Bernard Herrmann "Vertigo Prelude" Mockup !

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by whitewasteland, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Hi everyone,

I just finished this short mockup of the "Vertigo Prelude", by the great Bernard Herrmann. I've been learning tons of stuff with this score, and it was really fun to mockup :) What a maestro he was !

This was also my first try with the Orchestral Tools Berlin First Chairs, as I wanted to see how they would complement the strings from Metropolis Arks to emulate the sound of a studio orchestra.

Here are the virtual instruments I used :

Timpani : OT Metropolis Ark 3
    Strings : OT Berlin First Chairs, layered with touches of Metropolis Ark 1 & 2
    Brass : OT Berlin Brass
    Woodwinds : OT Metropolis Ark 2 & VSL Woodwinds SE 1 & 1Plus
    Glockenspiel, Harp & Marimba : 8Dio AGE

For fun, I also tried to recreate the sound of the original recording, using console & tape machine emulations, and various EQs.

I sincerely hope you will enjoy the result, and please feel free to comment :)

Emmanuel

2. Divico

Divico Active Member

Lovely mockup. Really powerfull brass. Only critique I have that the brass is a bit to close sounding for me.

whitewasteland likes this.
  3. Pantonal

Pantonal Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Truly cool music! So very interesting and your mockup is really good. I had no issues with the sound of the brass, but I have an old man's ears. You picked an amazing piece of music.

4. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

whitewasteland Senior Member

Thanks ! I'll have to check this brass tomorrow :)

5. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    You were able to get pretty close to the original studio-orchestra feeling without using a single "Bernard Hermann Orchestra" library I noticed ;)

Very nice sound!

jonathanparham likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

Ahah, didn't get this one ! I was saving for the Danny Elfman Oompa Loompa Toolkit. :)

7. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    I'm finding myself sorry I missed this first time around. Great job, this is excellent! Makes me think about getting Met Ark 2.

8. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

Thank you @Parsifal666 ! I love Ark 2, and generally speaking all my Orchestral Tools libraries. I also know you're not a fan of the 1st volume, so... :)

The real strenghts of Ark 2 are its Woodwinds & Brass sections, they're fantastic (Alto flutes, bass flutes, bass clarinets & contrabass clarinets for the Winds, Wagner tubas, fluegelhorns, bass trumpets, euphoniums and tubas for the Brass).

They're not the main elements in my mockup, though. The most important are Berlin First Chairs, Berlin Brass & VSL Woodwinds SE.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Parsifal666 likes this.
  9. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    I must say, I finally got around to the Ark 2 walkthrough and was STUNNED at how interesting that library is, so thanks for that as well (well, my wallet doesn't thank you lol!).

It always bummed me out that there weren't any clarinets in Met Ark 1, but they are obviously pretty darn good in 2!

Had I owned Met Ark 1 before my Hollywoods, EWSC, and Albions I would have FREEKED over it, because as far as the brass and choir go, it's as Wagnerian as I've ever heard. However, I was delighted to see Wagnerian tubas in 2 :) :) \m/

10. Ned Bouhalassa

Ned Bouhalassa Senior Member

Sep 30, 2004
    This is my favourite score, and you did a great job on this piece! My only criticism is the the last melodic line, about 60% in, the high strings, could be more powerful, climatic, like love finally released from its prison.

whitewasteland and Parsifal666 like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

Thank you @Ned Bouhalassa, those strings were made with Berlin First Chairs and Metropolis Ark 2. A dedicated string library would probably have helped getting a bit more intensity :) I also realized afterwards I could have played a bit more with the tempo track !

Ned Bouhalassa likes this.
  12. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    It's definitely one of the finest mockups I've heard here...though I admit I'm biased due to being a Herrmann fanatic.

Have you considered BHOT? It's my overall favorite library and good for far more than just emulating BH, trust me on this.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  13. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

Thank you so much ! But yeah, maybe it’s the Herrmaniac talking, ahah :)

BHOT indeed looks fantastic, but I decided I had enough Ensemble libraries at the moment and should focus on dedicated Winds & Strings, which are still missing to my writing...

The only exception to this rule is the Metropolis Series, which became like a Christmas tradition to me :whistling:

Parsifal666 likes this.
  14. Parsifal666

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    I have to recommend the Hein woodwinds, strongly. The workflow has a bit of a learning curve, but these samples are sooo dry and thus sooo malleable. Best solo woodwind library I've ever owned personally, and yes I own and like the Hollywood.

15. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

Thanks, will take a look !

Parsifal666 likes this.
  16. Wally Garten

Wally Garten Active Member

Apr 23, 2018
    100% must-have.

(This is a great mock-up, BTW.)

17. Bill the Lesser

Bill the Lesser Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Absolutely gorgeous! Where there are slight differences, I mostly prefer your version. Could easily have been convinced that was a "real" orchestra. Great job on the mix too, no mud whatsoever.

18. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
  19. Iskra

Iskra Active Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Great mockup (of an amazing piece of music)!

20. OP
    OP
    whitewasteland

Thank you all for the kind words!