What's new

Bass VST for prog rock

Speaking as a bass player I quite like the sound of the Scarbee Rickenbacker. I play a precision mostly and love the sound of my jazz bass but I think the ric is the nicest of the NI ones. Although saying that I found myself recording a bass line with the Scarbee P bass without thinking that I could just play it for real...

I was also impressed with the demo videos for Modo Bass but bring a bassist I've never bought it.

With regards to the prog rock sound, the Ric reminds me of Geddy Lee at his finest

My favorite bass for everything-except-for-things-that-need-a-Rickenbacker is Prominy's SR-5, recently updated to SR5 II (a killer, very metal-friendly, 26GB-large MusicMan® StingRay®5 library).

I think that it sounds fantastic right out of the box and, if you're willing to take the time to peruse the manual and learn about all of the things that it can do via keyswitches (or if you're a Cubendo user, via a home-rolled Expression Map) — and, to a lesser extent, if you at least pay attention to each note's velocity — you will be rewarded with granular control over a tremendous amount of customizable playability on a great-sounding instrument.

For things-that-need-a-Rickenbacker, I too reach for the Scarbee Rick. Mr. Skarbye was making well-received libraries since way back in the heady days of GigaStudio (weeps gently for a moment), and he knew what he was doing when he put that library together.

My favorite bass for everything-except-for-things-that-need-a-Rickenbacker is Prominy's SR-5, recently updated to SR5 II (a killer, very metal-friendly, 26GB-large MusicMan® StingRay®5 library).

I think that it sounds fantastic right out of the box and, if you're willing to take the time to peruse the manual and learn about all of the things that it can do via keyswitches (or if you're a Cubendo user, via a home-rolled Expression Map) — and, to a lesser extent, if you at least pay attention to each note's velocity — you will be rewarded with granular control over a tremendous amount of customizable playability on a great-sounding instrument.

For things-that-need-a-Rickenbacker, I too reach for the Scarbee Rick. Mr. Skarbye was making well-received libraries since way back in the heady days of GigaStudio (weeps gently for a moment), and he knew what he was doing when he put that library together.

Great info! Thanks

I like layering the Orange Tree Cherry Electric with the NI Rickenbacker. It gives me that double-layered bass sound (one direct track, one distorted) that you hear on a lot of the heavier rock stuff.

Top Bottom