What's new

BBCSO Ensemble patches in Logic

mybadmemory

Senior Member
I just made 6 ensemble patches (longs and shorts X strings, winds, and brass) for BBCSO in Logic. I simply grouped the main instruments of each section together using summing stacks, and deleted all articulations other than longs/shorts, and also made those into separate patches for even quicker access.

It sounds amazing! So much better than I expected. I finally feel like the last missing piece of BBCSO (quick full scale playing and sketching) just landed in my template.

For strings and brass I used the section patches, and for winds I used the solo instruments.

Is anyone else using custom ensemble patches with BBCSO?
 

eakwarren

Hobbyist Composer
@mybadmemory I did the same thing, although I used the a3 patches for a bigger sound in the winds stack. I also set them up with CC-based UACC key switches, and tried to match reverb to Albion ONE. I’m excited to get everything dialed in tight with the BBCSO: Core sample delay settings in this post.

@mussnig I don’t think volume adjustment is necessary, since no instruments overlap like on ensemble hi and low patches. BBCSO doesn’t have ensemble patches. We’re talking about making an “ensemble track stack” based on longs and shorts.
 

packhorse

Member
I just made 6 ensemble patches (longs and shorts X strings, winds, and brass) for BBCSO in Logic. I simply grouped the main instruments of each section together using summing stacks, and deleted all articulations other than longs/shorts, and also made those into separate patches for even quicker access.

It sounds amazing! So much better than I expected. I finally feel like the last missing piece of BBCSO (quick full scale playing and sketching) just landed in my template.

For strings and brass I used the section patches, and for winds I used the solo instruments.

Is anyone else using custom ensemble patches with BBCSO?
I want to be able to do this with my BBC SO Core in Reaper?
 

mussnig

Senior Member
@mybadmemory I did the same thing, although I used the a3 patches for a bigger sound in the winds stack. I also set them up with CC-based UACC key switches, and tried to match reverb to Albion ONE. I’m excited to get everything dialed in tight with the BBCSO: Core sample delay settings in this post.

@mussnig I don’t think volume adjustment is necessary, since no instruments overlap like on ensemble hi and low patches. BBCSO doesn’t have ensemble patches. We’re talking about making an “ensemble track stack” based on longs and shorts.

Maybe I really didn't understand this correctly, but my impression of the original post is that @mybadmemory created playable ensemble patches which use all instruments from that ensemble. So if for example I have a strings long patch and I play in a certain range, only the violins will play but in other ranges the violins and violas will play together. Obviously, if it's just for sketching, then this is not too important - but in general, it would matter for sure ...
 
OP
mybadmemory

mybadmemory

Senior Member
Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
I did not adjust any ranges or volumes yet, I might get back to that, but for now it's just all layered and playing at once as long as it's within range. I honestly expected much more obvious overlaps, but to my surprise they are not very noticeable at all. Even less so than in some actual ensemble libraries I have.

Apart from making BBCSO more playable and sketch-friendly, I also think this gives it a new and much fuller extra layer of sound to work with as well. Playing the full strings and brass ensembles sounds massive! And the solo woodwinds combined are a beautiful sound as well! Feels like another free update!
 
Top Bottom