What's new

Auras - Now £99

Thanks for the vid

Am I right in thinking that without an MPE controller there is no way to independently control parameters (pitch bend, cc1, cc11 etc) for more than one note at a time? Or put another way, all notes you play are affected at once?

B

Hey Brett,

Yes, that’s right. That is essentially what makes MPE what it is, so you can’t do polyphonic control per voice on any instrument you use unless an MPE device.

What is the workaround to get the most from your library then? Load multiple Kontakt instances?

There is no workaround to do that polyphonically if you don’t have an MPE instrument.

Otherwise you just use the expression the way you normally would with a sample or synth which is with the soundshaping affecting all voices simultaneously. If you look in the overview video it shows the library being used with a nanokontrol and lightpad block to perform the soundshaping in this fashion. We also have the slide and pressure controls of the Seaboard mirrored to modwheel and after touch so you could control it that way, although we find that aftertouch doesn’t really have the range of movement to allow you to control things particularly accurately.

Another interesting option is the Keith McMillen K-Board. Whilst not providing polyphonic control you can use pressure and tilt to shape the sound across all notes.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/keith-mcmi...pspGyqGx869tNpMtkEOkWEFsH7i9STooaAnpwEALw_wcB

The library is designed to be a really great sample library designed for traditional touch or fader controls but with the expanded option of MPE for those with MPE controllers.

I just wanted to say that it sounds really great and I don't even have an MPE instrument.
I will get one soon because I can't manage to make the Trauma Faith Noise patch to sound quite like your demo but I think it is totally related to the fact that I don't use the Seaboard...
The fact that I didn't need to EQ any of the patches yet is a really good sign, nice production guys!
Definitely will use it a lot in my next feature film!

Hey Brett,

Yes, that’s right. That is essentially what makes MPE what it is, so you can’t do polyphonic control per voice on any instrument you use unless an MPE device.
I hadn’t fully appreciated this either, but actually, your video was such a great demonstration of this in action: without the ROLI, the AURAs library would sound great just on a normal MIDI keyboard, but then when you hear the ROLI, and you hear the constraint of parameters having to effect all keys at once on the traditional keyboard, rather than individually as on the ROLI, it looks and sounds so limited by comparison.

I hadn’t considered the ROLI much before: tried it briefly in a shop, and didn’t really ‘get it’, but this could be what convinces me to try again. I hear you shouldn’t try to play it like a piano, despite the apparent similarity, and perhaps that’s what I was doing wrong? With a VI of this quality, it really makes me reconsider. Thank you - this is incredibly innovative.

Hi all,

The COLOURS overview video is now online.

Hopefully this helps explain a little bit more about this part of the library.

(Which we've got some awesome plans for in a future update ;))

P.S intro price ends this coming Friday (13th July)

Last edited:
I have to say this library is the best advertisement for the seaboard i've ever heard. No doubt we'll hear those sounds in many many movies in the forthcoming months. (No doubt many, including me, have now a seaboard block on their to buy list just for the pleasure to play this beauty). Sounds like a kind of Spitfire Evo vs Heavyocity Novo on steroïds !
What about a random function ala String Sudio Dark Matter ?

I hadn’t fully appreciated this either, but actually, your video was such a great demonstration of this in action: without the ROLI, the AURAs library would sound great just on a normal MIDI keyboard, but then when you hear the ROLI, and you hear the constraint of parameters having to effect all keys at once on the traditional keyboard, rather than individually as on the ROLI, it looks and sounds so limited by comparison.

I hadn’t considered the ROLI much before: tried it briefly in a shop, and didn’t really ‘get it’, but this could be what convinces me to try again. I hear you shouldn’t try to play it like a piano, despite the apparent similarity, and perhaps that’s what I was doing wrong? With a VI of this quality, it really makes me reconsider. Thank you - this is incredibly innovative.

