What's new

Avid Dock for Cubase...thoughts?

pmountford

With Avid just releasing the S1 and S4 mixers its made me look at the Avid Dock. Are there any users here happily using the Dock with Cubase 10 and being Eucon based does it have that most desired ability of following the selected track?

Currently stuck with Mackie Pro which although nice and solid, its a pita for mixing with large templates.

Following! Had the exact same question when seeing the new s1
You might be folowing for some time as I'm struggling to find much info on the Steinberg forum re Pro Tools Dock and Cubase...but here's hoping...

The new S1 looks great. I hope it's possible to not use the table dock on it and just unscrew that whole thing from it, haha.

Anyway, the Artist Mix is able to follow selection afaik. And at the same time to lock to channels, or even do CC. And all of that at the same time.

- Piotr

Currently there is a bug in Cubase & iPad Control software that is crashing the app if there are x number of tracks. That bug has been there a long time and I asked about it in Avid forum (there is a thread about it in the Control subthread). That is holding me back personally. I think you can test if the bug is there by loading the free app and use it with bigger Cubase projects.

The dock and the new S1 is on my maybe-list as well. S1 looks pretty good and well built.

Currently there is a bug in Cubase & iPad Control software that is crashing the app if there are x number of tracks
Ah, yes, I did see a reference to this on the Steinberg forum. Someone reached 36 tracks but another was fine with 80. That was 17 months ago so not good to hear if the bug is still here and its not been addressed by yet.

I wonder if the new S1 will still follow CC's in Cubase? Also, do we have the price yet on the S1 ?

I wonder if the new S1 will still follow CC's in Cubase? Also, do we have the price yet on the S1 ?
From https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/2019/7/17/avid-s1-eucon-control-surface-announced-what-you-need-to-know (pro-tools-expert.com): "Avid intend to show the Avid S1 at both IBC in September and AES in October and the Avid S1 is expected to be available towards the end of this year and price to be confirmed but expect to be similar to the Artist Mix."

I can confirm the S1 and the Dock work amazingly well with Cubase 10.5

Eucon. Basically Eucon allows you to instantly select tracks. You don't have to do any of that nonsense of manually banking to the desired banks of 8 tracks. No, you just select any track in your template and voila, you are on the track. There is no other way to go.

I have no idea whether the fader will control Midi CCs yet but as I have just got a Dock for me personally instead of using at a studio, I'll be sure to find out. If not, then it's not a deal breaker for me as I have dedicated faders for CC control but it would be a nice touch, especially if you could use an S1 for CCs.

Cubase 11 now has integrated Eucon. And Nuendo is about to drop some very interesting news soon.
I also just tried an Avid MTRX interface with Cubase 10.5 and it all just ran faultlessly.

Very excited by all this to be fair! :)

Avid Dock.jpg IMG_5305.JPG

I can confirm the S1 and the Dock work amazingly well with Cubase 10.5

Eucon. Basically Eucon allows you to instantly select tracks. You don't have to do any of that nonsense of manually banking to the desired banks of 8 tracks. No, you just select any track in your template and voila, you are on the track. There is no other way to go.

I have no idea whether the fader will control Midi CCs yet but as I have just got a Dock for me personally instead of using at a studio, I'll be sure to find out. If not, then it's not a deal breaker for me as I have dedicated faders for CC control but it would be a nice touch, especially if you could use an S1 for CCs.

Cubase 11 now has integrated Eucon. And Nuendo is about to drop some very interesting news soon.
I also just tried an Avid MTRX interface with Cubase 10.5 and it all just ran faultlessly.

Very excited by all this to be fair! :)

Thanks for the info. If you don't mind, I would be really interested to know which level of integration with Cubase 11 can you expect. I didn't find any great info on this topic yet. Thanks again. :)

I may make a video using the Dock with Cubase but I have to say, so far I love the Dock. Riding automation in is fantastic. Definitely a luxuary compared to a mouse and keyboard. Do I need one to write music? No. Am I loving using it whilst writing music? Massive Yes.

67688B87-0938-4958-A3E9-743324828E18.jpeg
EFDD2832-EF77-4B91-91C4-F3A2664F2165.jpeg
What are you using for your touch-screen?

I may make a video using the Dock with Cubase but I have to say, so far I love the Dock. Riding automation in is fantastic. Definitely a luxuary compared to a mouse and keyboard. Do I need one to write music? No. Am I loving using it whilst writing music? Massive Yes.

67688B87-0938-4958-A3E9-743324828E18.jpeg
EFDD2832-EF77-4B91-91C4-F3A2664F2165.jpeg
Yeah, great idea re video! Would love to see as there is zilch out there about using the dock with Cubase that I've been able to find atleast. Love to know your thoughts on jog wheel, how well it integrates with Cubase, how you use the control ipad app with the rest of your setup. Which you find most useful between the dock and s1 (I know they're designed for different jobs but I guess there's some crossover? Eg. Transport buttons iirc). Thanks in advance 😃

Another bump to Jononotbono for a video :) I'm about to send back my SSL Nucleus 2. Damn shame. Just couldn't hold a consistent connection with Nuendo. I'm hoping Eucon is more stable. I use a switch to connect my ethernet gear and everything else works just fine. Le sigh.

I may make a video using the Dock with Cubase but I have to say, so far I love the Dock.

Another bump to Jononotbono for a video here too!

I'm having some trouble running just the latest Control app with EuControl 2020.11 and C11 pro. The metering is not working in all the track. With PT Ultimate works perfect.

I have the CC121 and I'm considering to replaced it with the Dock. Just to save some workspace. The CC121 is a tank. Great piece of gear but only for Steinberg.

I am using a S3 and Dock... Cubase and logic has its flaws... Eucon works great, but its a bit of a "compatibility mode"... Eucon Surfaces like the S6/4 and 3/1 plus Dock are shining in Protools Ultimate...
For Nuendo the perfect control surface is and will be Nuage...
But as a Protools User, i love to use my s3/dock combo at home...With the new version of Eucontrol, you get a desktop app to bring a virtual meter bridge to the S3...
But the best control surface out there is the S6...Its superior to the nuage system...
BUT if Nuendo would be my main workspace and daw...then definitly Nuage... I worked on it and its fantastic in combination with nuendo...

Thing is about Nuage is that you are tied to those sized screens. That’s annoying especially if you have bad eye sight. It’s so the faders will line up with what’s on the screen. And it’s beyond more expensive than it should be.

Top Bottom