What's new

Behringer CS-80!

Yes it was the case. The effects in DM12 are TC Electronics and Klark Teknik. They are great effects. The Manchester team which did both those synths are Midas engineers, they know analog design very very well.

Behringer's Model D is spot on sound-wise to the original.

This is bullshit, sorry. There are constant new uses for Minimoog found all over modern music, in many different ways. There's no need for any "burials".

When things sound great, they sound great. This will be the case regardless of genre, or how old a particular piece of gear is.

Bull shit, you mean my opinion isn’t agreeable to you? No problemos.
I own the original, and many other synths too.
Do I grab them onto the stage? Only if the difference is so noticeable I have to use the original, but I don’t. They sound good, but nothing like my hardware does.
Genre and age has nothing to do with it.
It’s very easy for me, run it through my RCF Arrays IEMs and Stage Monitors.
I hear it immediately, it’s smaller, less presence, can’t tell on a YTube video but it doesn’t really matter right?

I use Roland D50, ZebraHZ and SE-02 Boutiques because they sound great, and I leave 16U ATAs of the D550, Code8, and 2 x SE-1Xs at home.
The new little units sound great, but they’re not 1:1, my point being they don’t need to be.

What they miss in original ballsy tones can be overlooked, especially if there’s new features, but to stop at “authentic replication” when they could expand would limit the advantages to cost and size only, because the sound isn’t the same.

In 20 more years nobody will know the difference and live bands will be pretty boy playboy bunny holograms with recordings, so my words which don’t matter now, will be mere google archives by then.

No sense insulting each other over opinions, I’ve been playing these beasts for 30+ years, my experience isn’t limited to I played one at Thomanns, or @ Musikmesse. I play them nightly, and yes I use new smaller cheaper units, doesn’t mean I convinced myself they sound the same.

For that matter my Solaris Synth is a digital DSP Based emulation of many forms of synthesis, it’s got certain strengths that blow away the Oberheim OBX Strings which were heralded to be the best for years, and they were. Solaris isn’t analog, it’s ones and zeros but it’s 4 Oscillators, specifically the multi waves Jaws Osc’s are huge. They trounce my beloved ZebraHZ. Yet I use ZebraHZ knowing the OBX or Solaris is the preferable sound.

My hypocrisy can only go so far though, the umpire in me will not allow marketing or hopes of popular nods of approval to tell my ears they’re full of shit.
When we have stagehands or use a crew it’s fun to remind myself of the powerful beasts, but I’m quite content with the little versions, and I’m sure you are too.
Let me know how the DS80 sounds when you BETA Test it. Hope it’s better than Deckards “1:1.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom