Bernard Herrmann "Vertigo Prelude" Mockup !

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by whitewasteland, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Michelob

Michelob Pouet pouet !

This is great ! Very impressive. Did you quantify (edit : quantize, sorry) everything ? At some parts, maybe it sounds a bit "squared". Perhaps a tempo track could help humanizing when needed ? (because, you know, this is really details, it sounds already very good as it is).

whitewasteland likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

whitewasteland Senior Member

Thank you ! Everything is quantized, I didn't play much. My favourite way of humanizing stuff is to "play" manually the tempo map, this is what I did for this mockup, as you can see on the pic :

31543034_10155604331810292_7150708570282000384_o.jpg

But you're right, I could have done better with the variations, especially on this kind of piece... :)

Meo96 and Michelob like this.
  3. Michelob

Michelob Pouet pouet !

I understand, that's always a challenge to find the right balance between rough or quantized takes.

Edit : I mean : for me too. Because I guess the best you play, the less you have to quantize.

4. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

I would love to have some slider in Cubase that moves the selected notes between their rough and quantized position, and tweakable at all time. Their is something like this in the VariAudio, where 0% is the raw pitch and 100% is the edited one.

That would probably save a lot of headaches :)

Michelob likes this.
  5. Michelob

Michelob Pouet pouet !

Oh ! Don't you have this in Cubase ? Are you shure ? Here in Reaper, we've got percent tweaking of quantize. Yeah ok, not with a slider, but surely could as everything seems possible to Reaper...

6. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

Well you surely can, but I'm not sure you can go back to the original positions at all time.

But now I'm in doubt, have to verify this :)

7. Michelob

Michelob Pouet pouet !

Ok check it out because I wouldn't be surprised that quantize should be non-destructive unless you really want it.

8. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

So, after a little research, it seems you can go back to the original position, but can't "move" between the two... :)

9. rhye

rhye Member

Jun 25, 2016
    San Diego
    Did you use the mutes expansion of Berlin Brass? Fantastic job!

10. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

Thanks! It is the main Berlin Brass library, the muted were done with the Fabfilter Pro-Q2 presets provided by @aaronventure on this thread :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    rhye likes this.
  11. Zedcars

Zedcars New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Pretty sure the iterative quantise box allows you to move between any degree of quantization as a percentage (not in my studio at the moment so can’t check). I think it even allows you to do this with play activated.

Of course, if you have a mixture of triplets and/or duplets it makes it a bit difficult, although it might handle that ok - not sure. Will check when I next can.

Fantastic mock-up BTW - I’ve been listening to a lot of Bernard Herrmann recently as I was trying to decide if I wanted to buy the Spitfire library.

Thanks for sharing, and happy new year to you!

12. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

Thank you @Zedcars ! If you find a solution for this quantization as a percentage, I'm interested :) Couldn't find it yet.

Thanks also for the mockup, and happy new year to you too !

13. Zedcars

Zedcars New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If you select the notes you wish to quantize, then open up the Quantize Panel (Q+Ctrl on Mac) in the Edit menu, down the bottom left is the Iterative Quantize on/off button where you can also set the percentage. I believe this allows you to move it closer or further away from the main quantize grid settings in the upper part of that window. You need to press the quantize button in the lower right to affect the changes, and you can reset the quantized notes with the bottom left reset button.

You can also access the Iterative Quantize from the Inspector or Toolbar in the editors.

Hope that helps.

14. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

Thank you @Zedcars !!

Zedcars likes this.