What's new

Best Granular VSTs?

NI Reaktor has had granular synthesis for a while and there are quite a few free and paid instruments that use its capabilities:

GRIP Grain Cloud Synth:

This is a pretty cool granular instrument for Reaktor I picked up last year - Cataliz

NI Kontakt does it, too. There are a few ready-made granular instruments by various developers, such as Fracture Sounds' Granulate:

Realtime granular effects have become quite mainstream now. I used to use Ross Bencina's https://www.audiomulch.com/ (Audiomulch) for live granular mangling. I'd like to try https://output.com/products/portal (Portal)from Output. Anyone using that one?

I have a bunch (a sucker I am), and I like Spacecraft right now. I did not like it at first, but after using it some, it is neat and because of its design, it gets me places I wouldn't go otherwise.

The granular engine in Pigments is great (better than my experiences with Rapid--maybe better than Falcon).

Biotek is cool in concept, but I always have felt it should have more controls--same with the Glitchmachines stuff (which I've never gotten good results with--except for . . . glitchy stuff).

Sometimes I use Granulizer. I like switching out the samples for some of the presets, trying out different samples, with the presets as a starting point often (I do the same thing with NI Form sometimes).

S + A Cycles has my interest, but it's so pricey.

I'd like to try https://output.com/products/portal (Portal)from Output. Anyone using that one?
I'm curious too. Seems like the best granular fx on the market, but quite expensive for a one trick pony like Movement.

In a similar vein there's Remnant:

It's currently on sale for $29 at Plugin Boutique.

I also like Soundmorph Dust. Much more powerful than appears at first sight. The spatial particle thing it does can have a huge effect on the sound

I have a bunch (a sucker I am), and I like Spacecraft right now. I did not like it at first, but after using it some, it is neat and because of its design, it gets me places I wouldn't go otherwise.

The granular engine in Pigments is great (better than my experiences with Rapid--maybe better than Falcon).

Biotek is cool in concept, but I always have felt it should have more controls--same with the Glitchmachines stuff (which I've never gotten good results with--except for . . . glitchy stuff).

Sometimes I use Granulizer. I like switching out the samples for some of the presets, trying out different samples, with the presets as a starting point often (I do the same thing with NI Form sometimes).

S + A Cycles has my interest, but it's so pricey.
Yea. Forgot Cycles. Probably my favorite. Just eats my cpu but worth it.

I'll put in another vote for Pigments! It's just really fast and easy to use, can be layered with some conventional sounds to "ground" it, lots of modulation, solid FX tools, can use it alongside the sequencer for some pseudo-generative stuff.

Actually I initially regretted purchasing Pigments, not because it was bad, but because I already had similar tools. But when they added the granular engine it fell right in to place in my toolbox! It's not too often you get such a sweeping refund on buyer's remorse!

Pigments here too, I'm biased (having the keylab88 mkii helps) but I've never come across a softsynth with such an easy interface, combined with such freedom to tweak the sounds.

I am partial to Audio Damage's Quanta. That little sucker gives out unexpectedly musical things from places you would not expect.

Also the granular in Omnisphere is quite good as well.
Quanta, Mangle and Pigment are the best three I've played with that are out now.
Thinking about output's Portal but its pricy.
The most musically useful one that I've used was Audioease's Rivverrun, had really nice simple controls that got great sounds. But the abandoned that one, so its yet another one that's off my machine.

Another thumbs up for Quanta from Audio Damage. Not a granular synth but, their Phase three plug is also incredible!

Okay I'm surprised no one mentioned @slateandash Cycles. I've used most of the ones mentioned and Cycles takes it to the next level.

Otherwise I will usually reach for Granulartor II, or Omnisphere for a typical granular engine

Edit: jk it was mentioned a few times, just didnt read well enough :)

Its not new or recent but GRM Freeze is an excellent granular plugin... very high quality, and I really like being able to save settings and then do moves (manually or auto timed) between settings. It seems very good at retaining quality & not just becoming mush... Also capable of great manipulated buffer type processing. Its part of the GRM Classic bundle:

The two deepest granular software I have seen would be Crusher X and Sound Particles - does anyone have experience with either? Far more the cheapest but capable of incredible results:

Crusher X

Sound Particles

Its not new or recent but GRM Freeze is an excellent granular plugin... very high quality, and I really like being able to save settings and then do moves (manually or auto timed) between settings. It seems very good at retaining quality & not just becoming mush... Also capable of great manipulated buffer type processing. Its part of the GRM Classic bundle:

The two deepest granular software I have seen would be Crusher X and Sound Particles - does anyone have experience with either? Far more the cheapest but capable of incredible results:

Crusher X

Sound Particles
I use crusherX, not sure it is worth the complexity but can't deny the power of it. I am thinking of Sound Particles next sale. Soundmorph Dust is a very nice product between crusherX and sound particles.

I have the most current version of Dust, and it's just not working in Catalina/Logic/Bitwig.
Don't waste your time, there are many other apps out there that work.

Top Bottom