What's new

Backup options? (SSD vs. Cloud)

Sorry of this is common knowledge.
How do you get your samples to backup to dropbox automatically from an external drive?
Is there a tutorial anywhere?

Really what I'd like is for my external sample SSD to be cloned to dropbox automatically.
Is there a good way to do so (with minimal manual steps).

In my case they’re all on the same physical SSD drive, I just have an extra online ”just in case everything burns down” solution by putting all samples, recordings and projects in my dropbox folder.

I saw some workarounds online, but nothing I came across felt good.
So I basically got a 4 TB SSD for my laptop and run everything from one drive.

Sorry of this is common knowledge.
How do you get your samples to backup to dropbox automatically from an external drive?
Is there a tutorial anywhere?

Really what I'd like is for my external sample SSD to be cloned to dropbox automatically.
Is there a good way to do so (with minimal manual steps).

In my case they’re all on the same physical SSD drive, I just have an extra online ”just in case everything burns down” solution by putting all samples, recordings and projects in my dropbox folder.

I saw some workarounds online, but nothing I came across felt good.
So I basically got a 4 TB SSD for my laptop and run everything from one drive.
Does that work for you? Samples + OS on same SSD? Sounds very sensible.

Does that work for you? Samples + OS on same SSD? Sounds very sensible.

It works for me, but I don’t have an ”insane” dfd-based template with hundreds of tracks unlike most members here [/JOKE] 😂

With a modern laptop/desktop with a decent amount of RAM i don’t see why it shouldn’t work as long as you don’t go overboard, it sure as hell made my life a lot easier

I use Backblaze and love it. I never notice anything slowing down. When you sync for the first time, it will take a long time depending on how many drives / TB, but once it's done, it just sits there unobtrusively.

I also keep a backup on removable drives. This is a quick remedy if a drive goes down, or if I lost a file, but useless for catastrophe. So that's why I have Backblaze in addition.

I used to do the bank thing too, but it was just too much of a pain to go get them, sync, and then go back to the bank. Too much time went between syncs. So this other way works better.

Speaking of BACKUPS, in the Mac world one should be leery of using TimeMachine as a full system backup. TimeMachine does NOT backup everything. Passwords, logins, library authentications, etc. are NOT backed up as you'll find out when doing a full TimeMachine restore. All those need to re-entered. TimeMachine is extremely useful for file restorations, but if your system crapped out on you and need to get up and running quickly, then consider Carbon Copy Cloner which makes an exact image copy of system including all the password, logins, authentications, etc. My solution is to use both TimeMachine and Carbon Copy Cloner.

Top Bottom