What's new

Behold the lord of usb hubs

That looks nice.

I'm using 3 hubs atm, the most versatile is a Wavlink 7 port usb type-C hub... currently running it with 2 HDs but i think I could put more if I wanted... since it's USB-C don't even need external power. but I use a good PSU in my pc

dirty cheap too, like $20-30 in the US perhaps

CameraRoll_33.jpg

^ This one just took a big crap. My MIDI interface stopped working and I was confused because some of the USB ports work. Sort of.

The one I just ordered looks convenient, so we'll see:

Amazon product ASIN B08PF24J5H
I never took USB hubs seriously, because they just sort of sit there and work - until, in this case, they don't.

i think I've just about everything out there Nick. Including a few of those iDsonix's. There all crap. lol. I've had crashes due to crap hubs. i'd really like to see someone make something reliable for power users. (well....for everyone really!)

The only hub that worked for me reliably so far is the Elektron Overhub. I’ve a couple of them and all my disconnection issues are gone since!

@charlieclouser
Is the swissonic still holding up?

CameraRoll_33.jpg

^ This one just took a big crap. My MIDI interface stopped working and I was confused because some of the USB ports work. Sort of.

The one I just ordered looks convenient, so we'll see:

Amazon product ASIN B08PF24J5H
I never took USB hubs seriously, because they just sort of sit there and work - until, in this case, they don't.
I have one like the white one you are getting and it has been working well. Of course, I'm not full time using it, but my computer is on a lot.

Edit: I don't think it is a dysonic though. I swear they put a bunch of different names on them and see what sells.

I have one like the white one you are getting and it has been working well. Of course, I'm not full time using it, but my computer is on a lot.

Edit: I don't think it is a dysonic though. I swear they put a bunch of different names on them and see what sells.
It's actually silver - aluminum to match the Mac that's on the other side of a wall. :)

And it just got here, so I'll see how well it fares. If it's like the one that failed, it'll be fine for a couple of years until it isn't.

The only hub that worked for me reliably so far is the Elektron Overhub. I’ve a couple of them and all my disconnection issues are gone since!

@charlieclouser
Is the swissonic still holding up?
Yes, the Swissonic is working fine so far. It's on my main Logic machine, a Mac Pro cylinder. I've also gotten a couple of Vantec metal brick-style 13-port hubs from Amazon that were easier to mount in the tight space on the back of my desk, and these have been fine as well.

I've been using this Sabrent powered USB3 hub for 2 years now.

No complaints at all. Sits under my desk and hasn't failed once.

I'm not saying I expect yours to fail, and of course I hope it doesn't.

But a few days ago I would have posted the same thing about the one I just replaced - because it did fail once. :)

In case folks are curious, there are a number of limits to USB that are not commonly "advertised".

The spec limits the number of "tiers" to 7 - and tiers is basically hubs. There computer represents one (or more) tiers. The end point also represents a tier. So it is more than good idea to limit the number of hubs to five. I'd kinda the law!

Which makes a big multi-port hub seem like a no-brainer. And it can be, but it depends on the chip sets used. If they had to create multiple tiers to provide all those ports you could get in trouble.

The other consideration is power budget. Sadly I do not remember the specifics, since so far I've yet to be bitten by power problems. But I have been bitten several times by that number of tiers rule<G>.

The PSU you switched has something called a center tap, so you are essentially using half of the running wire in the transformer. Since you have half the available wire at half the voltage, it evens out.
How old is your old man? ;)
Its a switching transformer, there is no old school "iron core" transformer in there.
Which means there is no center tap or half wire... hell even center tap transformers are considered old school in transformer design.
I'm no engineer, but one of my loves is building and designing tube/valve amps... old school style :grin:

You do not want to double the amps, otherwise you may fry it in the event of abnormal operation because the fuse won't act.
Actually for max operation the fuse should be able to handle double the current since we've halved the voltage. still, there is no harm in using the installed fuse as I don't see how in average use all 16 ports will draw full power in the same time.

Worst case, fuse will blow and can be replaced for a higher amp one, no physical harm will happen, but who wants that in the middle of a session?
Personally? I'd email Swissonic.

Weird necro of this thread, but anyone have any issues with noise on any of the recommended hubs here? I usually run pretty lean, but just added a Monogram CC to my gear list. Grabbed an old Amazon Basics USB hub I had (7-ports, powered) and my iMac Pro just makes the most awful high pitched noise when it is plugged in and powered on.

Weird necro of this thread, but anyone have any issues with noise on any of the recommended hubs here? I usually run pretty lean, but just added a Monogram CC to my gear list. Grabbed an old Amazon Basics USB hub I had (7-ports, powered) and my iMac Pro just makes the most awful high pitched noise when it is plugged in and powered on.
I'm on Windows and never have had a problem. But I also don't normally run the midi controllers through the hub.

Top Bottom