Balding. Hair loss -> Minoxidil

Discussion in 'OFF-TOPICS - General Musings' started by C M Dess, Jan 1, 2019.

1. C M Dess

C M Dess Active Member

For others out there with this problem, I have been using this minoxidil for about 3 months and it seems to be working. I'm not kidding.

I started losing my hair in the crown at about 13 after a bad dietary decision involving sharp weight loss. My patch stayed the same for many years, I did try this previously but I was not very regimented at the time and just assumed it didn't work.

Now at 36 I have tried it again and after 3 months I am seeing some fuzz. It's pretty exciting even though it's minimal for the time being. I think my diet still needs tweaking as it definitely seems to have adverse effects when I don't get enough calories.

I don't know about the other stuff out there. I have also been brushing it more and using onion in between doses.

I actually have video of before but I'm waiting till after it's a bit more full because the original is pretty horrific.

I haven't tried laser comb, or prp. I had planed to try prp but I'm holding off to see how the stuff I'm using works.

I've been using the WalMart brand so it's only like 15 bucks for 3 month supply.

2. Guffy

Guffy Member Of The Year

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    What kind of dietary decisions made you lose hair?

Minoxidil does work apparantly but it comes with a wide range of side effects, and you have to stay on it for life (if you wanna keep the resulting hair growth that is)

3. d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
  4. OP
    OP
    C M Dess

C M Dess Active Member

I'll put it this way...I figured out how to lose 2 pounds a day. I did this for about 4 months off and on can't remember how long exactly. Then I noticed it was thin in the crown. Then it kept getting thinner until scalp o plenty.

Originally I was about 220 and got down to 155. Mostly hair I guess...hah.

Yes I'm keeping the side effects in mind, I don't do any other drugs but I drink way too much coffee. I don't drink alcohol. I'm getting up their in man years though so it would be hard to say I can spot a direct cause if one should occur.

5. WindcryMusic

WindcryMusic Always learning

Oct 19, 2015
    I’ve started losing my hair (and rather rapidly) in just the last year or so, but I’m in my late 50’s now so I guess that shouldn’t have been too shocking. Nonetheless, I was pretty stunned when I first noticed it … until then I’d expected to be like my maternal grandfather and keep my hair until my dying day.

I looked at Minoxidil information online ... for about 30 seconds, until I saw the side effects. I already have enough problems with dizziness and tiredness due to other chronic health conditions, and I quickly concluded that I’m not going to be so vain about my hair as to risk exacerbating those issues. It’s been a long time since I had any expectation of impressing anyone with my looks, anyway ... and if baldness is good enough for Zimmer and Williams, then it will be more than good enough for me.

Fredeke and MartinH. like this.
  6. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    I’m closing in on 60 don’t look or feel it but the gray just started and my hair is thinning. I bought spray on shit for my crown.
    I noticed it from a picture under stage lighting taken from above. Even though you can tell from the ground because I’m over 6 ft, what if a Hot babe is in the catwalk above? I got concerned so broke down and got some.

It actually is a decent gel too.

Phillip Dixon and d.healey like this.
  7. Killiard

Killiard Active Member

Jan 26, 2014
    I'm 36 too and my hair has been thinning straight down the middle and crown for four or five years now. I wasn't losing any sleep over it but it was getting to the point where the barbers were starting to cut my hair like a comb-over to the middle. One day I just thought "to hell with it", and shaved it all off. Best decision I've ever made (hair related :)) and I wish I'd done it years earlier.

I did briefly look at minoxidil but the idea of using it constantly (and the side effects) for the next 40 years seemed a bit mad to me. There's something quite empowering about just shaving it all off!

8. MatFluor

MatFluor Senior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Switzerland
    33 here, started thinning out in the front some years back.

Then last year or two years ago, I looked at my head, saw the thinning in the front would look like crap trying to cover it up somehow (and with hats or warm weather, you see it anyway.

So, shaved it off. Took a while to get used to it, but I don't regret that decision at all. Rather shave my head once/twice a week then applying some shady magic-water. Plus the skin on my head is in better shape than ever before.

Shaved/Bald head + some facial hair = insta-win.

9. Vardaro

Vardaro Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Near Paris, France
    As some folk give up cigarettes, I've given up hair, so I look slightly less than my 70yrs.. For playing orchestral viola in freezing cold churches, though, I shall invest in a wig (I already have finger-less mittens!)

10. OP
    OP
    C M Dess

C M Dess Active Member

The toppik stuff is amazing but it falls out too easy or I'd just use that.

I'm thinking they will have better hair therapies down the road (than PRP injections) and this won't be an issue if I'm still around. The stuff is just a bandaid for the moment. In fact my guess is the therapy exists and is suppressed by the usual suspects who don't want alternative cures known.

