What's new

Berlin Woodwinds Exp. B & C: Soloists (A Review)

I agree these are excellent libraries and I think you did a great good showing them off. The capsule engine improves them a lot since the OT video demos they made several years ago (I think particularly in the legatos). I always wish we got a piccolo and contrabassoon of similar quality, although it might be difficult to record those instruments in a small space.

I agree these are excellent libraries and I think you did a great good showing them off. The capsule engine improves them a lot since the OT video demos they made several years ago (I think particularly in the legatos). I always wish we got a piccolo and contrabassoon of similar quality, although it might be difficult to record those instruments in a small space.
Yes, those two instruments would be a nice bonus to round off the extreme ranges. Thanks for watching!

I like the Fluffy flute for its versatility and variety of articulations in a solo instrument, but its sound signature is a little too clean & pristine to my ears (more airy and Mozartian) compared to the full-bodied, melancholy tones of the OT solo flute. BWW Exp B is the most "emotional" flute VI to my taste.

I like the Fluffy flute for its versatility and variety of articulations in a solo instrument, but its sound signature is a little too clean & pristine to my ears (more airy and Mozartian) compared to the full-bodied, melancholy tones of the OT solo flute. BWW Exp B is the most "emotional" flute VI to my taste.
Great info. Thanks. Definitely more interested in the full bodied melancholy tones :)

@ChrisSiuMusic --

I'm re-watching your video because of the Completion Days Sale. You mention that the velocity triggers different attacks, I'm guess that it is toggling between crescendo and decrescendo. Is that correct?

In the multi articulation patch, I see SusA and SusR:
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 2.12.15 PM.png

So it looks like the multi has crescendo and decrescendo broken into two articulations triggered by keyswitches. If that is correct, that would mean that your demonstration of most of the instruments (the ones played on multis) are only triggering the decrescendos. (But they still sound good.:))

Another couple of things that I am curious about are the retongued legatos and the modwheel function. I'm guessing the modwheel just controls volume. At first I thought retonguing is just for repeating long notes, but in https://youtu.be/bwtALWwleHs?t=152 (OT's video), they show the retongued legato being used by the clarinet as a different way to shape an entire phrase.

I went to check out the details on http://www.orchestraltools.com/libraries/bww_exp_b.php (Orchestral Tool's website), but the PDF with details currently links to the http://www.orchestraltools.com/resources/documents/Berlin_Strings_Exp_B.pdf (wrong library). Hopefully OT will fix that.

---

EDIT: Through OT's help desk, I found documentation. One interesting thing I noticed is that the solo clarinet includes both vibrato and non-vibrato longs. (As do all of the double reeds.)
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 8.11.14 PM.png

I have to say, Orchestral Tool's way of presenting this makes it all extremely confusing, particularly the way they laid out the multi articulation patches.

My main question is how to trigger the three legato types (expressive, agile, retongued) when using the single articulation patch, as well as how to trigger each of the legatos using the multi articulation patch.

Last edited:
@ChrisSiuMusic --

I'm re-watching your video because of the Completion Days Sale. You mention that the velocity triggers different attacks, I'm guess that it is toggling between crescendo and decrescendo. Is that correct?

In the multi articulation patch, I see SusA and SusR:

So it looks like the multi has crescendo and decrescendo broken into two articulations triggered by keyswitches. If that is correct, that would mean that your demonstration of most of the instruments (the ones played on multis) are only triggering the decrescendos. (But they still sound good.:))

Another couple of things that I am curious about are the retongued legatos and the modwheel function. I'm guessing the modwheel just controls volume. At first I thought retonguing is just for repeating long notes, but in https://youtu.be/bwtALWwleHs?t=152 (OT's video), they show the retongued legato being used by the clarinet as a different way to shape an entire phrase.

I went to check out the details on http://www.orchestraltools.com/libraries/bww_exp_b.php (Orchestral Tool's website), but the PDF with details currently links to the http://www.orchestraltools.com/resources/documents/Berlin_Strings_Exp_B.pdf (wrong library). Hopefully OT will fix that.

---

EDIT: Through OT's help desk, I found documentation. One interesting thing I noticed is that the solo clarinet includes both vibrato and non-vibrato longs. (As do all of the double reeds.)
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 8.11.14 PM.png

I have to say, Orchestral Tool's way of presenting this makes it all extremely confusing, particularly the way they laid out the multi articulation patches.

My main question is how to trigger the three legato types (expressive, agile, retongued) when using the single articulation patch, as well as how to trigger each of the legatos using the multi articulation patch.
In the single patch, your playing speed determines the legato speed (expressive/agile), while you can control the retounged legato in the GUI, and possibly map it to a CC. I'd contact OT just to confirm that :D

Yes, I am toggling between cresc/decresc when I'm playing a phrase :) The engine handles all the legato transitions, so when I'm playing a phrase it doesn't sound like decrescendos being activated, but obviously they're evident with a long held note.

In the single patch, your playing speed determines the legato speed (expressive/agile), while you can control the retounged legato in the GUI, and possibly map it to a CC. I'd contact OT just to confirm that :D

Yes, I am toggling between cresc/decresc when I'm playing a phrase :) The engine handles all the legato transitions, so when I'm playing a phrase it doesn't sound like decrescendos being activated, but obviously they're evident with a long held note.
Thanks Chris. When using the multi articulation patch
is SusA decresc and SusR cresc? And do you manually keyswitch between them?

Top Bottom