for which one is correct... Andrew Scheps uses the Sony MDR7506 with no EQ and no correction anything. And he has won a couple of grammys.

if i'm used to mixing on headphones that have a bit of hype
at 100hz, 4 khz, and 12 khz, that would mean if i used these imaginary "Flat headphones" (which of course dont' exist but i'll play along) then i would
have to re=learn what i'm hearing to compensate for the loss of those frequencies.

Hmm, that means if i'm used to these imaginary "Flat headphones" and i then move over
to headphones with a different response, i would then have to re=learn again a new curve.

Don't people realize that there's no difference in the end result, once you learn the curve
of what ever you're using? Not to mention, you can put an EQ on your master buss and
correct any peaks or dips you want. Is'nt it amazing how much money a company like Sonarworks
can make off of people that just didnt really think things all the way through?

The HD650 are open headphones and the DT880 are semi-open. Open headphones have a bigger more open soundstage than closed or semi-open ones.
Generally true, although there are exceptions. The HD-650 and 600 don't have a very wide soundstage and personally I find them more natural because of this.

Take the HD-800S, HUGE soundstage, so wide I find it slightly off putting. But very nice for making stereo imaging adjustments and for detail retrieval.

Hifiman Devas. Super comfortable, albeit super dorky looking. Not super heavy on bass (more snap than boom), but great soundstage and great sound for the price point.

I'd personally skip the bluetooth version and buy something like a fiio btr5 in hindsight if you need bluetooth; if you drop the MKII version of the detachable receiver even a few inches it'll stop outputting sound and you'll you have to pry it open to plug the jumpering board back in. They might have fixed this in the new Deva Pros, but I honestly have no idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom