What's new

BBO Neptune & Orion: Woodwinds Tutti and Sections

Neptune can definitly do that and more. And it sounds not over the top if you play chords with it.
Thanks. I’m pretty sure I’m sold. I’ve always loved VSL’s woodwinds. Just hope to eventually hear some demos or videos of just Neptune.

Easy to blend with BBO: Neptune, thanks to optional section spot-mics (bleeding)
I’m not sure I fully understand this passage. Does it mean that the mics of sections not playing, in Orion, can be left open, so that a ghost of their sound is reverberated in those spots?

Or is it happening in Neptune, where you can turn off a spot mic, but the ghost of the section not playing is in the other spot mics, and the addition of a section from Orion seems to reverberate in those mics in Neptune?

Paolo

I’m not sure I fully understand this passage. Does it mean that the mics of sections not playing, in Orion, can be left open, so that a ghost of their sound is reverberated in those spots?
The spot mics of the other sections were left open during recording. So you will get the speak-over effect like you would get in the spot mics when these instruments were playing at the same time.

For example Flutes (image from https://www.vsl.info/en/instruments/bbo/bbo-o):
1596563155764.png

When playing only the flutes and turing on the spot mics, you can hear the speak over signal of the flutes in the oboes, bassoons and clarinets mics.

Orion sounds wonderful, but now I am even more confused as to why the strings packs are not in sections. Is there a proper VSL string sections library that would blend especially well with the BBO brass and woods?

Orion sounds wonderful, but now I am even more confused as to why the strings packs are not in sections. Is there a proper VSL string sections library that would blend especially well with the BBO brass and woods?

Guy Bacos' BBO demos (including those for Orion) frequently use Synchron Strings I, they seem to work great together IMO.

Guy Bacos' BBO demos (including those for Orion) frequently use Synchron Strings I, they seem to work great together IMO.
I feel like VSL's product design can be overly concerned with avoiding cannibalising sales of existing products, which makes sense in a way for them but also leads to a very confusing and incoherent menu of options for the potential customer. (I do have great respect for them since acquiring a couple of their fabulous pianos.)

Thanks Ben. Any plans for the summer sale of Synchron-ized WWs? I'm eager to get them but am afraid they might get on sale right after I buy them at a full price. :))

I could imagine you could hand make the same "universal woodwind" patch with Orion, only thing you would miss the English Horn, Bass Clarinet and Contrabasson if I am right...
I wonder how English Horn and Contrabassoon patches taken from Synchronized SE would work, in a composite preset with the Orion patches. Would the Synchronized IR be available for those patches alone?

Paolo

Thanks Ben. Any plans for the summer sale of Synchron-ized WWs? I'm eager to get them but am afraid they might get on sale right after I buy them at a full price. :))

The SYNCHRONized Special Editions are currently on sale. Volume 1 includes a selection of woodwinds. Check it out here, there is also a 30 day demo!

I wonder how English Horn and Contrabassoon patches taken from Synchronized SE would work, in a composite preset with the Orion patches. Would the Synchronized IR be available for those patches alone?

Paolo
@Ben could answer precisely this question! I don't own the Orion, but I have thought as fine as you can handle the patches individually in Synchron Player you could make your own "universal tutti woodwind" patch out of Orion, so like I've made a "tutti patch" out of Hercules, Jupiter and Kopernikus.

Paolo

So the SYNCHRONized SE Vol. 1 has individual patches and individual IRs cover the placement of the Woodwinds, they just share a common highlighted placement in the image. Horns and other sections have their specialized SYNCHRON Stage IR Placements as well.

SYNCHRON Player 1.png

Last edited:
So the SYNCHRONized SE Vol. 1 has individual patches and ONE IR covers the placement of the Woodwinds. Horns and other sections have their specialized SYNCHRON Stage IR Placement.

SYNCHRON Player 1.png
Not quite right. (almost) Each instrument has its own IR; but they share the same preview image per section :)

The second half of the walkthrough by Guy Bacos has some examples of Neptune alone. It can be compared to the same passages played by Orion.

Paolo
Thanks I looked for other videos. They weren’t up yet. From what I gather Neptune is more of a sketching tool. At least that’s how it’s used in his video.

From what I gather Neptune is more of a sketching tool. At least that’s how it’s used in his video.
It is for sure faster when sketching. In the piece by Alberghini, however, it is sometimes used for impact. Guy Bacos uses it for 'more bite'.

I'll be however very much curious to see how the combined Orion patch we were discussing here above can work. But, as noted, it would lack English Horn, Bass Clarinet and Contrabassooon.

Paolo

Last edited:
Top Bottom