Exactly. The ability to control the sound and shape of a note individually in a polyphonic performance of a digital instrument is genuinely a game changer. MPE is really starting to catch on as more products that exploit its possibilities start to come out. There's so much to be explored, both in the tools as that can be controlled by it and also the hardware that can control them, the Seaboard is just one example of how MPE can be used.

One of the key things to remember, regarding the seaboard for example, is that its not supposed to replace a keyboard. Its a completely different thing really, more like a fretless stringed instrument with a keyboard layout. Sometimes the on/off, hammer action nature of a piano/keyboard works and feels best for an instrument, but sometimes the malleable texture feel of seaboard takes a sound to another level. We felt this was particularly true for more 'sound designed' instruments where you can physically shape or sculpt the sounds with your fingers and what made us want to do AURAS. The sounds and shaping parameters still work really well with non-mpe controllers but you are limited to the 'monophonic' control of those parameters. That is a limitation of the controller not the library of course, and you get that with any software you use with traditional MIDI controllers.

I have to say this library is the best advertisement for the seaboard i've ever heard. No doubt we'll hear those sounds in many many movies in the forthcoming months. (No doubt many, including me, have now a seaboard block on their to buy list just for the pleasure to play this beauty). Sounds like a kind of Spitfire Evo vs Heavyocity Novo on steroïds !
What about a random function ala String Sudio Dark Matter ?

How does the random function work on the Dark Matter library? I don't know much about the String Audio stuff.

We have a random/shuffle feature in the COLOURS section of the library. We tried to keep the AURAS section more 'curated' with the emphasis being on controlling the sound through the performance parameters.

How does the random function work on the Dark Matter library?
I don't really know how it works, but over the years i noticed there's two kinds of random functionalities integrated in Vis : the ones like dark matter that produce interesting and usable results each time you hit the random button, and the others, where you end up with silence, or random noise'n'glitches - and once in a while with an interesting and usable result. Ksp wizardry, clever programing or very well curated raw sounds that work well together, i can't say.

I don't really know how it works, but over the years i noticed there's two kinds of random functionalities integrated in Vis : the ones like dark matter that produce interesting and usable results each time you hit the random button, and the others, where you end up with silence, or random noise'n'glitches - and once in a while with an interesting and usable result. Ksp wizardry, clever programing or very well curated raw sounds that work well together, i can't say.

Sorry, I didn’t mean how does the programming/scripting work, but what is it it is randomising? Is it effects, envelopes, sound sources, lfos, all of the above? Does it have controls for how the randomisation works? Probability etc?

We’ve got more ideas for the random/shuffle section (it was a late entry into the script/interface, so we’ve had more thoughts since) but interesting to hear how others work.

In fact there’s quite a few more ideas for the colours environment that we’re really excited to start developing. The plan for the arpeggiator section is to turn it into a motion/sequence section with some non-traditional linear and generative pattern sequencers. Hopefully we can pull it off as it should be really cool!

I generally don't work with synths, but I'm enthralled by some of these sounds. In particular the "Gamla Stan" patch. It sounds like something that would work with a particular type of orchestral track. Anyone have any guesses what this sound actually is? It's quite amazing.

Sorry, I didn’t mean how does the programming/scripting work, but what is it it is randomising? Is it effects, envelopes, sound sources, lfos, all of the above? Does it have controls for how the randomisation works? Probability etc?
Looks like it's randomizing the sound sources and the reverb sends. But the ability to choose the target and the amount of randomization should be even better (by the way, it may be the key between a useless and a good random). As i don't own Auras yet, i was not aware of this random/shuffle feature in the Colours area. (To be true i'm not sure i understand clearly the distinction between Colours and Auras except the fact the firsts are some basic components of the seconds. But i suppose it will become cristal clear after an hour with the lib).

Could you please list out all of the relevant MPE MIDI info for the library (channels, CCs, ranges, etc.)? I'm getting my LinnStrument this week and I'd like to know how to set it up. Thanks.

Top Bottom