What's new

Berlin Harp vs Symphonic Sphere harp?

RandomComposer

Wondering how the Berlin harp compares with the harp from OT's Symphonic Sphere?
The symphonic sphere harp has enough articulations for what I need, so I'm more interested in the sound and how deeply sampled the sustains are. If they're close enough in that regard, I'll just go for Symphonic Sphere since it comes with a lot of other goodies.

I’ve bought the harps library since writing this post, mainly because I didn’t really need the other things from sphere, but I can’t give a comparison since I don’t own sphere.

Last edited:
I don't own the Berlin harps but I have a few others (EWQLSO, VSL, Cinesample and Spitfire) and the Sphere harp is the one I use the most. No frills but lovely sound, very playable, excellent interface and sounds great when EQ'd and verb'd to make it sound part of the orchestra. I'd quite happily buy it on its own. The Spitfire harp is more comprehensive and deeper but I mostly end up using Sphere.

Their new harps are obviously going to be a step up in terms of what they offer but that doesn't take away the beauty they captured with Sphere. I think it's only 4 velocity layers so not super deep but it's very smooth across the dynamics. If you're just after a basic, great sounding harp it's perfect.

Big bonus: Sphere has a lot of excellent content, stuff I wouldn't want to be without.

I don't own the Berlin harps but I have a few others (EWQLSO, VSL, Cinesample and Spitfire) and the Sphere harp is the one I use the most. No frills but lovely sound, very playable, excellent interface and sounds great when EQ'd and verb'd to make it sound part of the orchestra. I'd quite happily buy it on its own. The Spitfire harp is more comprehensive and deeper but I mostly end up using Sphere.

Their new harps are obviously going to be a step up in terms of what they offer but that doesn't take away the beauty they captured with Sphere. I think it's only 4 velocity layers so not super deep but it's very smooth across the dynamics. If you're just after a basic, great sounding harp it's perfect.

Big bonus: Sphere has a lot of excellent content, stuff I wouldn't want to be without.

Same with me - I have a lot of harps but I use the Sphere Harp most as it has a wonderful sound! Very often in my opinion, it is not so much about the pure number of vel layers and RRs, but about the recording situation, the player, the recorded instrument or whatever:D

The Spheres Harp is perfectly fine. You just have to know, it is not recorded in Teldex, therefore the mic positions are different and not anywhere as reverberant on Tree as with the Berlin Harp. Mixing the Spheres Harp with Berlin Orchestra, you have to add reverb.

Same with me - I have a lot of harps but I use the Sphere Harp most as it has a wonderful sound! Very often in my opinion, it is not so much about the pure number of vel layers and RRs, but about the recording situation, the player, the recorded instrument or whatever:D

Definitely. Cinepiano is a very good example of an instrument with very few velocity layers but has been captured and programmed so well that it plays and sounds better than some libraries with many more layers. Same with the Art Vista Supergrand I bought the other day. Nail the sound and make the most of the content.

Definitely. Cinepiano is a very good example of an instrument with very few velocity layers but has been captured and programmed so well that it plays and sounds better than some libraries with many more layers. Same with the Art Vista Supergrand I bought the other day. Nail the sound and make the most of the content.

Funny, I own CinePiano as well and I'm loving it! :)

Chocolate audio's new glissandi harps are great. Very detailed sound and many mixing options. Also, they emulate the harp's pedaling, so you can think as a harpist and make very creative tunings with ease.

Chocolate audio's new glissandi harps are great. Very detailed sound and many mixing options. Also, they emulate the harp's pedaling, so you can think as a harpist and make very creative tunings with ease.

Sounds interesting! The harp's pedaling is possible with Sphere Harp, too. Does the Chocolate harp offer recorded glissandos?

I've been using sphere for a long time, but symphonic harps is a whole other level. Sphere is really nice but has a lot of hiss in quiet passages. The newer one is simply amazing in all levels.

Sounds interesting! The harp's pedaling is possible with Sphere Harp, too. Does the Chocolate harp offer recorded glissandos?
No, they have a system which you can create your own glissandos by pressing 2 notes. Using this in combination with the harp tuning you can achieve whatever glissando you want.

Top Bottom