What's new

Berlin Symphonic Strings: First Impressions + Walkthrough! (Orchestral Tools)

ChrisSiuMusic

Hey friends! In today's library walkthrough, let's examine Orchestral Tools' newest offering, BSS. Enjoy!

In my opinion, it boils down to this:
  • The cellos are the standout section of this library. From soaring melodic lines to quick runs, the cellos sound fantastic to my ears.
  • The violas and basses are also great instruments, with expressive performances.
  • The violins are the least passionate and smooth instruments in this library, as compared to other similar libraries do (CSS for example).
  • The articulations included make this library intended for a workhorse use, rather than providing you with every articulation under the sun. If you need more creative articulations, take a look at the original Berlin Strings for that.
  • I would use this library primarily as a layering tool, especially with other like libraries to enhance the sound further.

Kevperry777

Kevin Perry
Thanks for this Chris. Well done and fair thoughts that line up with what a lot of people are hearing. In your walkthrough, legatos in the violins don’t appeal to me- the expressiveness or the legato transition itself.

OP
ChrisSiuMusic

ChrisSiuMusic

Thanks for this Chris. Well done and fair thoughts that line up with what a lot of people are hearing. In your walkthrough, legatos in the violins don’t appeal to me- the expressiveness or the legato transition itself.
Thanks for watching Kevin! Appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

andyhy

Hey friends! In today's library walkthrough, let's examine Orchestral Tools' newest offering, BSS. Enjoy!

In my opinion, it boils down to this:
  • The cellos are the standout section of this library. From soaring melodic lines to quick runs, the cellos sound fantastic to my ears.
  • The violas and basses are also great instruments, with expressive performances.
  • The violins are the least passionate and smooth instruments in this library, as compared to other similar libraries do (CSS for example).
  • The articulations included make this library intended for a workhorse use, rather than providing you with every articulation under the sun. If you need more creative articulations, take a look at the original Berlin Strings for that.
  • I would use this library primarily as a layering tool, especially with other like libraries to enhance the sound further.
Thank you Chris for your as always very informative review. I'm tempted to press the buy button having heard your honest impressions of this library's strengths and weaknesses. I purchased BB and BWW in the recent BF sale but gave BS a miss and based on another review of yours I went instead for CSS. So your observation about layering BSS with CSS may have persuaded me.

Do you mind me asking what keyboard you use? I use the midi output from a Fantom G8 synth which has weighted keys but I wonder sometimes if a different keyboard would enable me to play some samples like the legatos and runs more effectively. What's your view?

OP
ChrisSiuMusic

ChrisSiuMusic

Thank you Chris for your as always very informative review. I'm tempted to press the buy button having heard your honest impressions of this library's strengths and weaknesses. I purchased BB and BWW in the recent BF sale but gave BS a miss and based on another review of yours I went instead for CSS. So your observation about layering BSS with CSS may have persuaded me.

Do you mind me asking what keyboard you use? I use the midi output from a Fantom G8 synth which has weighted keys but I wonder sometimes if a different keyboard would enable me to play some samples like the legatos and runs more effectively. What's your view?
Haha I appreciate it! I use the Arturia Keylab 88. It’s on the heavier side for sure, but as a pianist, I don’t have many issues playing quicker lines.

Hi Chris, thanks for your review!

It also confirms my first listening impression of the Violins. I don't like them at all and they sound very synthetic to me.

Cellos and basses on the other hand sound very good.

BSS will not find its way onto my SSDs, so this review was once again very helpful for me. Thank you!

OP
ChrisSiuMusic

ChrisSiuMusic

Hi Chris, thanks for your review!

It also confirms my first listening impression of the Violins. I don't like them at all and they sound very synthetic to me.

Cellos and basses on the other hand sound very good.

BSS will not find its way onto my SSDs, so this review was once again very helpful for me. Thank you!
You're welcome Andy! Thanks for watching.

Top Bottom