Best cinematic and emtional piano libraries

Michael Antrum

Only the good die young....
The one thing that stops me buying Noire, is that I don’t have a bunch of Greta pianos already, and I know it will be in the next version of Komplete...

erikradbo

Really appreciate all the feedback on here. So torn between Noire and Woodchester to compliment Una Corda and Vintage D. And now I have to think about ASCEND as a prepared piano! xP
I have woodchester and una corda, as well as the rest of NI KompleteU pianos, but not Noire. I also have Olafur and CSP. I rarely end up using woodchester, but for felt I grab 1. Olafur and 2. Una Corda. Don't get me wrong, Woodchester have a Lovely sound, but I'm just not that taken by it, or if it doesn't sit as well in the mix. For pure pianos its usually the grandeur but I've also gotten some good milage out of CSP which have a very different tone.

I'm looking to grab Noire, because that tone seems to be incredible, so I'd say get Noire.

Yohan73

Composer / Songwriter / Sound deisgner
I have all the Native pianos included in Komplete, Spitfire felt piano and Ascend.
I would say that none would fit every kind of composition, most of the time I would go for the Alicia Keys, the piano felt or Ascend.
Ascend is a beast of creativity and its effects are very good (as previously said it can be heavy on CPU).
I also have to mention Una Corda and The Giant which are also very good.
I've also never got any click on these pianos, the samples have been properly cleaned.

transverb

Has anyone compared Frozen Piano or Oliver's Piano in OPW against the usual suspects (Felt, Noire, Woodchester)? Still on the fence for this piano tone in my library. I've been listening to walkthroughs last few days but still torn.

Having been on something of a piano-buying odyssey this year I would now strongly advise that if you are looking for an "emotional/cinematic" piano, you should get one of the big libraries that excel in richness/detail/realism (eg Cinepiano, Mercury, Walker D, Hammersmith), which you can easily then make "emotional" by tweaking dynamics and EQ. This will turn out to be a much more versatile investment. Of course if you want felt then you'll need one of those too (eg Noire, Olafur Arnalds Toolkit), and Una Corda is really sui generis.

Iswhatitis

I'm personally a big fan of Heavyocity's Ascend. You can get so many different sounds out of it on top of a great sounding organic grand.

I am sadly unimpressed with Ascend Piano. Too many other pianos sound so much better than it. Almost all of the presets are useless too. The price point seems attractive but at the end of the day I doubt I will ever use it. Ivory Grand Pianos, HZ Piano and CinePiano are all terrific. Avoid Ascend it’s just a waste of money. I love a lot of Heavyocity titles, this one was a dud.

5Lives

I am sadly unimpressed with Ascend Piano. Too many other pianos sound so much better than it. Almost all of the presets are useless too. The price point seems attractive but at the end of the day I doubt I will ever use it. Ivory Grand Pianos, HZ Piano and CinePiano are all terrific. Avoid Ascend it’s just a waste of money. I love a lot of Heavyocity titles, this one was a dud.
Bummer to hear that as the demos and videos made it seem like it sounded quite good.

I disagree. I love Ascend (and Noire). Obviously, we're all are attracted to different sounds and instruments. Ascend a dud? Not to me!

I've found ascend to be one of the most unique creative tools, there's nothing like it really. its in line with heavyocities sound design tool rather than a straight up piano.

I've also found that frozen piano is absolutely fantastic when layered with another piano. I use it with NI pianos and it really makes them come to life.

If the original poster is a piano teacher, I think they’d enjoy Keyscape. The cinematic piano preset is really nice. Plus you get tons and tons of other amazing sampled acoustic and electric keyboard instruments. Some of the duo patches are awesome.

I have had Keyscape since it came out and really enjoy it. I have since added Noire and Embertone’s Walker Steinway, which are both excellent. But the variety you get with Keyscape will keep you inspired for years.

Sears Poncho

I've found ascend to be one of the most unique creative tools, there's nothing like it really.
Same here. I'm not a pianist nor do I think I own any "high end" piano libraries but the piano is solid. The unaffected "core" piano sounds are very convenient to scroll through, including 'rock' and 'dark' etc. The FX put this until a different ballpark. I have a ton of Heavyocity libraries but IMO Ascend is the most impressive. I look forward to January- more time to play it.

Buz

Can an Ascend fan offer any more info? Is it just the way the UI is designed that makes it more inspiring to mix sounds? Or is there something you don't get elsewhere... (yes there are articulation layers, but I couldn't find anything new sounding on walkthrough vids)

Bluemount Score

The one thing that stops me buying Noire, is that I don’t have a bunch of Greta pianos already, and I know it will be in the next version of Komplete...
For me, it is the fact of missing microphone positions. The ability of moving an instrument back into the stage is important for me. I went with CSP a couple of days ago for that reason. I know there are workarounds but I prefer the most natural way whenever possible.