Berlin Strings v Afflatus

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Soundhound, Nov 25, 2018.

1. vegetadbz

vegetadbz Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Nonsense trolling comment.

2. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Haha. Sure. One could argue you're the troll. Let's review the evidence.

1) You don't own Afflatus.
    2) You've written exhaustive posts above explaining how Afflatus can't possibly do the Hollywood Sound yet without owning it to try it out.
    3) You base all your assumptions off the demos which hardly demonstrate every single type of genre possible.
    3) When someone challenges the assertions you've made, you shove it off as if they are trolling.

Here's the facts about Afflatus. It's a sample library designed to express different styles of emotion that aren't found in other libraries. Therefore it can be viewed as a niche tool. It's not designed to be the basic palette of strings samples to do 80-90% of basic scoring work. It's meant to fill the void and do the work others can't. By that standard, it's very good at what it does.

Can it do "Hollywood?" Yes. I'm using it on a feature right now. The style of music is very much in the vain of John Powell, Williams, (ie; Big Hollywood sound). Among the list of libraries I'm using, Afflatus is among them. The production likes the sound. It's most certainly capable of doing "Hollywood."

I think, at the end of the day, you should step back and realize that any library can fit into any style. What matters is how the composer uses them to successfully sequence their music. Also, it's best not to harshly criticize what you yourself have not been able to test out first hand. Making bold claims about what something can and cannot do effectively without attempting to do it yourself is simply a series of statements made in ignorance.

3. vegetadbz

vegetadbz Member

Apr 18, 2018
    1) I don't own "Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard - Now we are free", so I should first buy it, because without buying it my ears are banned to hear its a masterpiece.

2) I wrote: "I don't think Afflatus will work in any way for Hollywood and Trailer types of Music"
    (Not the sound I used to hear in movies.)

3) You're repeating first statement just to count more numbers.

4) After 3 comes 4, which repeats 3, and fact you stated in 1.

Here's the facts about Afflatus. It's a sample library designed to express different styles of emotion that aren't found in other libraries. Therefore it can be viewed as a niche tool. It's not designed to be the basic palette of strings samples to do 80-90% of basic scoring work. It's meant to fill the void and do the work others can't. By that standard, it's very good at what it does.

And tell me now about Berlin, is it complete library?
    Is there a library that is more complete than Berlin Strings?

4. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    First off, don't gas light me. What you actually said and I quoted in my original comment is this..
    "And I did not said library is bad, but library is bad for Hollywood sound, there is a difference. Can not see it in any movie except western movies from 1960s, they kinda had this hissing. Maybe in classical music, but movie, nope."

Secondly, I'm not saying you can totally compare it to Berlin Strings, that was never the assertion I attempted to make or responded to. I don't own Berlin Strings so I can't possibly comment on it in that way. I certainly wouldn't make claims such as yours about any library without first testing it out myself, or at least hearing it used in those contexts. I also didn't make any claims to suggest that Berlin Strings isn't complete or whatever you are trying to imply with your last couple of questions above.

If your opinion is based off of the demos and tutorials, that's fine. But, again, my point was about your outrageous claim. I'm simply flat out telling you that is wrong. Myself, among other professionals are currently using it in Hollywood movies to write Hollywood scores, many of whom live in or near Hollywood. So, to claim it's bad for Hollywood, despite the fact that it's not, is just ignorant on your part. Instead of simply saying, "oh you're right. I was wrong in my wording." You're doubling down. You're doubling down so much now that you are bring up stuff with me that I didn't even talking about such as Berlin Strings.

Lastly, congratulations on catching my typos and using those to somehow discredit my response to you. Very professional, un-troll like, and (hilariously enough) ironic in every aspect of your response. You've won the internet. You are the Hero VI-C needed today.

Cheers,

Chris

Bear Market and MichaelB like this.
  5. Thorsten Meyer

Thorsten Meyer Senior Member

Chris, I find it amazing that vegetadbz always find people who argue with her/him about the passive aggressive comments this individual makes )

6. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    for someone who has the username of an excited 11 year old - chill out. Darris gets paid - you don't.

You are extremely new to music in general, have very little experience with libraries or composing. Picking a fight over 2 sample libraries you don't even own with a guy who is literally a professional is not going to help your growth, and your attitude will close WAY more doors than it will open. I know from personal experience. Plenty of people that are professionals here have used really old and bad sample libraries and still made it - while many new buy the latest and greatest and can't make anything. If you pipe down a little you might actually catch some helpful tips rather than find yourself arguing with no one.

7. Reminds me of a funny quote about playing chess with a pigeon.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    SoNowWhat? likes this.
  8. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    So, okay, I am throwing in some opinions from a guy like me who has both libraries (berlin with expansions) and Afflatus and paid for both also. And I like both of them each because of their own sound and strenghts.

Now, for me Afflatus and Berlin are very different beasts. Berlin is offering more depth in some aspects which has not only to do that they recorded more articulations but also that they have their capsule system and that you can tweak the patches quite a lot regarding attacks, release, rr borrowing and with their quite comprehensive scripting tools which lets you combine things (e.g. sustain morphing to trems morphing to trills) and other combinations as well). I started a while ago with a close friend programming custom performance patches with berlin in order to surpass the developers limited use of standard patches to mockup things like the Romeo and Juliet overture of tschaikowsky and other things. That worked really well.

