What's new

Best Chinese Instrument libraries 2019?

That's an hour I'll never get back, but it is also a time-saver to do this sort of research and get to a level of confidence of what's what. It's just amazing though, how most vendors are extremely sloppy in their labeling and terminology, when it comes to non-western instruments.

Anyway, if you see something labeled Chinese Bamboo Flute, it is usually a Dizi (low pitched is the most common), and rarely a Xiao. A Bamboo Flute with no nationality listed, such as the one in Ethno World, may be from somewhere else (for instance, theirs is from Indonesia).

The Xiao is rarely sampled; the Dizi is a bit more common in the sampling world and treated a bit better when it is. I could tell by the sound alone that both of Andy Findon's are Dizi models, but I could be wrong. Usually the Dizi sounds a bit airy to me compared with the Xiao (in spite of the orientation comparisons to an orchestral flute vs. an end-blown flute from the Middle East).

The tiny Koudi has not been sampled as far as I know, and is rarely played anyway, as it was invented in 1971 by a famous Dizi maker.

The Garritan World instruments have very little going for them, as one would expect, but can serve as an academic reference. Annoyingly, all of their patches are extremely sample-stretched, with no indicators or documentation (within the instrument) on natural range. Perhaps they sampled multiple voicings, but more likely they took one standard instrument and stretched in both directions, based on the sound quality. Very little if any expression available, or articulations.

For the Xiao, Tarilonte did it twice and Silk has one. The latter may have more articulations, but I think the vibrato is fairly baked in. I have a slight preference for Tarilonte's, and maybe even Epic World (which also includes phrases) over Forest Kingdom.

Dizi is a bit more straightforward, as Andy Findon tackled this one and did a superb job. Note that the Dizi usually has a membrane near the mouthpiece hole, so he calls the one in his second volume a Chinese Membrane Flute. Most of Andy's terminology in his libraries is WAY off-base; it took a lot of research to really figured out what he sampled for most of those two collections.

My rankings for both instruments are below, and remember that the one in Ethno World is an Indonesian End-Blown Bamboo Flute, so is left off these lists but is extremely good.

Xiao (Chinese End-Blown Bamboo Flute)
  1. Eduardo Tarilonte's Forest Kingdom: Instruments: Wind: Xiao Flute (Engine)
  2. Eduardo Tarilonte's Epic World: Instruments: Xiao Long Notes (Engine) — Extended Range
  3. EW Silk: China: Xiao (Wind) (Play)
  4. Garritan World Instruments: Winds: China: Xiao (ARIA) — Extended Range

Dizi (Chinese Transverse Bamboo Flute)
  1. Spitfire Andy Findon Kitbag: Chinese Bamboo Flute (Kontakt) — Low Dizi
  2. Spitfire Andy Findon Kitbag: Chinese Membrane Flute (Kontakt) — High Dizi
  3. Eduardo Tarilonte's Epic World: Instruments: Low Dizi (Engine) — Extended Range
  4. Bela D Media Anthology 2: Spiritual Wind: Dizi (Kontakt) — BC support
  5. EW Silk: China: Dizi Large (Wind) (Play) — Low Dizi
  6. EW Silk: China: Dizi Small (Wind) (Play) — High Dizi
  7. EW Ra: Far East: Wind: Dizi (Play) — High Dizi
  8. Garritan World Instruments: Winds: China: Di-zi (ARIA) — Extended Range

I hope this is helpful to somebody.

Last edited:
That's an hour I'll never get back, but it is also a time-saver to do this sort of research and get to a level of confidence of what's what. It's just amazing though, how most vendors are extremely sloppy in their labeling and terminology, when it comes to non-western instruments.

Anyway, if you see something labeled Chinese Bamboo Flute, it is usually a Dizi (low pitched is the most common), and rarely a transverse Xiao. A Bamboo Flute with no nationality listed, such as the one in Ethno World, may be from somewhere else, and theirs for instance is from Indonesia.