I would have shaved my head years ago but my skull is small and it doesn't look right, some guys have good sized skulls, plus I have some strange big freckles/marks in that area so it's a mess either way.

Typical scenario with me, try to solve one problem that may have gone away more normally, only to create a permanent problem which probably messed up other stuff too.

11. chimuelo

chimuelo Star Of Stage & Screen

May 14, 2007
    Between 120-150bpm
    My sentiments exactly.
    Ever since Trump took office I’ve seen his scalp for 2 years now.
    I could never try and keep such a nest on my head.
    When it starts needing to be combed in a certain way, I’ll take advantage of my Telly Savales attributes and become Kojak Of Keyboards.

C M Dess likes this.
  12. puremusic

puremusic Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    I don't have thinning hair issues, I have nice thick Italian hair, but I periodically get bad eczema, which requires cortisone cream to clear up, so periodically I just shave it all off to treat it.

The funny looks a fellow gets from going bald actually can be a great ice breaker, and it sure is nice and cool.

13. PeterN

PeterN Senior Member

Jun 27, 2017
    My hair got thin due to near nearly dying in Himalayas - twice - but it already started to thin out before that, when I made chewing tobacco in China and used wrong chemicals. So it was from heavy metal poisoning, and it never grew back.

Now, a few years later, Im proud of this shit. Like a real tattoo, sort of. Its a "scar from real life" and why to hide it with a wig. I tried a wig once, price was 500 EUR, and you looked like fuckin Beethoven.

Take it as an emblem of living. Suits John Travolta too.

C M Dess likes this.
  14. d.healey

d.healey Music Monkey

Nov 2, 2011
    England
  15. Morning Coffee

Morning Coffee Active Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Ha! Was not expecting to see a topic like this here!

I started losing my hair in my mid 20's, a real shite time for it to happen. My Doc said it was straight ahead male pattern baldness. but I think it was because I had to tie back my long hair and wear a cap everyday for years, for work purposes. Sadly, in my self pity, it stopped me from going out as much as I would have liked for a few years, which was a dreadful waste of time in that period of my life. because you don't get your youth back. One day I shaved my head and embraced my baldness and that was it. Sure, I wouldn't mind having the ability to grow my long locks of hair back as I was always into long hair, but a lot of men look really good, bald. The only thing that worries me now are my moobs ha ha.

If something makes your hair grow back naturally, then good, but I think the hairloss/regrow your hair industry is a bit of a scam.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. Parsifal666

Parsifal666 I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

Sep 7, 2015
    E. YeeHaw, Indiana
    Hair is seemingly such a big deal. I'm a little past middle age, and I've had bald men my own age take one look at my over-half-way-down-my-back tresses and get really heated.

I was at Hannaford's shopping once, and one of those bald guys actually yelled (while gripping the shiny top of his head) "you bastard! I used to have hair, dammit!".

David Cuny and Sami like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    C M Dess

C M Dess Active Member

Here's some photos (3 months). I thought it was snake oil too but it's making a slight improvement. What's hard to see in the shitty photos from my phone (which are cropped from videos) are some long hairs forming. They clump together after the application. I am putting it directly over the affected area which is the crown. Basically it's about the size of a yarmulke. To the untrained eye the difference is marginal. To the person who wants this to work after all the money, enthusiasm and time dumped into it, the difference is substantial. haha.

I dunno if "that's it" or there's more, this stuff takes forever and it definitely plays with your head looking at hair and the different lighting, clumping, wetness effects. The only side effect is I am getting more nightmares but that could also be because I'm using the heater more and my house doesn't have a humidifier and I'm ok with nightmares anyway.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 2.38.19 PM.png

Here's a shot that captures the fuzzy clusters. It's in the dark and grainy but gives a better example than the light over head shots. Those clusters weren't there for decades prior. I can see them but the camera is too lofi.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 4.49.09 PM.png

Best lighting and accuracy combo...it's for hair for all, you understand.
    Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 5.10.45 PM.png

They should just make a drug that makes you think you have hair, much simpler that way. Same drug for your wife (to think you have hair).

Also a drug to make you think you're way smarter than you are, call it, CoughEee. PATENT

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  18. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
  19. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    If I ever develop a sense of humor, I’m going to cover my entire (bald) scalp with a hair tattoo. Something 3-D looking.

chimuelo and C M Dess like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    C M Dess

C M Dess Active Member

3D printers now have a useful purpose. ;)

I photoshopped this but it's barely noticeable.

Nerd_with_Glasses_Emoji.png

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    OleJoergensen likes this.