What's new

Baiãoloco

Craig Sharmat

love the writing!

I love the way you use EIS in many ways...especially love the slow section. Strings have trouble keeping up in the faster passages from a mockup standpoint.

Really terrific!

Dan Selby

Just echoing what Craig said, Leo - this is really terrific writing and I loved it!

There is a lot of stuff in this piece which, if used differently or in the wrong hands, could be potentially challenging and off-putting to many listeners. You really successfully balance these elements, never straying too far from the underlying tonality so that the lightness and sense of fun runs throughout and the piece remains really accessible. One of the criticisms people sometimes level at EIS is that it can create work which is clever or academic but not very musically accessible - a tough listen.

...What I really admire about your writing is the way you have been able to consistently incorporate EIS to create sophisticated by also very accessible and musically pleasing work (something I admire in lots of Craig's writing too, BTW).

Great stuff! :D

OP
Leandro Gardini

Leandro Gardini

Craig, you are right about the strings. I made an effort to make it sound the way a real ensemble would play but unfortunately I couldn´t get the sound. When my samples can´t sound as good as what I had in my mind I tend to regret writing for real instruments instead of samples, but this is something I don´t want to change. All my compositions and orchestrations are made for real players and even though the samples can´t do some articulations I´m sure my music with some god players will sound right. I think you can learn much more writing for players than samples!!!
Dan, this music is in C major :). Yes I don´t like very complicated musics but there´s something I must say: usually my musics ARE much more complicated than what they SOUND. I mean that if you want you can sound much more complex with much less than what I used. Maybe a few bars of book II (our basic theory) can sound much more complex than what I´ve done in this piece, but actually when I´m writing I´m more concerned about the final sound than if it´s simple or complex. EIS provided me a much greater vocabulary of expressions and today I make use of them in a way I think sounds sensible for everyone!!!
Johnny, I won´t post my hard work publicly. If you are an EIS student yet I´l be glad to send you a copy of it!!!

Top Bottom