What's new

BBO Neptune & Orion: Woodwinds Tutti and Sections

The dynamic CC1, only makes it a bit louder
Velocity crossfade does more then jsut a little bit loader: The tone/color of the instrument changes.

And yes, they work well, I have created a mockup where I used these :)

Velocity crossfade does more then jsut a little bit loader: The tone/color of the instrument changes.

And yes, they work well, I have created a mockup where I used these :)
Okay...so what I've gathered after some experimenting.

Still not sure why the Main Room mix is added into the other mic positions...seems like it should stand on it's own. So with this muted, I created a really nice blend that seems to work for my taste...I do love how you left the open "bleed" mics for the other instruments in Orion...wish all libraries had this option. Really nice addition for control.

I tried blending it with another wind library I have using solo instruments as harmony on top of Origin...sounds excellent! Might need to pick this one up.

I just bought both of these a minute ago, after noticing that there is flexibility in the section balance if one scrolls to the far right to access the section mics. I was concerned previously about baked-in balances that might not work in some cases or when layering solo instruments atop these sections.

I actually think these sound the best of any of the section-oriented add-on packs so far, but that's not terribly surprising as I have always considered the woodwinds the forte of VSL, followed by the strings.

The other reason I hesitated so long on these add-on packs, is that I wasn't sure about the primary-instrument-in-threes approach, but as I thought over it some more and recalled typical orchestration practices, I realized that the intra-family range typically gets narrowed during ensemble casting.

One should never doubt for a minute that VSL haven't thought everything through in minute detail ahead of time, based on real-world experience and deep knowledge of orchestration and performance practices around the world and through the decades. :)

@Ben, I think it's not totally clear to me: what's the real difference between Bold and Agile shorts? I've currently categorized them as, respectively, Staccato and Staccatissimo/Spiccato, but I’m not sure this correctly describes them.

Paolo

I am still a bit perplexed with the "main/room" mic mix. Because as default, this is on as wells the other mics...so is that not redundant info? If the main/room mic mix IS the mix of microphones, then why double the mics? Do I have this wrong?

The room-mic, as the name says, is a mix of the room mics without close-/spot- mics, but including also the mics form the Full library (in the Synchron Series).
This allows to create more resource friendlier presets.

The room-mic, as the name says, is a mix of the room mics without close-/spot- mics, but including also the mics form the Full library (in the Synchron Series).
This allows to create more resource friendlier presets.
Oh I see. So that’s why the main mic has spot mics and mid mics on. Got it now. Thanks. Is there anything the main mix has that can’t be recreated with the individual?

@ Ben

I'm sorry if it was explained before, but all the BBO libraries have the mention "Starter Edition"... What does it mean? More articulations and performances will be added at a later date?

For the other VSL libraries, it is clear: you have "Standard' and "Full" editions. But the BBO libraries seem to already have all the mic positions in the "Starter Edition".

Last edited:
all the BBO libraries have the mention "Starter Edition"... What does it mean?
I think it's a labeling-mistake on the website. I'll look into this.

For the other VSL libraries, it is clear: you have "Standard' and "Full" editions. But the BBO libraries seem to already have all the mic positions in the "Starter Edition".
Yes. The all libraries of the BBO-Series have all mics included. It's a series on its own with only "Standard" libraries.

I think it's a labeling-mistake on the website. I'll look into this.

I wondered about this as well. Shouldn't BBO be sorted under "Synchron libraries"? The individual packs by themselves are affordable, but what they get you is definitely far beyond a "starter pack".

@Ben When are Neptune and Orion intro sales over?

I'm keen on checking out the new BBO percussion libs and these together, especially now I've noticed there are downloadable demos for the woods. But I don't know how much time I have to review the demos.

~in a week or so. But don't take this as promise. I don't know the exact date it will end. If you are interested make sure to check it out now and get it asap! :)
Awesome, thanks! I just wanted to make sure I had time over the weekend, and sounds like I do. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom