What's new

BBO Neptune & Orion: Woodwinds Tutti and Sections

Ben

VSL

Hi everyone!

So we start this month by releasing Big Bang Orchestra: Neptune & Orion, Tutti Woodwinds and Woodwinds Sections.

• BBO: Neptune - an ensemble of 13 players, playing in unisono and in octaves - like Andromeda with or without piccolo :)
    • 1 Piccolo, 3 Flutes, 2 Oboes, 1 English Horn, 2 Clarinets in Bb, 1 Bass Clarinet, 2 Bassoons, 1 Contrabassoon
    • Perfectly balanced with multiple mic positions
    • Similar articulations to other BBOs: shorts (bold and agile - optimized for runs and ostinatos), sustains (normal, marcato, espressivo), Sforzanto, Sforzatissimo, swells short/long/soft, flutter tonguing, half and whole tone trills, fast repetitions
  • BBO: Orion- four separat woodwind sections - 3 Flutes, 3 Oboes, 3 Clarinets in Bb, 3 Bassoons
    • Similar articulations as Neptune + real legatos
    • Easy to blend with BBO: Neptune, thanks to optional section spot-mics (bleeding)
At this point there are almost no limits what can be done with the Big Bang Orchestra series - and as usual you don't only get the "Big Bang" sound, but also the softer sides of the universe as well!

Audio demos available here.

Let us know what you think about these installments and stay tuned for more to come!

Last edited:
Last edited:
The seperat sections have true legato articulations, and it's a 4in1, so there is a fair reason that it's a little bit more expensive.
Still, very much affordable for the included content and the beautiful sound!

Walkthrough and more demos are in work :)

I'm a hobbyist with a reasonable but limited budget. I try to take an objective and structured approach to my purchases while still letting my creativity and enthusiasm have their say. I try to avoid having reason to post in the " wish I hadn't bought" threads.

The VSL 30 day demo that overlaps the BBO introductory price is working well for me. After getting the 30 day demos my first purchases in BBO were H,J,K and L,M and now will consider N,O. Splitting out the sections allows more nuances.

I like the structured, informative and not overly hyped process. It gives me time to soak up the walkthrus and reviews and then take the test drive.

Last edited:
The 30 day demo is fantastic! Having that time to evaluate a product is a rare and valuable offering.
It does have one serious flaw though, the demo usually becomes permanent :whistling:

I was lucky to get a demo of Synchron Strings I which is a beautiful and unbelievably underrated instrument. I'm dreading the demo expiry.

VSL_Instrument_Poster_20200731_1000x1416.jpg

Some of you may remember the classic instrument range poster we sold many years ago.
So we thought we'd update it and give it away for free as download as well as some wallpaper versions of it.

You can download these here: https://www.vsl.co.at/de/News/2020-08_Freebies
(make sure to click the small download button beneath the right bottom corner for the high-res version).

Enjoy!
Fantastic! I love the educational side of VSL!

I’ll be honest. I don’t completely understands what these two libraries are, or what separates them from other offerings in the VSL lineup. Can someone explain it a bit more, like I’m a six year old?
Ive been looking for a decent “all in one” library where I could essentially play all of the woodwinds across the keyboard in one patch. Is that this?

Thanks! And then Orion is more detailed, broken into sections? Will Neptune have an abnormal amount of 'players' if I'm playing chords though?
  • BBO: Neptune- an ensemble of 13 players, playing in unisono and in octaves - like Andromeda with or without piccolo :)
    • 1 Piccolo, 3 Flutes, 2 Oboes, 1 English Horn, 2 Clarinets in Bb, 1 Bass Clarinet, 2 Bassoons, 1 Contrabassoon
    • Similar articulations to other BBOs: shorts (bold and agile - optimized for runs and ostinatos), sustains (normal, marcato, espressivo), Sforzanto, Sforzatissimo, swells short/long/soft, flutter tonguing, half and whole tone trills, fast repetitions
  • BBO: Orion- four separat woodwind sections - 3 Flutes, 3 Oboes, 3 Clarinets in Bb, 3 Bassoons
    • Same articulations as Neptune + real legatos
    • Easy to blend with BBO: Neptune, thanks to optional section spot-mics (bleeding)

• BBO: Neptune-
Thanks, I guess it was this part that I missed. I guess I'm just looking for something closer to a one patch woodwind chorale type thing, plus staccatos. More for layering behind strings/brass in an already balanced fashion. I guess Neptune might be it.

Thanks, I guess it was this part that I missed. I guess I'm just looking for something closer to a one patch woodwind chorale type thing, plus staccatos. More for layering behind strings/brass in an already balanced fashion. I guess Neptune might be it.
I could imagine you could hand make the same "universal woodwind" patch with Orion, only thing you would miss the English Horn, Bass Clarinet and Contrabasson if I am right...

Neptune can definitly do that and more. And it sounds not over the top if you play chords with it.

Top Bottom