The Xiao is rarely sampled; the Dizi is a bit more common in the sampling world and treated a bit better when it is. I could tell by the sound alone that both of Andy Findon's are Dizi models, but I could be wrong. Usually the Dizi sounds a bit airy; whereas the Xiao usually sounds a bit closer to an orchestral flute. The tiny Koudi has not been sampled as far as I know, and is rarely played anyway.

The Garritan World instruments have very little going for them, as one would expect, but can serve as an academic reference. Annoyingly, all of their patches are extremely sample-stretched, with no indicators or documentation (within the instrument) on natural range. Perhaps they sampled multiple voicings, but more likely they took one standard instrument and stretched in both directions, based on the sound quality. Very little if any expression available, or articulations.

For the Xiao, Tarilonte did it twice and Silk has one. The latter may have more articulations, but I think the vibrato is fairly baked in. I have a slight preference for Tarilonte's, and maybe even Epic World (which also includes phrases) over Forest Kingdom.

Dizi is a bit more straightforward, as Andy Findon tackled this one and did a superb job. Note that the Dizi usually has a membrane near the mouthpiece hole, so he calls the one in his second volume a Chinese Membrane Flute. Most of Andy's terminology in his libraries is WAY off-base; it took a lot of research to really figured out what he sampled for most of those two collections.

My rankings for both instruments are below, and remember that the one in Ethno World is an Indonesian End-Blown Bamboo Flute, so is left off these lists but is extremely good.

Xiao (Chinese Transverse Flute)
  1. Eduardo Tarilonte's Forest Kingdom: Instruments: Wind: Xiao Flute (Engine)
  2. Eduardo Tarilonte's Epic World: Instruments: Xiao Long Notes (Engine) — Extended Range
  3. EW Silk: China: Xiao (Wind) (Play)
  4. Garritan World Instruments: Winds: China: Xiao (ARIA) — Extended Range

Dizi (Chinese End-Blown Bamboo Flute)
  1. Spitfire Andy Findon Kitbag: Chinese Bamboo Flute (Kontakt) — Low Dizi
  2. Spitfire Andy Findon Kitbag: Chinese Membrane Flute (Kontakt) — High Dizi
  3. Eduardo Tarilonte's Epic World: Instruments: Low Dizi (Engine) — Extended Range
  4. Bela D Media Anthology 2: Spiritual Wind: Dizi (Kontakt) — BC support
  5. EW Silk: China: Dizi Large (Wind) (Play) — Low DXizi
  6. EW Silk: China: Dizi Small (Wind) (Play) — High Dizi
  7. EW Ra: Far East: Wind: Dizi (Play) — High Dizi
  8. Garritan World Instruments: Winds: China: Di-zi (ARIA) — Extended Range

I hope this is helpful to somebody.

(broken link removed)

This one is newly released and it sounds like a real deal.

Looks like three materials on offer for three patches, including one made of bone or maybe stone.

The audio demos fail when I try them.

Unfortunately what little Chinese I once knew, is now forgotten.

600 yuan converts to roughly 85 or 90 US Dollars, and the library size is 4 GB once decompressed. Seems like a good deal overall.

I would have preferred that my full post had not been quoted above, as it contains errors that I am about to correct, and as exactly 0% of what was said has anything at all to do with the reply. I'll never understand the popularity of quoting posts; it only causes trouble.

Last edited:
As is often the case, the Wiki Instruments database is quite helpful here:

When in doubt, if you have a picture accompanying a sample library source, the end-blown configuration would be a Dizi and the transverse orientation would be a Xiao. Different materials can be used for either, but various types of bamboo is pretty common.

Xiao is end blown, Dizi is side and with the membrane.

I was tired of searching for any Dizi (Bamboo Flute), and then suddenly found this:

I don't have high expectation (they look like private Kontakt libraries), but may be anyone have heard at least anything about it or (I might be asking too much) have ever tried it?

Using his demo video from here, the developer seems to have gotten the Xiao sound very well.

