What's new

Bandcamp and the risk of misusing your music!!

HarmonyCore

Hey Everyone,

In BC, people buy your music and download it indefinitely! This brings the discussion to the point where JohnG started a thread called "SoundCloud - BEWARE" and warned artists to avoid SC because of their policy and terms of using the music. I wonder if BC will be the same problem. I mean when people download the music, how will they use it? OR should I sell my music first to music libraries, register them to BMI and then later upload to online music streaming services like BC/SC?

What do you think?!

When they buy it.. they can then use it on their own devices.
Music can always then be misused. Same as it was when people recorded LPs to tape.
Bandcamp seems to me ok so far (though I did not read all their terms properly for all cases).
Soundcloud is fishy - as their business model was never really clear and they never managed to get into a real business model for musicians - all was half or quarter-assed concerning some transparency to public and what their aim was.
Bandcamp gets some cash from each sale, but that's really ok.

I have no idea though what it would mean legally concerning licencing if you published your music elsewhere first and then on BC.
If you are in doubt here I would contact BC for this.

people buy your music and download it indefinitely!

yes, this is how buying used to work. the streaming services have really brainwashed us when this is looked at as a bad thing. i can go grab a CD i purchased in the 90's and legally rip FLAC files to my computer today, i don't know why the idea of redownloading a file i purchase on BC 30 years down the road should be any different.

Music can always then be misused. Same as it was when people recorded LPs to tape.

this. until someone figures out how to DRM physical soundwaves, people are going to be able to record/copy/steal anything you do the minute it hits the internet in any capacity, if they want to.

until someone figures out how to DRM physical soundwaves

i bet some guys at the big labels are working on that as we speak. haha

it's perfectly ok for people to download and own your music. just like twincities said, we've gotten used to spotify & co, but 10 years ago, everyone owned the music they were listening to. owning a piece of music doesn't give one the right to license it in any shape or form, if that's what the OP is thinking :) actually, i remember when i was a kid i was reading the copyright label on the disc, and it said that you weren't even allowed to lend the disc to a friend :P

I remember on LPs inner sleeve they would say "Tapes are killing music"! When you buy old LPs it is so funny to see 😁

owning a piece of music doesn't give one the right to license it in any shape or form, if that's what the OP is thinking :)

Yes, exactly. I am concerned when my music gets purchased from BC by some music library and broadcasted the music without my permission claiming that they bought it from BC already so they own it. Sorry if it sounds a bit naive but I am learning the business side of things by thinking in a spooky way :)

Top Bottom