What's new

Best / Good / Ideal MIDI Controller For Orchestral Expression Purposes?

If you do a search, the usual few controllers come up. They are expensive ($700-$1000) and some no longer made. To my knowledge you won't find a "cheap" MIDI controller with 2 or 3 long mm faders for the express purpose of cc controlling. If you do, please share!

Or you can go the route of Naked Boards stuff, but it's a far cry from long mm faders.

Good luck!
Found this a couple of weeks ago.

ebay: 3 fader midi controller

s-l1600.jpg

greggybud

Found this a couple of weeks ago.

ebay: 3 fader midi controller

s-l1600.jpg
Nice for the price, but nothing close to those that have long fader travel which is often a distinct advantage. What you posted is just 70mm. Now if they were twice as long, I might be interested.

Loïc D

Monkeying with libraries
I’ve got a Studiologic Mixface and I’m very happy with it.
50mm non motorized faders but plenty of other nice features.

Paul Jelfs

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but there is this from a french composer - He just did his second batch and I managed JUST to get one . Will report on it , if not already done once it arrives.

Was featured in a video by Spitfire on ultimate midi controllers.

Custom Midi Controller with LCD

However, I am really excited about these two - Firstly the Monogram Traveller console

Monogram Traveller Console 60mm Fader + Modules

This is in stock for $399 , and you can extend the warranty to 3 years for $59. I am highly tempted, as it seems such a great idea , but I want to see more people using it with PC and Cubase to make sure there is no issues.

Finally, this controller is coming soon after years of being in development - and looks very good too.
However, it is still Preorder, though they do say its coming April/May. Again I would like to see videos and use of it.

Special Waves Mine S Custom Midi Controller

In the meantime I have ordered the basic 70mm 3 fader design from ebay ,here in the UK , so will report back on how good it is to use :)

What do you guys think about these ?

Finally, I would love to see one of these in production, but its just a DIY project on youtube - And I am NO good at that sort of stuff!

Custom Made Fader Board Midi Controller

Nimrod7

Bill Kastanakis
What do you guys think about these ?
For monogram I don't trust the company. They had another controller (Palette Gear) in the past, very similar. Poorly executed project, eventually abandoned for this one. Whoever got it probably ended up being unusable since the software which is dependent it will eventually become incompatible with OS update (if not already).

The other choices seems interesting to explore.

I currently use an JL Cooper with 100mm and a Nakedboard with 60mm faders.
The Nakedboard is outstanding. Can't say enough how great it is, for $100.

whinecellar

Jim Daneker
It’s anything but compact, but I really love the Behringer X-Touch Compact as a dedicated CC controller. 9 great-feeling 100mm faders, lots of knobs and buttons, times two layers. Only downside is still no Mac editor, but if you have a PC slave, Bob’s your uncle.

I built a custom console for mine to sit next to my regular X-Touch for automation. Love the whole setup, and since the hardware is made by Midas, it actually feels great!

Attachments

• 39C3A850-7F16-427C-AA94-CC97B2DDABC9.jpeg
    39C3A850-7F16-427C-AA94-CC97B2DDABC9.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 18
  • FABFA824-1C68-4952-ABDE-0A3C4702E0E3.jpeg
    FABFA824-1C68-4952-ABDE-0A3C4702E0E3.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 18
Nice for the price, but nothing close to those that have long fader travel which is often a distinct advantage. What you posted is just 70mm. Now if they were twice as long, I might be interested.
Hey, never claimed it was perfect.

ALittleNightMusic

18 time Oscar winner
Monogram CC seems wildly overpriced for what it is. Nakedboard MC-8 is still my go to. Eight 70mm faders, super smooth with a nice grippy fader cap, $100.

Top Bottom