This is a recorded version of the piece "If Clouds Knew" the developer used in the dizi demo video that you can use for comparison.

Last edited:
I had corrected that in the other post but hadn't re-found the earlier one yet, but it too is now corrected. It takes many iterations for me to get something right, when cross-referencing a dozen or more references at once. My linear memory isn't that great; I'm a mathematician so my specialty is seeing patterns. Orientation is also irrelevant (I specialized in Topology); Organic Chemistry was a challenge when I tried to switch from Engineering to Genetics in Grad School. :)

I wasn't expecting anything when I clicked on that thread, but it proved to be quite instructive!... Thanks to you all!

Although I have a decent one in Silk, I have been shopping for a Guzheng (Chinese Zither) recently.
The ones available are:

Impact Soundworks (Plectra Series)
WavesFactory Guzheng
Soniccouture Guzheng
Evolution Series World Strings Guzheng
Best Service Gu Zheng (made in China)
Sound Magic

After my research, I plan to get the Evolution, but I like the Best Service one a lot too. Of course, I don't own any of them, so somebody like Mark might be a better judge.

This is personal, but I prefer the sound of the Bawu more than the Dizi and Xiao for a Chinese wind instrument. The Efimov Bawu sounds better to me in the demos than the Embertone Bawu, so I'm probably going to get it now, while there's a sale on. The Bawu in Silk is nice, I just don't like the Silk interface. Efimov also has a Hulusi, and sells it with the Bawu in a set.

https://www.supremepiano.com/index.html (Sound Magic)offers a set called Bamboo Dreams, which includes a Long Dizi, a short Dizi, a Xiao, and a Bawu. They are available separately and they sell a Pipa too.

The Yangquin or Yang Quin (hammered dulcimer) is one of my favorite Chinese instruments. It's in Silk. A really amazing one is made by a company called 3 Body Tech--they call it (broken link removed). And 50% off today!

For the record, Aria Sounds also has a Xiao. I can't vouch for the quality, but you can currently pick it up for 67 euros at VSTBuzz, and it also comes with a Bansuri, a Celtic Harp, the LSS Solo Strings, 3 percussion libraries, a piano, pipe organ and a harpsichord. And its still way cheaper than the currently discounted Silk and Tarilonte.

If you want to see these instruments in action vs Western instruments, watch the students of a music school, challenged by a rebel Guzheng player, battle in this Chinese teen movie. Guzheng vs. Harp, Erhu vs Violin, Yangquin vs piano, Sheng (I think) vs trumpet, Dizi and Xiao vs winds, etc. (Plot point: the Yangquin player--the star of the film--has a crush on the piano player) Game over when the last guy comes in wailing on a Suona, and no western instruments can match his sound.

Last edited:
Cool battle scene. For its opposite, I know this is Mongolian, but the zither, dulcimer and flute seem very similar to Chinese ones, and there's fiddles as well. This is an example of working together with Western instruments to make a coherent whole. Really nicely blended.

Actually, the hammered dulcimer is very similar to Eastern European ones, too, if you got samples of one it can probably fill in for the other.

As you might have guessed, I use Bawu more in my own music than Xiao or Dizi as well. Efimov's is magnificent, but the one in Silk is pretty good as well (though I too despise the Play workflow and interface), and both Garritan World and Ethno World have token representations.

My rankings of Guzhing are below, but I tend to use Korean zithers and Japanese Koto a bit more, so take this with a grain of salt as I didn't take the time to annotate the advantages of each, and also the bottom three or four aren't specifically ordered at this point, pending further review -- for instance, I doubt that Garritan World is better than Silk.

Gu Zheng (Guzheng/18-23-String Chinese Zither)
  1. ISW Guzheng (Kontakt)
  2. Yellow River Sound Gu Zheng (Engine)
  3. Evolution Series: World Strings: Guzheng (Kontakt)
  4. Soniccouture Guzheng (Kontakt)
  5. Wavesfactory Guzheng (Kontakt)
  6. Garritan World Instruments (ARIA)
  7. EW Silk (Play)
The Yellow River Sound product is the one from Best Service. I think all of these are on sale this weekend. Getting Bawu and Hulusi together from Efimov is advantageous for good blend.

