What's new

Best double bass for jazz? (sampled or modelled)

It’s been a couple of months since Premiere Sound Factory changed their website and removed most of their instruments. Really a shame. I was hoping to see some new instruments or interfaces on the old ones, but nothing yet. After so many unanswered emails I’m starting to believe he may not read english, and perhaps tosses anything that isn’t in Japanese. Although he does visit the NAMM show in California, so I’m not sure how he’d get by with no english reading skills. :)

Hopefully they will return someday. I still use thier bass regularly, but Trilian has also worked in a pinch. ;)

VSL Upright

and

https://www.drealm.info/sfz/DSmolken/

Meat Bass is fun too

https://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samples/wydawnictwa/meatbass
Heh, thanks. The old double bass has some excessively loud velocity layers and all those percussive and bow noises, which to be honest were not that good an idea at the time, but fast forward a few years and being weird and noisy has become sort of trendy.

It’s been a couple of months since Premiere Sound Factory changed their website and removed most of their instruments. Really a shame. I was hoping to see some new instruments or interfaces on the old ones, but nothing yet. After so many unanswered emails I’m starting to believe he may not read english, and perhaps tosses anything that isn’t in Japanese. Although he does visit the NAMM show in California, so I’m not sure how he’d get by with no english reading skills. :)

Hopefully they will return someday. I still use thier bass regularly, but Trilian has also worked in a pinch. ;)

They have re-introduced the Steinway Piano library which was previously "coming soon." I like their libraries a lot. Hopefully they'll be fully back up soon

Maybe Mike Greene could corner him at NAMM next year and ask a few questions.

I went with VSL Upright since i have VI Pro and MIRx.

And this controller - great articulations.

Good feel with the bass input.

20180224_083830.jpg

Thanks. It's very nice to see that the first samples I ever made are still proving useful. Maybe I should sample that bass for a third time, and this time do it seriously - sample every note, do crossfaded dynamic layers for the long bows, more articulations etc.

It'll likely happen - I'm moving towards making more detailed instruments anyway. I just released a brushed drum kit last night, have 12 GB of raw material recorded for a weird electric 12-string guitar from the Communist era, and it would be reasonable to do my bass next after that. Beyond just doing more of the same kinds of samples, I think I can make unpitched bow scratching noises playable and controllable, in a similar way that I made an early prototype of the snare stirs in the brushed kit.

Do tell! Got a link? Or a link to a commercial page on this site? I'm interested in both the bass and the brush kit.
Sure: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/swirly-drums-brushed-drum-kit-by-karoryfer-samples.69385/

The drummer I recorded it with suddenly wants to record his hammered dulcimer this weekend, too - I've been trying to talk him into that for 3-4 years, but I guess it took seeing sales numbers to motivate him, heh. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

AFAIK, the section of their web site for the Premier is still inactive and has been for over 7 months now. Only their drum package is active. No idea why; very strange. And other products that were due out "shortly" still aren't available yet either.
For the ones interested, here's an answer gave at KVR about what's happened.
"
Hello (x),

We are sorry for the trouble. We got a cyber attack at 2017, and everything is gone. But I thought it's good chance to release better libraries with user friendly GUI and functions. Now we published Piano and Wind chime first. The next is Shakuhachi and basses until this summer.

Thank you.
Best,
Ichiro

"
Edit: Just added within another reply:
"
Our plan is everything will be re-released in 2018.
"

Last edited:
For the ones interested, here's an answer gave at KVR about what's happened.
"
Hello (x),

We are sorry for the trouble. We got a cyber attack at 2017, and everything is gone. But I thought it's good chance to release better libraries with user friendly GUI and functions. Now we published Piano and Wind chime first. The next is Shakuhachi and basses until this summer.

Thank you.
Best,
Ichiro

"
Still puzzling though. Many knew about their cyber attack, but everything “gone” is where questions arise. Surely they had back up files for their product or they could obtain the bass from a customer and rebuild it, or something similar? I’d certainly be pleased to assist, and Kurt might provide the GUI. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, but I’m not sure they really want to do that, based on that response and the time frame. It’s too bad as well, because their bass is a good one, and one might think there’s still money to be made with only a little effort on their part. Just my take on the subject though.

FYI - just saw that the Straight Ahead Bass is on sale for this Memorial Day weekend (2018). 60% off at only $36. Based on reviews here in this thread I couldn't resist at that price. Looking forward to playing with this one. Cheers!

Top Bottom