Best headphones for writing/mixing?

NODZ

The best is probably the one you know and got used to. For me, it's the ATH-50.
That´s a really good answer :) Whatever headphone you use: First get used to it by listening a lot of music you know (I mean... music where you really know what it sounds like). :)

I am on the Audio Technica ATH-M50x and I love it. :)

SupremeFist

Because I am a total headphone slut, I just got the Ollo S4 too — and they are incredible. Similar frequency balance to my HD6XX but to my ears more height and width. And it's so nice to have something lovingly made from wood and steel.

PaulieDC

1967 Bizzarini GT 5300 Strada
Was using the AKG712 Pro but found them a little harsh on the top end. Now I am quite happy with Sennheisser HD650. If I really need to block out external sounds, I use Sennheiser HD280 Pro, as they are closed back, seal tightly and keep out much more noise.
You just did it again! My next purchase is open back HPs, and I was nearly sold on the HD650 (Guy Michelmore swears by them) but there's the AKG712 King-Of-The-Hill reputation so I wondered about that. So I searched HD650 and here's your reply. Harshness is the last thing I want, so it's 650's all the way. SO, you gave me the info to know how to set up my VI composing studio earlier, and verified which cans to get, all in 30 mins, lol. I owe you one, somewhere, somehow!

BassClef

You just did it again! My next purchase is open back HPs, and I was nearly sold on the HD650 (Guy Michelmore swears by them) but there's the AKG712 King-Of-The-Hill reputation so I wondered about that. So I searched HD650 and here's your reply. Harshness is the last thing I want, so it's 650's all the way. SO, you gave me the info to know how to set up my VI composing studio earlier, and verified which cans to get, all in 30 mins, lol. I owe you one, somewhere, somehow!
Glad to help... I also do plumbing, calculus tutoring and marriage counseling!