What's new

Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings

Very interesting tests. Thanks for that. I really like the tone in the version with CSS and solo violins.. what exactly means “your solo violins”?

Also like the idea of arranging that for chamber strings 👍👍 nice to hear that. Maybe I should try that with MSS
The solo violins is just the combination of 5 solo violins from different libraries all on one midi track in Unify. Be good to hear the MSS version . If I buy it I will add the first chair to the 5 violions , I think it might work well, or use it with one of the divisi section to create a 2nd violin patch

Apologies if this has been asked already given the length of this thread... Has anyone done any MSS vs LASS direct video comparisons? Audiobro told me that the upcoming LASS 3 will only be a UI and Engine update, which i am totally stoked on... But do I need MSS too? haha.

I am very excited about the update. Got both MSS-libraries on the first day but didn't have time to explore them much.

@DarthSouls One question: How do you make the pitch and the expression map articulation visible in the notes in the key editor? That's pretty neat! 1614897538679.png
If your *Attribute* Expression Map has a description for the articulation, it automatically becomes the 'text'. And then it's simply a matter of zooming out. (You may need to fiddle a bit in the settings to get that right for your your screen setup).

Well done. I personally think the TV version sounds the best though, tonally. For some reason, MSS's tone is not quite clicking with me here, even with your EQ attempts. There's this overly strident quality that exists in LASS as well.
I like the tv version best too, it “sings” without being too trebly.
+ sounds like it could benefit from some missing harmonies so the bass doesnt sound so exposed and strident ?
I added a couple extra octaves I wasn’t hearing, to fill in a couple middle harmony places but I was trying to find those middle harmonies for sure. I wonder what the true sordino bass would sound like. The exposed bass esp in the opening was pretty difficult to tame while keeping the sub and deep low end big ... I might try Ark 2 low strings for this particular part someday.

Just gonna pile on some thoughts since I think some of the other reviews here are kind of overly negative. These are just impressions from playing with it (with their reverb off) and thinking ahead to server integration. I've yet to mock anything up but:

Sat with this library for the first time tonight and I have to say I am really impressed by the thought and detail that has gone into EVERYTHING.

From the degree of sampling to the articulation switching and controls for those of us who hate looking at UIs.

Well done Andrew and Sebastian. I personally feel justified in the expense. So thank you.

There are some scripting growing pains here, but I'm sure they'll be overcome. Libraries release updates and patches, this always happens with a big release (with software in general) where users find things the coders and testers didn't. People seem to take it personally like they were cheated out of their cash but it's like... that's how it has always worked. BBCSO release already forgotten? Hell I think SF is STILL releasing fixes for chamber strings! Anyway...

The divisi can get wonky-- I've experienced some phasing here and there, as well the engine not playing a note because it seems to not know which voice to release? Not something that can't be overcome with programming vs playing. And I'm personally getting enough hanging notes forcing me to hit the panic button in Kontakt that I'm a little nervous about how this is going to perform on a real mock-up, however that's me hamfisting a patch on a keyboard in a way I would never write with it.

I recall some people mentioning the vibrato elsewhere, I'm kind of glad it doesn't go as hard as CSS, that vib gets a little dramatic for me at times.

***I would also almost prefer the attack mods (Cres/Norm/Acc) were on switches personally but not a big deal.*** EDIT: Just to say that they actually DID put these on switches. I'm telling you guys, they thought of everything.

The Ostinatos are potentially cool, I kind of wish they worked like the ostinato tool for the shorts so you could get more interesting phrases; I think with some clever programming between the up and down patters it's possible to get cooler patterns sounding smoother so just a first impression there.

One of the main reasons I bought it was the scales patches and while it's a little more programming than I anticipated to get it sounding nice for my current use case, it's still promising and useful. The scale patch can be used to create some pretty quick easy ostinati as well, especially if you can switch off between Vlns 1 and 2 for the pattern to get less obvious reptition.

I don't see myself using the upper range of these Cellos, but the low and middle of the staff is great, good tone and playability overall. The ostinato patch sounds particularly good on these IMO. The tail is a taaaad weak but with something else just to fill in the gap, real nice. like *really* nice. if someone other than a few pro mockup artists i know could program something in another library that sounded even close to these i'd be pretty blown away.

The solo cello is a little more tolerable in the upper range but I'm not sure it does something CSSS doesn't already do for me-- except for the scales patches which is great, and on some articulations the samples themselves might actually sound better once programmed. if you don't own CSSS then this could be a nice bonus coverage for you.

I'll lastly also say since this is my first AudioBro library-- I just never wanted LASS-- the customer service here is above and beyond. Been getting questions/issues answered by Andrew via email all weekend. So while I'm not surprised to see certain people in this thread I've seen elsewhere always talking sh*t, I think some of the harshness is kind of unwarranted and since an update is coming to at least be a little patient and see how that plays out. This thing is pretty deep and there's plenty of great bits that work very well to keep you at bay for now if you own even one other popular string library.

Last edited:
Top Bottom