What's new

BBO: L & M goes strings!

Actually what I found funny was the idea of a customer buying an instrument, find it not satisfying, ask and get a refund, then buy it a second time, ask again for a refund... sounds like a joke

Well, if they bought synchron strings when it was released for example, VSL have made numerous updates to the product since its launch; many users saying they fixed most of their issues with the original release. So I could see someone repurchasing, only to feel the fixes were not enough And wanting another refund. Or maybe they had a project they started and needed to rebuy the library to finish ;)

You are right - I changed to a midi controller which offered more flexibility of velocity curve settings which seemed to work better for VSL pianos so I was keen to try again, and hence bought again "to try again", wasn't convinced. VSL NEVER gets on to any of my projects. Not even one project. I buy VSL for fun and personal entertainment and even that's history now.

You kind of sound like the type of person who should move on, but finds an unhealthy enjoyment in not doing so. Especially when they have audience.

But it's your problem... made the wrong purchase, seller was kind enough to give your money back, you should be grateful, not complaining.

Last edited:
Very much moved on. My attorneys are all over it now :)

As you just use these for fun, seems a lot of investment in both time and money to me. When I don’t have fun doing something, I don’t pay to do it again hoping it’ll be fun the second time.

Very much moved on. My attorneys are all over it now :)

I hope very much that you are just shouting your mouth off here, because if you actually have a set of 'attorneys' who think its a good idea for you to rack up legal costs trying to bring a case against a company in a foreign country over a piddling amount of money like this.....

Well - then those 'attorneys' are seriously not acting in your best interests.

Last edited:
I did the favor of deleting, this is a waste of time anyway and I'm done with VSL forever, except for recovery of my money which is being taken care of

I’ve been really impressed with what vsl have been producing lately, especially the BBO series, and really look forward to demoing the strings! Thank you for being the only company I know to offer demos, and even a return policy!! Other developers should take note, as i thought I had enough brass until I demoed the BBO offerings heard the clarity and depth of these new samples and was sold! Well done VSL!

I’ve been really impressed with what vsl have been producing lately, especially the BBO series, and really look forward to demoing the strings! Thank you for being the only company I know to offer demos, and even a return policy!! Other developers should take note, as i thought I had enough brass until I demoed the BBO offerings heard the clarity and depth of these new samples and was sold! Well done VSL!
Realize it’s probably because their prices are so high. OT Berlin Percussion + Berlin Timpani is around $690 ($420 when on sale or bought with other Berlin instruments), VSL Perc I & II is briefly $916 (and that’s the deep discount intro sale price for only the standard libraries as it’s normally $1,457 for the standard libraries and while both full libraries are currently at $1,724 they normally go for $2,707!!!), CinePerc is often $350 onsale ($699), and Spitfire JB Percussion is often $240 onsale sometimes much lower in a collection ($399).

Bear in mind, VSL does not include marimba, claves, mark tree, bell tree, more than one snare drum, bongos, congas, waterphone, timbales, cowbells, or any ethnic drums other than taikos, and no double stroke rolls.

Now, IMHO I do feel like the VSL taikos are phenomenal (best ever) and the bass drums, toms, mallets, bells, cymbals, gongs, and timpani are all excellent. But that’s a lot of money for so many missing standard nuts and bolts traditional percussion instruments, which I’m assuming get released in a Synchron Perc III or a Synchron World Ethnic Percussion for even more money.

I very much like the Synchron Player but I prefer Spitfire’s UACC implementation inside Kontakt since I don’t like using keyswitches and wish that the UACC popup menu list was included in the new Spitfire Player apps so I could program them more easily and quickly.

I own VSL Perc I & II standard, CinePerc, and Spitfire JB Percussion, which are all good. IMHO I don’t think anyone needs more than one of these percussion libraries. I will be using all of them to get different flavors and tones but that’s a luxury and can’t figure out yet which will be my go to Perc library in most cases. IMHO Air Lyndhurst has the best room tone followed by the soundstage at Sony then farther down the list the sound of the Teldex stage. Although I’m sadly not really a fan of the sound of the Synchron stage the Synchron Percussions do sound excellent.

As far as value goes it’s hard to figure out if the new Synchron Percussions are worth so much more money 💰 than their competitors.

I don’t regret buying them at all as they are very good, but as much as I can understand why VSL feels it deserves some kind of a premium, the only ones who can truly afford them are the top A-list composers who get all their VI libraries for free by giving VSL and other developers a brief one sentence endorsement. Too many composers make little to no money, so these super wealthy A-list composers who deeply rely on these VI libraries are the ones who should be paying far more than the list price of these libraries as all of us are subsidizing their business. Because so many composers who barely make a living buy these libraries the developers can offer them at sort of attainable prices for the masses but that means super wealthy composers either don’t have to pay that much to buy & use these libraries or again they get them for free and pay nothing.

This is the rich get richer at play, an unfortunate reality of life. What if the wealthiest composers paid a usage fee based on the budget of the film ie. $100 million production budget means they pay each developer $10,000. There are probably making $1-3 million in creative fees just to do that film so $50,000 in usage fees to 5 VI developers (ie. VSL, Spitfire, OT, Cinesamples, CSS) would result in lower prices for the rest of us. This will never happen, but fair is fair!

This is the rich get richer at play, an unfortunate reality of life. What if the wealthiest composers paid a usage fee based on the budget of the film ie. $100 million production budget means they pay each developer $10,000. There are probably making $1-3 million in creative fees just to do that film so $50,000 in usage fees to 5 VI developers (ie. VSL, Spitfire, OT, Cinesamples, CSS) would result in lower prices for the rest of us. This will never happen, but fair is fair!
This makes no sense...the majority of mock ups/VI libraries for film especially get replaced by live players. Sometimes the VIs get layered in with the live performance, but look at the Black Panther score...all live percussion.

And I know many A-list composers that pay for all their libraries...only a select few may get free libraries as promotion, but certainly not all of them, and there a lot. So maybe 1-2 top composers get free libraries...not a call for concern. And on top of that, a lot of the top composers also have their own bespoke libraries from projects they've done...Junkie XL comes to mind.

Have you really installed them or only downloaded them?
And after activation on the eLicenser restarted the host?

If you quit the host, click on the activation link in the email and follow the procedure, you should be guided step by step through the process. Just make sure that you actually install the libraries if you have disabled the "auto-install" check-box in the download manager.

Last edited:
Have you really installed them or onlyu downloaded them?
And after activation on the eLicenser restarted the host?

If you quit the host, click on the activation link in the email and follow the procedure, you should be guided step by step through the process. Just make sure that you actually install the libraries if you have disabled the "auto-install" check-box in the download manager.
after I downloaded, I hit the install on both. Then licenser and pasted in codes to authorize...asked to start trial period. But now I see that there are no samples in my VSL folder at all after I hit the install...I'm gonna try it again. Something is awry.

Percussion is usually all samples, even in top HW scores. But there are of course some exceptions.

VSL has the advantage that only them have release-sample technology, the built-on time stretching can do things other libraries can't.

Top Bottom