I have been ignoring Sound Magic for years, because it was my understanding that they are Windows-only, but I see that they do support macOS (at least they do now). Interesting that they cover the modern Koudi, which I said no one had sampled, but they simply call it a Short Dizi.

Chinee Kong is Windows-only. That might be why I also thought Sound Magic's stuff wasn't for the Mac. Chinee Kong probably have the most complete collection of anybody, and the material is deliberately recorded in a way that it blends and positions well within a Chinese Orchestra setup.

I must say, those discounts are quite enticing for Sound Magic today! So many configurations of price reductions and freebies, which makes it very flexible depending on what you want or need.

As much as I hear the instrument live now and then in my area, and have good libraries already, I have never grown attached to the Er Hu.

The Pipa may be my favourite Chinese instrument, and the best one I have is in Silk, but I had been eying the expensive one from Ample as a future purchase. Has anyone compared these?

The Konghou was extinct for a long time but has had as revival. I rather like the Chinese Harp sound and find it something I would likely use. I don't think anyone else has sampled one.

I already have a lot of Guzhengs that are all pretty good, but Bamboo Dreams might be worth it as it seems their Dizi goes deeper feature-wised than most and they of course include the "Short Dizi" and what may be the best Xiao. I have good Bawus already but this one might possibly be the best.

So one choice would be to get Bamboo Dreams with Pipa for free ($149 total), and Guzheng with Konghou for free ($99 total), or maybe Kongou with Bamboo Dreams for free ($149 total) and Laurel Pipa on its own ($59 total).

So that would be $250 for all but Erhu, and $200 for all but Erhu and Guzheng.

For the more timid, there's the China Impression bundle, but it makes future purchases awkward as it extracts the Bawu from Bamboo Dreams as a freebie but that library doesn't offer a la carte purchases.

My personal short list is now consist of:
-Embertone Chang Erhu (just purchased!)
-Ample Sound Pipa (I have extra -10% on top because do have ABU, so it is clearly the next purchase).
-Ilya Efimov Hulusi (and may be Bawu) - will be added to my shopping list a bit later.
-ISW Guzheng (with 50$ Gift card in APD that could be purchased with APD money resulting -20$ discount it must be a bargain, though I haven’t checked that myself)

I would like to mention some nice gongs in Saga Trailer Percussion that I also have.

Last edited:
Ethno World also has a Gu Zheng, which they call Zheng Harp. It's actually quite good for its small sample size, so I'd place it right behind the ones from Soniccouture and Wavesfactory.

I have updated my list after careful review, and studying the user manuals. I remember there being a recent library that I skipped due to already having so many good ones, but can't remember which vendor it was that offered a new entry. or maybe I'm confused as I think Evolution Series had a new product that I considered redundant vs. how many offerings I already had for that instrument.

Gu Zheng (Guzheng/18-23-String Chinese Zither)
  1. ISW Guzheng (Kontakt) — 18 unique articulations
  2. Yellow River Sound Gu Zheng (Engine) — 17 unique articulations; sympathetic resonance
  3. Evolution Series: World Strings: Guzheng (Kontakt) — 14 articulations; four mics to mix
  4. Soniccouture Guzheng (Kontakt) — notes colour-coded for natural vs. extended chromatic
  5. Wavesfactory Guzheng (Kontakt) — 5 articulations, including eBow
  6. Ethno World: Stringed Instruments: Zheng Harp (Kontakt)
  7. EW Silk: China: Guzheng (String) (Play)
  8. Garritan World Instruments (ARIA)
There are so many differences between these libraries, in how they're miked, played, available techniques, etc., that I'm not really sure that there is one that does it all. I do not regret having so many, that is for sure. And I would need more time to truly firm up that order of preference, but I would say that I'm confident that none of them are off by more than one place in the list at most.

Top Bottom