Behind the Curtain of HZ and JNH's 'The Dark Knight'

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by ashtongleckman, Nov 9, 2018.

1. ashtongleckman

ashtongleckman Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hi guys!

I want to share my new video that I made discussing Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard's 'The Dark Knight' score. In the video, we discuss the various themes, creative elements, collaborators, and the project timeline. I also breakdown my suite featuring portions of 10 cues from the film.

Had lots of fun with this one, and hope you guys enjoy!
    Free download for Cubase session, MIDI file, and stems: https://bit.ly/2yWplmW

Cheers,
    Ashton

Iskra, wbacer, patrick76 and 6 others like this.
  2. fish_hoof

fish_hoof Active Member

ashtongleckman and patrick76 like this.
  3. patrick76

patrick76 Senior Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Yes, totally agree. Really appreciate your work and enthusiasm.

ashtongleckman likes this.
  4. DynamicK

DynamicK Senior Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Gloucestershire
    Thanks Ashton...another useful insight.

5. Nmargiotta

Nmargiotta Composer TV and Advertisement

Jan 20, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Fantastic job Ashton, I shared this with a director I work with often and he really enjoyed it although he said the daw stuff was over his head. :laugh:
    He had a question I thought id ask you, RE the cue sheet: "what do the reference columns mean? cant figure out what 1M7 or 6M56-57a means"

I figured it may have tied to the film reels but the film runtime would put it at 10 reels or so not 7. Just curious.

Keep up the great work.
    I loved every minute of it. The detail and way you tie in the production timeline and details from Hans and Nolans working relationship is fantastic as well.

6. ryanstrong

ryanstrong Senior Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Well done! Always enjoy watching these.

7. OP
    OP
    ashtongleckman

ashtongleckman Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for watching! Those are the cue numbers. For "7M27" that would mean the 7th reel, 27th cue. Cue numbers don't reset each reel, so for example you might go 6M20, to 7M21. There's also other things such as cues split in two sections "4M15A," or additional versions "4M16ALT1."

8. Nmargiotta

Nmargiotta Composer TV and Advertisement

Jan 20, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Hey Ashton thank you! I figured thats what it was. I appreciate it. Im excited for your next video.