Afflatus shines with their D´ámore legato and divisi options which I find pretty cool too and the drier room gives a more direct and intimate soujnd. Now I use berlin a lot longer (for around 4 years on a constant base) and therefore I get more out of them because I simply know the library a lot better than Afflatus. I think where Berlin shines is the flexibility with their many articulations that let you create and cover a shitload of "live situations"

When it comes to expressivo molto vibrato berlin is imo the king library on the market, some don´t like their overly expressive vibrato, but I simply love it because it gives me for my style of music I write that strong soaring character which imo is not covered in that fashion by any other library I know so far. Also that they recorded the library pretty neutral is great to give you a lot of options to dial in your own sound imo. Using in addition other custom scripting like detuning can get you at times pretty close to a real string performance.

Berlins Sound is for me very symphonic and can sound also very big and lush. Afflatus is for me more the other way around and can sound therefore more intimate, near and detailed (thinking of their divisi and drier sound).

In a nutshell I would say Berin Strings is for me in the end a more complete library regarding capabilities and articulations. So when I would start out seeking for a very comprehensive library I would definitely buy Berlin right away.

Now there are these expansions from Berlin which gives you even more sound options like the sul tasto legato and sul ponticello and the super soft dynamics (also in the main library) which lets you create with a scripted legato and custom settings really flowing textures in pp dynamics which is really something I can´t get with other libraries. the timbre dynamic range is therefore quite remarkable.

Even the feared double stops are possible in a presentable way when you use combinations of repetition patches combined with loose and normal spicc / Stac) which was a huge challgenge.

However here is short snippet of the overture and I chose always those repertoire works to see how far I can get with a library tackling those very difficult arrangements..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzdpduq8w...ikowsky_Romeo_Juliet (true dynamics).mp3?dl=0

But I love Afflatus too as I said for its own strenghts and sounds and when I have spent more time with it (lets say a couple of years) I might give more feedback on it as well.

SoNowWhat?, JW, OleJoergensen and 5 others like this.
  9. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    holy shit, how do I meet this "friend"

>.>

in-before aaron gets abducted by OT

10. AlexanderSchiborr

May 1, 2014
    I don´t quite understand that comment. What do you want to imply here?

11. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    How does one get ahold of those custom patches? I just took a wild guess that your friend who made them was aaron venture - since he's a wizard of sorts.

12. AlexanderSchiborr

May 1, 2014
    You can´t obtain them simply because they are not commercial and just intended for private use. And no Aaron has nothing to do with them. Aaron is my friend, yes and he is a great guy and knows a lot about scripting for kontakt. But your wild guess is indeed totally of, maybe ..can you probably imagine that I created them still (like I was referring to my initial post saying that I work with a mate together on those things)? If not, I am afraid to tell you, that this can happen when you work like me for years with a sampled orchestra mocking up so many things..If you don´t feel to put any capacity in that regards connected with my person, then hopefully that clears that a bit out. And last but not least: These performance patches won´t create that sound per se, its a lot of more things which are going on which is a way beyond of that patch thing alone.

13. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    Seems like a very well scripted run patch

14. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I do want to point out that Afflatus is a living library, and that updates and new content are in the forseeable future. George has also been great with staying in touch with customers, and trying to implement our ideas and wants into the library. It almost feels like I bought a product from a friend, rather than a commercial entity. It's hard to put a price on something like that in this day and age when new libraries are constantly being pushed out and then forgotten about by developers.

SoNowWhat?, Henning and Saxer like this.
  15. midiman

midiman Active Member

May 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    For all its worth, @Cory Pelizzari and @The Darris are two of my favorite sample library reviewers. It was after listening to their reviews of Afflatus that I changed my mind about Afflatus and bought Afflatus. And boy, it was the best single purchase of 2018. It is one of my all-time favorite libraries - not just favorite string library, but a favorite music tool. It is a creative tool, that is truly inspiring.
    I must admit I was at first taken by the price of Afflatus when it was announced, but after buying it and playing with it my thoughts were reversed and I thought it was worth every penny and actually more.

The library IMO really captures "The Hollywood Sound", both past and modern. It is just so musical and inspiring to work with. Not only the concepts behind the library are brilliant, but the results of what was recorded and then programmed into kontakt patches are mind blowing for me. The polyphonic legato is a landmark in string sampling, and such a joy to work with. They really really nailed the polyphonic legato. How I wish other companies featured Strezov's Polyphonic legato...

The Minimalist patch can do the coveted modern "Thomas Newman String Sound" like no other library on the market IMO. The legato of the Minimalist Patch has brought many smiles to my face. And with very little programming these strings sound amazing.

Afflatus is usually the first library I go to when working on a cue, so even though technically it might not be a bread and butter library, it has functioned often like a bread and butter library for me, as I get so many cues done with it as the base and glue of the whole cue.
    I would strongly recommend the critics and trolls of the library to actually try it because I believe they would feel very differently about it once they did.

I don't think I have yet heard anybody who owns the library talk crap about it.

The moment Strezov announces Afflatus Strings Vol.2 (which I hope and believe they will) I will be running to hit the buy button on the intro pricing.