What's new

BBC Symphony Orchestra – Available to Pre-Order!

Judging by what Christian said during the keynote how they really think this library can be used as a sort of universal toolset for educational material, maybe they’ll release the MIDI files for some of these demos (I believe they certainly will for some other public domain works per the keynote). A great way for the rest of us to not only understand the composing and orchestration but also the programming nuances! Honestly it is in Spitfire’s best interest if more folks can squeeze great demos and pieces out of their tools.

but MIDI files doesnt contain the CC data right ? i recalled important midi files but can't import CC data into FL Studio. hmmm

CC is part of the midi.
When exporting, it is possible to set that the controller data is included in midi or not. (in cubase at least)

MIDI files would be fun - assuming that the demos weren't created using DAW specific technologies - e.g articulation maps and scripting in Logic.

Also, don't forget that you'd then have to manually set up all the VI's in your DAW to follow any keyswitching, midi channels etc. More likely is that SF will release entire DAW projects, as they've already hinted at in the case of Logic.

A question for the Spitfire Crew:

The Studio Orchestra was recorded in the same room as BHCT, and the BBCSO in a smaller room compared to the Symphony Series.

Is it possible to adapt the BHCT and BBCSO spatially so that they harmonize with each other on the basis of the microphoning in the BBCSO?

MIDI files would be fun - assuming that the demos weren't created using DAW specific technologies - e.g articulation maps and scripting in Logic.

Also, don't forget that you'd then have to manually set up all the VI's in your DAW to follow any keyswitching, midi channels etc. More likely is that SF will release entire DAW projects, as they've already hinted at in the case of Logic.

I think I read somewhere Andy Blaney uses custom Logic keyswitches or something

A question for the Spitfire Crew:

The Studio Orchestra was recorded in the same room as BHCT, and the BBCSO in a smaller room compared to the Symphony Series.

Is it possible to adapt the BHCT and BBCSO spatially so that they harmonize with each other on the basis of the microphoning in the BBCSO?
I’m also very curious how BHCT and BBC would layer.. It would be really cool to see Christian’s SSO vs BHCT redone with BBC and BHCT.

I’m also very curious how BHCT and BBC would layer.. It would be really cool to see Christian’s SSO vs BHCT redone with BBC and BHCT.
That's a relatively important question for me, since i'm definitely going to get the BHCT. If theStudio Orchestra is the only practical solution to combine that, it will be a difficult decision for me to choose the BBCSO.

They'll sell them. Most people will go over their data limits downloading this. I'm going to get a nice m.2 drive, but if I had to worry about download limits, I'd probably buy their drive.

Don't forget the other option - you could order it on their standard hard drive rather than the SSD. Then just copy it over if you have an SSD with enough space. If you don't then the Spitfire SSD, at least at the promo price, is the best way unless you have the time and patience for such a download.

How does BBC layer with SStS supplemented with SsS and BHCT in comparison to BBC as a foundation for SSCS with SStB with some OACT layered in?

In looking thru the string articulations I saw no mention of con sordino... or maybe I missed it?
[edit]

Ah, just saw it... patches labeled “CS”

duh.

Last edited:
The main appeal of this library is the package as a whole, and its relatively low system requirements given its scope, covering the entire orchestra.

The articulation list exceeds my expectations, however, my main concern here is inconsistency between articulations and missing dynamic layers across sections (this being a common problem with this genre of sample libraries, and with Spitfire). Given that this is locked to their own sampler, any such limitations may be hidden until users get hands-on.

As far as sonic quality goes, Spitfire has always been near the top of the game. This doesn't sound particularly better or worse than their other offerings.

So unless I misunderstood something fundamental, it seems like this is quite light on resources (RAM, specifically...)? As part of that competition, the figure of 11.4GB was to load the whole damn orchestra? If so, that's blowing my mind for some reason.

The mentioned RAM is for the template ready for streaming from disc, so the buffers are loaded ready to play and record. But keep in mind streaming from disc needs additional RAM too. Every sample has to go through RAM while streaming. It's temporary and will be overwritten by the following samples. So it mainly depends on the traffic caused by the music how much RAM is actually needed.

The mentioned RAM is for the template ready for streaming from disc, so the buffers are loaded ready to play and record. But keep in mind streaming from disc needs additional RAM too. Every sample has to go through RAM while streaming. It's temporary and will be overwritten by the following samples. So it mainly depends on the traffic caused by the music how much RAM is actually needed.

Ah, ok got it. So the actual RAM needed at any given point will be dictated by how much 'music' (I guess separate voices from separate samples) are being required simultaneously? Just wondered if my 32gb would be edging it, or not. I guess too many variables to say, so what you're saying to me and my wife is that I should buy a new computer with 128GB of RAM. I'll let her know.

Top Bottom