BBC SO or Spitfire Studio Orchestra Pro?

Sears Poncho

We disagree, Poncho. As much as Nanook and the fur trapper did.

And I hope you're not implying that I don't understand
No, I'm not implying anything towards you. You don't like the product. There's a whole friggin thread about it, with you berating people if they dare to like something that you don't. So no, I wouldn't imply anything towards you. You don't like the product, big whoop. You've made that oh so clear. Now pay attention, so that I may skool ye:

I don't like yams. Yet, I DO like "Last Christmas" by Wham! Everybody must, since I do. Also, Superman rocks, whilst Iron Man is a bit of a pussy. The funniest Stooge by far, hands down? Shemp. No contest. Everyone must agree.

Star Wars? Yuck. Star Trek? Yeah baby, it's the shiznit.
Robert Schumann? Meh. William Schuman- fantastic. Feel free to google the latter.
Mary Ann vs Ginger? I'm getting older, Mrs. Howell is looking pretty foxy, especially in those tight capri pants.
Greatest composer? Bartok. It's in the Bible. Near the back.
Greatest film? Being There. Again, Bible. Back.

"Wonderful Christmastime" by Sir Paul? Good song, catchy. I have spoken.
Epstein? Probably suicide. Probably.
Epstein's mother? Wrote Juan many hilarious notes.
Dogs or Cats? Both, baby, both.
Wearing white after Labor Day? Hmmm, that's a tough one. Gonna have to give it more thought.
Berating someone because they like a library that you don't like? Lame.

Now, study my list. It's the only one that matters. THERE WILL BE NO DISSENSION.

P.S. I've attached an audio clip.

Attachments

Wolfie2112

I quite like the Studio Series. I brought the core version on discount for "light orchestra use" and media type stuff. For that, it's fantastic. It is a bit of a red-headed stepchild though - the brass in particular has a lot of "niggles" to work around.
I also bought the discounted core series on a whim! Love the strings, love the winds, but the brass definitely has "niggles". There is a 10GB update I haven't downloaded yet, maybe there's some nice gems in there. But otherwise, I find the brass very synthetic. The solo trumpet, however, is fantastic.

cqd

Well, if someone didn't like 'Last Christmas' there's probably something wrong with them..

Alex Fraser

I don't like yams. Yet, I DO like "Last Christmas" by Wham! Everybody must, since I do.
Correct, doing well so far.
Also, Superman rocks, whilst Iron Man is a bit of a pussy.
But Iron Man is way cooler.
The funniest Stooge by far, hands down? Shemp. No contest. Everyone must agree.
Never liked 'em.
Star Wars? Yuck. Star Trek? Yeah baby, it's the shiznit.
My wife would agree, but I don't. Star Wars FTW.
Robert Schumann? Meh. William Schuman- fantastic. Feel free to google the latter.
(Requires Google.)
Mary Ann vs Ginger? I'm getting older, Mrs. Howell is looking pretty foxy, especially in those tight capri pants.
Correct.
Greatest composer? Bartok. It's in the Bible. Near the back.
John Williams. ;)
Greatest film? Being There. Again, Bible. Back.
Star Wars EP 4. Detecting a theme yet?
"Wonderful Christmastime" by Sir Paul? Good song, catchy. I have spoken.
No, that's like a delay pedal on speed.
Epstein? Probably suicide. Probably.
Epstein's mother? Wrote Juan many hilarious notes.
Dogs or Cats? Both, baby, both.
Neither, baby. Neither.
Wearing white after Labor Day? Hmmm, that's a tough one. Gonna have to give it more thought.
What's Labor Day?

We disagree, Poncho. As much as Nanook and the fur trapper did.

And I hope you're not implying that I don't understand the effect a room has on the sound of instruments, or that I'm ignorant of the fact that a library can only be judged fairly when used properly. I know all that. In fact, it's precisely because of knowing that, that I'm as disappointed in this set as I am.

Unlike what you suggest, the Studio Series libraries don't work very well together at all, in my experience. (Which I don't find surprising, as they don't convince on their own either.) I still have to hear the first example of work done with this set, by the way, that might make me want to revise that opinion. If you happen to have an audio example available, or can point to one, which demonstrates all the qualities you speak of, I'd love to give it a listen.

Everything I've heard done with the Studio Series so far (beyond slow smeary chords or pseudo-Scandi nihilism), and everything I've done with it myself, sounds disjointed, uncohesive and always very 'sampled'. *Very* sampled. Also, many of the timbres of the wind and brass instruments are a bit too far removed from how I like these things to sound.

And no, I didn't purchase this series to do the things which you suggest we'd do with them. I had hoped for a not-too-wet-sounding versatile chamber orchestra that is capable of both the intimate and tender as well as the lively, cheerful and jaunty. For the strings, that would have translated into "Sable without Lyndhurst but with a nice, non-intrusive studio ambience instead". And for both the winds and the brass I had expected, again, high-quality libraries with Sable-like depth, detail, agility and timbral accuracy, but recorded in a dry-ish studio. On paper, the Studio Series is exactly that. In reality however, this set doesn't even begin to come close, failing as it does in just too many areas to even contemplate the illusion of a great-sounding, versatile chamber orchestra with it. (Again: according to my idea of what such an orchestra should sound like, which, granted, is a personal preference.)

Apart from the sound and timbres which I happen not to like, and ignoring the often problematic programming and absent quality control for a benign second, my biggest misgiving about the library, is the very limited scope of things it can do well. Unfortunately, the things it can do well — or reasonably well, anyway — fall almost all outside of the range of things I had hoped to do with it.

So, I'm certainly not questioning the satisfaction anyone else might derive from this set, but satisfaction of any kind is the last thing that I will ever associate with this threesome.

_
You know, I basically agree with you and it's painful to say. I bought the entire pro version of this series hoping for a newer more full version of SCS quality or better but without any baked in room. I've found that it's not even close to SCS quality and the brass in particular is laughably synthetic. Every so often I'll load a patch and try to play with it and I just have gotten zero mileage out of it. Maybe the woods could work their way into something at some point, but I'm skeptical.

I like BHCT much better and I was hoping for an expanded version of that given the room. It just fails and they moved on right away to the next big thing. It's part of why I haven't bought the BBC. I'm now doubtful of Spitfire even though I have a lot invested. i'm still in the market for a dry full orchestra for rock and pop productions, NOT orchestral mock ups.