What's new

Batch Resave

DownUp

I use Kontakt for idk, and I never understood what the "Batch Resave" is doing. Of course, I use it all the time to speed loading, but I will appreciate if someone will explain the technical operation, cons, pros (except speeding things) that goes behind the scenes. A referral that explains it also will be appreciated. Thanks guys

I use Kontakt for idk, and I never understood what the "Batch Resave" is doing. Of course, I use it all the time to speed loading, but I will appreciate if someone will explain the technical operation, cons, pros (except speeding things) that goes behind the scenes. A referral that explains it also will be appreciated. Thanks guys

https://soundiron.com/pages/pro-tip...r-libraries-to-speed-up-instrument-load-times

The only con I can think of is that you have to do it again if you've moved the original location of a sample library (say, if you have copied the library on an external HDD/SSD and wish to load it from there).

Not sure if that link indeed tells you what it is doing.
Until someone more knowledgeable like Mario (ED) steps in, what I understand it to be doing is two fold.
Firstly making sure all your Kontakt knows where all your samples for the patches you resave are and as Kontakt versions increase I imagine it must be doing some kind of parameter conversions from patches created from older versions of Kontakt. Batch resaves I imagine, is doing the conversion and resaving the patch (which is why the patch is no longer compatible with older versions of Kontakt), so that when you load it in your current Kontakt version it no longer has to do any conversion or finding files and loads quicker.
rsp

Firstly making sure all your Kontakt knows where all your samples for the patches you resave

Yes.

and as Kontakt versions increase I imagine it must be doing some kind of parameter conversions from patches created from older versions of Kontakt.

Not quite. It just changes the version flag on the NKIs. If NKIs being batch resaved are prior to version 4.2, they are converted from the old packed XML format, to the new binary format, but majority of libraries out there are already in binary format, so there's no parameter conversion happening at all.

Thanks for your answers. Does something happen to the library's files themselves?

NKI files, yes. Other files, no.

ED ..... can you clarify proper place to Batch-resave with Large libraries ??
Example: Just added several during Sonokinetic Xmas Sale.
In K5 Libraries: SOTTO: displays Instruments, then 16 bit folder and 24 bit folder. Inside each there are Brass, Strings, Woodwinds __ .nki selections. Where should Batch-resave be done for this SOTTO example ??

In cases where we have replaced a drive with a new one, we have cloned all the data from the old to the new. The names of the 2 drives are exactly the same. There is not a need to re-batch in this situation correct???

I’ve never understood why this doesn’t just happen automatically when you install a new library - always seemed funny to me with Kontakt libs that you have to manually do a batch resave to speed up the loading process?!

I have often collaborations where we have to send Logic songs back and forth. We only use Kontakt libraries we have on both systems. When opening the song on another system Kontakt asks every time for the samples and we have to click "Search Spotlight" for every single loaded Kontakt track.

Is there a way to tell Kontakt where to look for samples on another system? Or kind of "if you can't find the samples ask Spotlight" for every track?

Yes.

Not quite. It just changes the version flag on the NKIs. If NKIs being batch resaved are prior to version 4.2, they are converted from the old packed XML format, to the new binary format, but majority of libraries out there are already in binary format, so there's no parameter conversion happening at all.

Hmmm.. so libraries post 4.2 don't benefit in load time whether you had did a batch resave in K5, or K5.5 or K5.7?
I swear on my end they seem to do so.

rsp

That's because by doing a batch resave, you ARE going through all those files, and they get cached, so any subsequent loads are faster. Also, for KP libraries, it depends on whether encoding was done on a Mac or a PC, if the user uses the opposite platform, for whatever reason load times are slowed down (I think this is down to flipping one bit in .nkc files, which batch resave resolves).

I have often collaborations where we have to send Logic songs back and forth. We only use Kontakt libraries we have on both systems. When opening the song on another system Kontakt asks every time for the samples and we have to click "Search Spotlight" for every single loaded Kontakt track.

Is there a way to tell Kontakt where to look for samples on another system? Or kind of "if you can't find the samples ask Spotlight" for every track?

Yes, I would love an answer to that as well.

If the drives weren't named exactly the same and paths to libraries aren't exactly the same, that's what you'll get...

AFAIK there's no way to do this for all Kontakt instances in the project, at all, BUT, you can try using the "keep search mode and search folders for current session" checkbox. Then you point to your drive with libraries once and that's it. But of course, that will fall apart if you have libraries spread over multiple drives.

Top Bottom